Should i get the Canon 350D or Nikon D50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
user111 said:
strictly speaking, 8 is a bigger number than 6. i.e; 8 > 6.
so strictly speaking, a camera with 8mp will be better than a camera with 6mp.
unless someone can prove that 6 is greater than or equal to 8. which is impossible.

seriously, you should rephrase the 3rd line to "prove that the output of the 6mp *e.g. DLSR* is better than the output of a 8mp *e.g. P n S*

else you ain't comparing anything but numbers, not cameras.

philliptan said:
Agree that the 350D without the grip is a bit weird on handling. That's why a lot of us bought the grip. :thumbsup: Feels really solid with the grip. Not to mention the extra vertical shutter button and controls. The D50/70/70s has no first party grip AFAIK.

Also agree that the D70/D70s kit lens is a good lens :)

Still, having tried both cams, I feel that the 350D is the one for the newbie.

There is no need for a VG for the D70s. It really adds nothing to the camera except to gain bragging rights and add unnecessary weight. The battery for the D70s lasts a heck of a long time and there is no necessity to have two onboard (adding to the weight). The camera already has a nice heft and handling to it. And you don't need to use AAs as the 3a lasts a long time between charges and the charger is small enough to pack/carry. Carrying AAs would be more of a hassle/weight.

The 350D does need a VG because of it's puny size (designed for Jap ladies hands) but the cost of the VG pushes the price up a bit and makes the camera a less of an attractive proposition esp with it's crummy UI.

I disagree, in the under 2K bracket, the D70s is the camera to get - forget the 350D. If you want a Canon - start with a 20/30D.

Xing said:
go for the 350D, at least you have the option of owning a vertical grip ;)

In what way will a VG improve his photos?

tomshen said:
This is one of the myths in digital photography. It shows how effective the marketing strategy of megapixel counting. Surely 8 > 6, but the equation does not include handling, AF, lens, post-processing, and many other factors. Personally I will not vote on 350D (don't know about D50) due to its uncomfortable small size (in my hand). The thread starter should really try out both cameras (and more) before making any decision. 20D/30D or D70 may be a better alternative (especially in terms of handling).

yep agreed :thumbsup:

user111 said:
who is the professional?
who is the over-zealous no-brainer?

in the 1st place no names were mentioned.

2nd why think you were being called the over zealous no brainer ?
can't u feel u are the professional ?

get a life......

user111 said:
with reference to this post, i want to publicly complain to the admin against ESPN for calling and insulting me as a over-zealous no-brainer. admin pls ccome in and administer some justice otherwise i will not let this matter rest

You insult people can? People insult you cannot? Live and let live lah...

Tetrode said:
There is no need for a VG for the D70s. It really adds nothing to the camera except to gain bragging rights and add unnecessary weight. The battery for the D70s lasts a heck of a long time and there is no necessity to have two onboard (adding to the weight). The camera already has a nice heft and handling to it. And you don't need to use AAs as the 3a lasts a long time between charges and the charger is small enough to pack/carry. Carrying AAs would be more of a hassle/weight.

The 350D does need a VG because of it's puny size (designed for Jap ladies hands) but the cost of the VG pushes the price up a bit and makes the camera a less of an attractive proposition esp with it's crummy UI.

I disagree, in the under 2K bracket, the D70s is the camera to get - forget the 350D. If you want a Canon - start with a 20/30D.

Eh, you die die want to trample the 350D is it? My post compliments the 350D but didn't trample the D70s...

:dunno: More MP doesn't mean the camera is better.. It only means that the prints can be bigger.. I have both the D70s and 350D.. The D70s although 2MP less, has sharper picture qualities than the 350D.. So more MP doesn't mean is better, depends onwhat you want..

user111 said:
strictly speaking, 8 is a bigger number than 6. i.e; 8 > 6.
so strictly speaking, a camera with 8mp will be better than a camera with 6mp.
unless someone can prove that 6 is greater than or equal to 8. which is impossible.

I used to shoot with a EOS50 for several years, changed to a 350D recently. It's small, but I don't feel uncomfortable with the handling. Should go try yourself, it's depends on individual.

Small can be beneficial if you can get used to it, can carry a smaller & lighter bag around..

philliptan said:
You insult people can? People insult you cannot? Live and let live lah...

this phase seemed to be describing the famous Xiaxue... sorry off topic. :bsmilie:

who believe 1MP nikon is better than 1DsMk2 canon? ;)

Now I feel like turning around and making a lawsuit for unjust false libel accusations against me. :think:

espn said:
Now I feel like turning around and making a lawsuit for unjust false libel accusations against me. :think:

well, u can sue for slander.

if u need help, let me know ;)

philliptan said:
Eh, you die die want to trample the 350D is it? My post compliments the 350D but didn't trample the D70s...
haha... phillip, no need to argue with him... prob he is one of those using a three party VG on his D70s ;p (no offense to third party VG users :D)

Kongo said:
I used to shoot with a EOS50 for several years, changed to a 350D recently. It's small, but I don't feel uncomfortable with the handling. Should go try yourself, it's depends on individual.

Small can be beneficial if you can get used to it, can carry a smaller & lighter bag around..
It depends on what lens in use. If you mount a 24-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 on a 350D, then you would appreciate a heavier body. 20D size/weight is more flexible and balanced. I know 350D offers super image quality, but the handling really turns me off. Otherwise I won't mind getting it as a cost-effective travel/backup body.

Same here. I used to shoot with an EOS 10 and my 350 seemd really small in my hands. The VG made a BIG difference and made it feel like a real camera...

Megapixels is jus the size of the images produced. It's not totally a myth that MP produces better pictures and it's not totally true either. You have to take each with a pinch of salt. More megapixels means more details in the pictures, but like all equipment, 1 part of the equipment dun detrermine it's entire performance. With high megapixels, you also need a good sensor to fill up the megapixels with accurate and beauty colours. A big MP without a good sensor is useless. And of cos not to mention the lens must be good as well.

So jus by comparing MP is not enough to determine if a camera is able to produce better pictures. Else we can all go buy a no-brand 8MP camera for half the price of a Nikon or Canon. The review at dpreview says that though D50 has a smaller MP, it manages to produce better images which mite be a result of a better implementation on the sensor.

Yo user111,

Chill man. No need to be upset over this yah.

If you dun like the comment, you can choose to ignore it.

Cheers.

To the original poster, it really depends on what you want and whether or not you have friends/colleagues shooting N or C so that you can try/exchange equipment. For normal shooters, I think it doesn't really matter a lot.

user111 said:
do not try to ignore my previous statements and treat me like a fool.

i take this matter very seriously and i insist on demanding a proper justification from BOTH the Admin AND ESPN.

aiyh...just live and let live. You also shooting for $$ right? Earning $$$ during times like these more impt.....\ Nowadays i can't be bothered with anything else.....free wkends v impt. Channel your energy to where it matters most, family/friends and $. I've seen the complaint and stuff in N forum. Biang! Dun waste your time over petty matters like this. enjoy!

Well.. If you're using for taking photos as Thumbnails.. Why not? Yo umean you can tell the differencebetween a thumbnail created by 1MP or 16MP camera?

benedium said:
who believe 1MP nikon is better than 1DsMk2 canon? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.