Should I go for Sony W380 or WX1

ht380

Oct 12, 2007
CCK
Hi,

can anyone give me some advises on this? W380 or WX1?

Thanks.

I would suggest that you wait for HX5 which should be coming out locally later this month. ;)

I would suggest that you wait for HX5 which should be coming out locally later this month. ;)

Actually looking at a compact camera and not the H series. Thanks.

WX1 price dropped to $479 at CP. Tempting!

What free gifts they are giving out now at CP?

Saw Sony website promotion price at $599 with free gifts of 2 x 8 GB MS and carrying case. But when click on the camera itself stated Standard Retail Price of $499.

Last edited:
Actually looking at a compact camera and not the H series. Thanks.

Actually the HX5 is almost as thin as the TX1/7 but has 10x zoom

Actually the HX5 is almost as thin as the TX1/7 but has 10x zoom

Hi, do you how much it is going to be? I guessed must be a big gap diff with the WX1.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I observed that Sony T* series is equipped with CZ lens while W* series with G lens, wondering why they don't swap it the other way round. And why T* is MIJ while W* is MIC, haizz :dunno:

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your thread but I observed that Sony T* series is equipped with CZ lens while W* series with G lens, wondering why they don't swap it the other way round. And why T* is MIJ while W* is MIC, haizz :dunno:

Ha...ha.....

I think this question you should ask Sony direct. Heeeeheee......:D

Heh, till now still no one can tell me which one should I buy????

It's really your call bro. Both got pro and cons and to me the specs are almost similar, the diff that I can spot is W380 is using CCD while WX1 is CMOS, W380 newer than WX1, W380 resolution is higher, WX1 can shoot 10fps while W380 1.5fps, etc. ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ide&cameras=sony_dscw380,sony_dscwx1&show=all

You decide bro, lol.

Cheers.

Last edited:
It's really your call bro. Both got pro and cons and to me the specs are almost similar, the diff that I can spot is W380 is using CCD while WX1 is CMOS, W380 newer than WX1, W380 resolution is higher, WX1 can shoot 10fps while W380 1.5fps, etc. ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ide&cameras=sony_dscw380,sony_dscwx1&show=all

You decide bro, lol.

Cheers.

Hi bro,

I know the diff but just can't really decide which one to go for. I know WX1 have good night takes but heard that day shoot not very good. On the other hand, W380 I dun know how is the night shooting compare to the WX1.

Hope you guys could share on the night images for W380 for me to compare.

Thanks.:think:

Hi,

can anyone give me some advises on this? W380 or WX1?

Thanks.

hi bro.... am considering this both as well, until i saw the upcoming HX5, have to get it by next week before my holidays on the following week... hopefully HX5 wouldn't be 2 ex....
but chances of that is quite slim, and seems that it'll be launched only in apr....:(
so may be considering to get the WX1....

hi bro.... am considering this both as well, until i saw the upcoming HX5, have to get it by next week before my holidays on the following week... hopefully HX5 wouldn't be 2 ex....
but chances of that is quite slim, and seems that it'll be launched only in apr....:(
so may be considering to get the WX1....

Actually I'm also looking at HX5 but it looks like it is thicker in size and weight slightly more. As I only want a slim and light handy camera.

HX5 Dimensions: 102.9mm x 57.7mm x 28.9mm Weight: Approx. 200g (7.1oz.) (with battery and MSDuo included)

WX1 Dimensions: 90.5 x 51.8 x 19.8mm Weight: Approx. 120g (Body), Approx. 149g (With Accessories)

BTW: HX5 F-number(Maximum Aperture): F3.5(W)-5.5(T) WX1 F-number(Maximum Aperture): F2.4 (W) – F5.9 (T)

Last edited:
Actually I'm also looking at HX5 but it looks like it is thicker in size and weight slightly more. As I only want a slim and light handy camera.

HX5 Dimensions: 102.9mm x 57.7mm x 28.9mm Weight: Approx. 200g (7.1oz.) (with battery and MSDuo included)

WX1 Dimensions: 90.5 x 51.8 x 19.8mm Weight: Approx. 120g (Body), Approx. 149g (With Accessories)

BTW: HX5 F-number(Maximum Aperture): F3.5(W)-5.5(T) WX1 F-number(Maximum Aperture): F2.4 (W) – F5.9 (T)
So why don't you go for TX7. It is the slimmest and lightest and most stylish of the Sony digicams and has most of the functions of HX5. What's more, it's available now. :dunno:

So why don't you go for TX7. It is the slimmest and lightest and most stylish of the Sony digicams and has most of the functions of HX5. What's more, it's available now. :dunno:

Also look at this model. But found out the below compare to WX1 and the bigger price.

F-number(Maximum Aperture): F3.5(W)-4.6(T)
Not using Sony G lens but Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar
4x zoom vs 5x
Dimensions : 97.8 x 59.5 x 17.5mm (Slightly bigger in size but slimer by 2.3mm)
Weight: Approx. 133g (Body), Approx. 149g (With Accessories) - Same weight with accessories).

And of course some feature that TX7 is better that WX1 dun have. Eg. Full HD recording which I dun really need it.

So i think WX1 should be a better buy in specs and price. Thank u all for the advises. I think I will go for WX1 and will wait for next week IT show at 11th to see if any good offer from Sony.

Last edited:
I got the WX1 for about 6 months and love it. It has become a never leave home without it item.

It takes great hand held panos, low light shots. Noise level at high ISO tolerable (for me).

HX5 will of course come with newer features. But have a look at the price against features.

Share a sample hand held pano with you. You don't have to go through the hassle of stitching.
Photo has been touch up for enhancements.
DSC00543-1PH1280.jpg

I got the WX1 for about 6 months and love it. It has become a never leave home without it item.

It takes great hand held panos, low light shots. Noise level at high ISO tolerable (for me).

HX5 will of course come with newer features. But have a look at the price against features.

Share a sample hand held pano with you. You don't have to go through the hassle of stitching.
Photo has been touch up for enhancements.
DSC00543-1PH1280.jpg

great shot.....
will hold up till the IT show next week and compare the prices....
hopefully HX5 will be out by then for the comparison...

im also considering whether to get W380 or not. Does WX1 come with smile shutter as well? How much is WX1?

why not consider W350? features are about the same as W380 but cheaper.

im also considering whether to get W380 or not. Does WX1 come with smile shutter as well? How much is WX1?

why not consider W350? features are about the same as W380 but cheaper.

They are all diff in features, check it out yrself at below link. Yes, WX1 also have smile shutter feature. I think this feature will not be very useful.

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/Comp...odels=DSC-W380&models=DSC-W350&models=DSC-WX1