Shooting Wedding (1st time)

)

indeed. just remember to update him your skill level.. (dun over stress yourself else you would not be able to get the "feel" & the "must" have shoots) For shoots can be "re-do", dun be shy to ask them to redo it..

I don't mean to be harsh and you being a newbie can't blame you for being so naive.Your quote ' For shoots can be "re-do", dun be shy to ask them to redo it.. ' In this digital age of photography the 're-do' syndrome is possible. You look at the LCD ah result no good and say 'samullah' let's shoot
again and results are viewed instantly.This in a way encouraged alot of wannabes jumping in to wedding shoots bandwagon.Not so during the
film era we do not have the pleasure to see instant results and you know what I mean :)

assign your 2nd shooter to longer focal length to shoot candid shots of guests. you cover bride and groom lor.

Getting new gears now is probably not a good idea. You need time to understand and try out the new gears. As some Pros have mentioned, go easy with the event and use whatever you are now comfortable with, rather than struggling with 'what's went wrong with the setup'. Try to simulate the situation now and practise more.

Cos the wedding is in Malaysia, i will actually be there for total of 4 days (mini holiday) so renting a D600 + 24-70 for 4 days (prob 5 as i may only return the next day after i come back), the cost will be pretty high (based on CRC rates, will be about $130/day x 5 days = $665). Will be cheaper to buy used ones from BNS and then sell off after i come back. Lose maybe $200-$300 bucks and a much more flexible than rental.

Ask the couple to pay fro the rental.

2nd the idea of renting. There will be little time to change lens on the actual day. Use ur d7100+17-50+sb910 as group shoot and rent 70-200 f2.8 and a ff body. I think most wedding photographer use 24-70 and 70-200 on ff body.

I think when shooting for free, spending extra money to rent or buy equipment is not the best idea.

I spoke to him again yesterday (one very kind bro offered his services at a very good rate) but he said "originally, i don't even intend to have any photographer" (!!) i was stunned. So this is a case of "something better than nothing" haha. He also showed me some pics of the venue. It's not a hotel ballroom. It's those one of those chinese restaurants within a shopping centre. The place looks pretty bright. There are no spotlights or whatever. Just normal restaurant lights. So may not be as difficult a situation. I told him he must meet me at the restaurant at 5pm on the actual day and give me at least 30mins to test shots/dry run with him at with actual lighting conditions. He said he will be there from 3 or 4pm onwards so no problem.

I was thinking that for most of the shots especially group shots (table pics, pic with family/colleagues/friends), i won't be needing shallow DOF and would likely be shooting at f5 and above. So in this case, the 16-85 might be better than the sigma due to the 50% longer reach (can take those candid shots).

I think when shooting for free, spending extra money to rent or buy equipment is not the best idea.

Well for me it's not about the money (anyway he paid for my flight and 3 days lodging over there at Berjaya Times Square). I also want to feel good that i have done at least a decent job - free or otherwise.

I spoke to him again yesterday (one very kind bro offered his services at a very good rate) but he said "originally, i don't even intend to have any photographer" (!!) i was stunned. So this is a case of "something better than nothing" haha. He also showed me some pics of the venue. It's not a hotel ballroom. It's those one of those chinese restaurants within a shopping centre. The place looks pretty bright. There are no spotlights or whatever. Just normal restaurant lights. So may not be as difficult a situation. I told him he must meet me at the restaurant at 5pm on the actual day and give me at least 30mins to test shots/dry run with him at with actual lighting conditions. He said he will be there from 3 or 4pm onwards so no problem.

I was thinking that for most of the shots especially group shots (table pics, pic with family/colleagues/friends), i won't be needing shallow DOF and would likely be shooting at f5 and above. So in this case, the 16-85 might be better than the sigma due to the 50% longer reach (can take those candid shots).

Your may want to take note... what seem bright to your eyes may not be so to the camera. Just standby your flash.

Your may want to take note... what seem bright to your eyes may not be so to the camera. Just standby your flash.

Yes, definitely.

TS ..seems like you're lost..
all lens are good and useful if you know what you want and how to use. it really depends on you..
What kind if shots you want and perhaps how much working spaces u have. Also..use a flash...(if you can)..

Buying more equipment or better equipment in any case..will not help.. If u dontknow how to use..u dontknow how to use..regardless how good it can be.

)

indeed. just remember to update him your skill level.. (dun over stress yourself else you would not be able to get the "feel" & the "must" have shoots) For shoots can be "re-do", dun be shy to ask them to redo it..

