Shoulder Rig

SCULDER

Oct 26, 2010
sengkang
www.w1snu.com
Sorry if this had been posted before, but I just wanna know what make a Shoulder Rig so expensive?
It's not more difficult to make than a tripod. Even we still can find a tripod below $50.

Is it because of new technology? New hype on DSLR filming?
The cheapest I found is $100... And it's without the focus puller.
Then I found alot of DIY rig in youtube. Some has better design than the hundreds $$$ sell at SimLim.
It's not that I'm a cheapskate or something, but like I said, what makes it expensive?
Can we discuss and share opinion here?

It is expensive because of the materials used to manufacture the product. Some use carbon fiber, some use alloys, others use aluminium which adds more weight to your shoulders. It lasts longer and is as durable as a rock. Cheaper ones or DIY's tend to break more easily and doesn't really have warranty obviously. It is like choosing to get a D3s or a D3000. You obviously know their price difference and how different they are. But they both can take pictures so why buy the D3s? You know that answer. Same as what you are asking now.

well if you hunt/lurk more.

you can find basic set of dslr rig (mattebox, follow focus, rails + shoulder rig itself) for just under S$300.

But i agree with you though, some stuff just doesn't make any sense. tiny little piece of metal/plastic can cost over $200, whereby some other un-related item with same volume/material cost less than $50.

i personally go poorman way, lots of DIY :D

Simple ... Lack of demand ...

If you are running a shop, you won't want to sell an item that sells 1-2 pc per week for only $30 margin. Unlike Mixed rice whom you can earn $1 each time but sell 800 pc per day. Most DSLR video support equipments are heavily overpriced compared to photo counterparts ... Pricing has gone down over the years due to increase in small shops coming into the market but its still overpriced.