Should a New User still buy a Micro Four Thirds Camera?

The reason Panasonic formed the L-Alliance is to distribute out the min. volume required to produce the lenses for its FF cameras, the S-series. I am not sure how many of the "atas" Leica customers willing to settle for L-Mount lenses costing about half the price or original lenses but I doubt there is much demand from Leica. Panasonic should have made provisions to come up with a mount for existing M43 users.

Anyway, I felt the bigger mistake made by Panasonic is they did not have a game plan to penetrate the Full Frame market. Consumers need a compelling reason to move to a new mount as the investment is substantial. Sony has the A7R (61mp and high end photographers and A7S for videographers (prevent roller shutter problem and high ISO). Canon R5 has 8K video. What does Panasonic S-series have? Unless it can use Panasonic M43 lenses., some of which are great for videos!

Hope Panasonic is doing some series soul searching......

Panasonic’s game plan in FF should’ve probably started with a video centric tech demonstrator like the original A9 was for Sony. It’d build on the strengths of the GH series that was in its own category before 2018 and long b4 Sony’s A7S3.
They should’ve been first to 8K and guess what, 8000pixels across cropped to QF is 4000pixels across, perfect for 4K video.
So an adapter for m43 lenses would’ve let it also serve as a very capable 4K camera with an existing full lineup of m43 lenses.

Nothing wrong with alliances, except I think L-mount is the wrong choice for Panasonic because it becomes very difficult to build an adapter physical, let alone a smart one which needs to translate communication protocols. And frankly I agree Leica products won’t help sell Panasonic products at Leica prices. They could’ve continued with Pana-Leica branding FF lenses (like they do in m43) at slight premiums rather than outright Leica lenses costing 3-4X other FF equivalents.
So I doubt forming the L-alliance helped Panasonic achieve any minimum volumes for their S-series.

Their alliance should’ve been with Sigma and the other top tier third party lens manufacturers to create an open mount for them. So a Tamron, Sigma, Tokina lens alliance with Panasonic serving as the camera tech provider.

It may be a historical link. In 2001 Panasonic Lumix launched the DMC LC5 equipped with a Leica DC Vario Summicron lens.
From then on from 2001, (maybe before?) various Panasonic Lumix cameras have featured lenses by Leica.
including the MFT series of Panasonic Lumix cameras since 2008.
Whether lenses were made under licence, or not is another story.
So 17 years later in 2018 when Panasonic Lumix was looking for an alliance to make full frame cameras, of course they turn to Leica.
They have a working relationship for more than a decade. It is common sense.

You have it backwards. Leica needs a technology partner to be competitive in digital cameras. And Panasonic has been that partner for quite some time and that is indeed common knowledge.
But Panasonic hardly needs to turn to Leica to create a mount. After all, they created one with Olympus.

According to this Leica guy, this is the real story.
[So, how exactly did the L-mount alliance come about?
Panasonic approached us, inquiring whether they could use the L-mount we developed for their planned full frame mirrorless system camera. We started a discussion on how this might work and how it would influence our SL business. Ultimately, we decided to move forward.]
UnQuote

excerpt from:

Nothing wrong with L-mount per se. it’s a fine mount in isolation.
It’s just short-sighted if it cannot provide a migration path for existing m43 users, which are Panasonic’s only customers prior to L-mount.
Btw I owned a Panasonic LC1 and I’m a current owner of a G9 so I’m quite familiar with their history. As a customer if they don’t offer me an easy progression pathway, they’ll be judged on level terms with the competition. And currently I don’t see an incentive to invest in L-mount over E, Z or R.

I don't think the news below is any much to worry about. Probably JIP need to trim down its cost now that it has taken over 95% of Olympus Imaging Division. This could be good news as long as there is at least a service center in countries like Singapore or Malaysia. Good news because it could mean less expensive future models :cool:

Good. This is a sensible cost cutting action. Why pretend when Olympus already signed, sealed and delivered the official document to get out of camera business.
Finally Olympus management is accepting reality. They should be commended for cutting away the marketing spin baloney.
The ball is now in JIP's court. If JIP fails to provide camera repair service , it is their problem. Olympus has officially washed its hands of the matter.

I am sure every Olympus user and Olympus themselves are watching closely all the moves made by JIP.

JIP will be dumb to fail to provide camera and lenses repair service as this will kill their future sales, which defeats the purpose of them trying to take over and revive Olympus. A service center do not have to be a huge showroom like the one in Singapore (though it is nice to have :) From my understanding, Panasonic only have a technician to service its cameras in Singapore. Sometimes, it is cheaper to replace with new or send back to factory when there is no much repairs rather than to keep a team of technicians here.

Should a new user still buy an Olympus Camera?

Watch the following video from Robin Wong (Olympus Ambassador) on 5 unique features of OM-D cameras not available in most other DSLRs.

Although I admit that I did not buy my EM5 Mk3 because of those features (I did not know they existed), I got to know them in the workshops conducted by Olympus and I found them useful and make my photography enthusiast journey more interesting!

This is a rather good unbiased article on M43, acknowledging its strength and weaknesses.

In Short, the size of M43 Body is no longer a strength as Dslrs go mirrorless and size becomes almost compatible.
The remaining are the strengths of M43
1) Telephoto
2) Small and Lighter Lenses
3) Much cheaper to build a system with a few lenses (good for beginners wanting to experiment

M43 weaknesses
1) Resolution
2) ISO

However, in my opinion and circle of friends, some photographers are reeling back from the higher and higher resolution. They are opting to avoid the A7R4 (61mp) and A7R3(42mp) and prefer lower resolution cameras like the A7iii. My son opted for the A7R3 instead of R4 because the resolution is way too high and now he is also finding he seldom has a need for 42mp.

On the ISO side, yes, making the sensor for M43 even 1 stop better will be great. Currently, most of us felt FF sensors is about 2 stops better than M43 in terms of noise level. However, M43 Pro Lenses are generally 1 to 2 stops better (eg. F1.2, F0.95 etc) to compensate back. Hence a 1 stop improvement may put M43 noise level on par with FF.

My personal recommendation is this, treat the M43 like a bicycle and a FF like a car. After you have mastered one, get the other one to cover it's shortcoming. A M43 is much easier beginners to start with without investing too much. eg. I got my BNIB 45mm F1.8 (90m equivalent) for $200 and a used 60mm F2.8 (120mm equivalent) for about $350 to explore these new areas of photography. You probably have to invest thousands just to try that on a FF system.

After any beginner has mastered the M43, and wish to continue to push the envelope or pursue deep into a certain area, he can always invest in a FF system. But just like going from a bicycle to a car, there is no need to get rid of the bicycle. I still have my bicycle 20 years after I got my driving license and a car, as I still ride on a bicycle. :)

Releasing a USD$7500 lens AFTER divesting the whole camera division and announcing to the world that it will exit the camera business.
That ranks high on the insanity index.
It seems Olympus is highly confused and is flailing around looking for a way to step down gracefully (not to lose face).

Both Olympus and Panasonic have failed trying to make MFT compete on the high end with other manufacturers.
Their MFT market share in recent years prove it.
Leica buyers do not know what is a recession.
Canon pro equipment buyers have corporate big budgets.

MFT may have a chance if it concentrates on the LOW price sector.
That is, to become a substitute for the now-dead compact cameras.
For those who are not satisfied with their mobile phone and want a separate camera - but do not want to pay too much

MFT manufacturers must make it very cheap, so the masses can afford to buy. Small, Light, Cheap.
Forget about the vanity -project inspired high priced F1.2 lenses or super expensive long telephoto zoom lenses.

Covid-19 has devastated the incomes of many people worldwide.
USA the richest country has got thousands of people queueing for free food.
Photography is merely a hobby and is not an essential. In this era, unless you are Leica, do not try to aim for the high end market.

https://www.motherjones.com/food/20...he-staggering-food-bank-lines-across-america/

Last edited:
1. The US$7500 Olympus 150-400 F4.5 with 1.25 TC is not at the extreme high end when compared to the Sony, Canon and Nikon 600mm F4 costing US$12,800. I am sure it is being set at a price where Olympus / JIP can gather enough orders (maybe 100pcs) to cover the costs of this project and make a decent profit. If not, the project will be scraped since they have not started production.

2. By High end in the context of M43, IMHO, I think JIP meant EM1 Mk4 or even the EM1x Mk2. ($2k to $3k which is still affordable to hobbyist). Since when have they mentioned in all their press release that they are coming out with something to compete with Leica?

3. Targeting the low end market of compact cameras to compete with Smart Phones is even worse. Some years back, I was at a IT show and I think one of the big electronics store (probably Harvey Norman) was sell their compact cameras (buy 1 get 1 free) to avoid having to bring it back to the warehouse. You can actually get 2pcs of 16 Megapixel compact cameras for $200+. But is it a sold out? NO!!!!! They still have to carry all the cameras back.

Ricohlex, don't sit in your armchair and imagine so much scenarios to bad mouth M43.
I still remembered you accused
1) Olympus already has the 150-400 in the warehouse
2) The 150-400 is not made in Japan (B&H has replied it is currently).

M43 has its strengths, just like GoPro cameras.
Your biggest mistake is to try to put M43 on the same level as Full Frame and refuse to embrace any strengths of M43.
What you are doing now is similar to going to a GoPro forum can start criticizing GoPro for not being as capable as APS or FF cameras.

But I assure you that I have taken beautiful shots with my GoPro which you definitely will NOT with your Full Frame.

According to this report, there was stock of this lens held by Olympus made in an initial production run.
The report is good news for Olympus, as it seems demand (Olympus claims) is high for this lens.

But why B&H a retailer in US, has to confirm where the lens is made.
When Olympus Japan itself is totally silent about it in their official document releases about the lens.

And all those selected reviewers who were given the physical lens to use and try out - were silent about where the lens is made.
Assuming that [ Made in Japan ] is something to be proud of and is a badge of honour, then it is a marketing plus point.
The silence about that aspect is strange.

B&H said "Made in Japan" but subject to change.

Olympus / JIP is silent because there are already plans to shift all production out of Japan.
JIP business model is to outsource all the production. In manufacturing, it is always the spare capacity that eats up all the profit and create the loss.
It is usually more efficient to outsource, just like HP and Epson used to outsource the manufacturing of their inkjets to companies like Venture.

So companies like Venture can spend maybe 2 to 3 months to manufacture the orders of each of their customer, instead of each customer with their own factory use only 25% of their capacity.Even Apple outsource its manufacturing to China, India etc and is still considered a premium quality and reliable brand.