I don't mean to be harsh and you being a newbie can't blame you for being so naive.Your quote ' For shoots can be "re-do", dun be shy to ask them to redo it.. ' In this digital age of photography the 're-do' syndrome is possible. You look at the LCD ah result no good and say 'samullah' let's shoot
again and results are viewed instantly.This in a way encouraged alot of wannabes jumping in to wedding shoots bandwagon.Not so during the
film era we do not have the pleasure to see instant results and you know what I mean

haha.. I understand.. one of my "master" also say, those were the days, film.. Where got reshoot? Reshoot = more cost and waste money..

Ps lor.. (newbie trying to be helpful here.. :( )

Anyway, thanks for your advise to TS and me.. :)
*I wun jump into any event unless I went through at least 5 times with a pro.. :)

Well for me it's not about the money (anyway he paid for my flight and 3 days lodging over there at Berjaya Times Square). I also want to feel good that i have done at least a decent job - free or otherwise.

definitely! Remember to check with any of your photography friend who has "took" up a job for wedding before.. what are the "MUST" shoot scenes.. :)

*a must*.. with flash and without the photo does make a diff.. :)

The couple get what they paid for. Or rather, what they did not pay for. This segment of couples are no loss to wedding photographers. We must understand there are all types of weddings and all sorts of people getting wed.

You have 3 zoom lens. All can use but the most relevant are the Sigma 17-50/2.8 and Nikon 16-85 VR2. Not sure what version your sigma is, the earlier versions are bad, but the 16-85 is good, one of my assistant photographer shoots with that for events and its very reliable, sharp and good colors and contrast. The VR is gold.

The 55-200mm can keep at home. The 18-105mm also keep at home. Bring more batteries and memory cards. If you can borrow another Nikon body and flash, good. If cannot, forget it. Do not spend money and be a stupid guy if things turns out unfavorable for you, your just incurring more cost plus free labor. It is very unlikely they will even appreciate your efforts at all. Coz photography is low on their list and almost non-existence, till they suddenly think they might get it for free and it was until then you came into the picture. Maybe your not even the first guy they asked. They might had tried their luck with many friends with cameras already until they eventually thought of you. And traveling overseas always a risk of losing your gear.

Keep it simple. Do what you know and use what you have. Do not be adventurous and try weird or new things at crucial segments. Do not be the scapegoat and be blamed when things does not turn out well. It sometimes, often, does not for such situations.

That's it.

Last edited:
The couple get what they paid for. Or rather, what they did not pay for. This segment of couples are no loss to wedding photographers. We must understand there are all types of weddings and all sorts of people getting wed.

You have 3 zoom lens. All can use but the most relevant are the Sigma 17-50/2.8 and Nikon 16-85 VR2. Not sure what version your sigma is, the earlier versions are bad, but the 16-85 is good, one of my assistant photographer shoots with that for events and its very reliable, sharp and good colors and contrast. The VR is gold.

The 55-200mm can keep at home. The 18-105mm also keep at home. Bring more batteries and memory cards. If you can borrow another Nikon body and flash, good. If cannot, forget it. Do not spend money and be a stupid guy if things turns out unfavorable for you, your just incurring more cost plus free labor. It is very unlikely they will even appreciate your efforts at all. Coz photography is low on their list and almost non-existence, till they suddenly think they might get it for free and it was until then you came into the picture. Maybe your not even the first guy they asked. They might had tried their luck with many friends with cameras already until they eventually thought of you. And traveling overseas always a risk of losing your gear.

Keep it simple. Do what you know and use what you have. Do not be adventurous and try weird or new things at crucial segments. Do not be the scapegoat and be blamed when things does not turn out well. It sometimes, often, does not for such situations.

That's it.

My sigma is the latest. Just bought 2 weeks ago.

The guy is one of my closest friends - he actually asked me to be one of the "brothers" for the morning part but i can't make it for the morning part.

Noted on your advise and i wil definitely keep it simple.

On a lighter note, i just got a quote from a popular camera rental business (no names mentioned), they can lend me a D600 + 24-120 f4 at just $300 for 5 days! The good thing about D600 is the button and controls layout are very similar to D7100. At cos of the reasonable rate, i extended the rental by one extra day for me to play and familiarise with it.

The guy is one of my closest friends - he actually asked me to be one of the "brothers" for the morning part but i can't make it for the morning part.

On a lighter note, i just got a quote from a popular camera rental business (no names mentioned), they can lend me a D600 + 24-120 f4 at just $300 for 5 days! The good thing about D600 is the button and controls layout are very similar to D7100. At cos of the reasonable rate, i extended the rental by one extra day for me to play and familiarise with it.

Good call :)

Who knows... after playing and taking photos of the event, come home and loaded it to computer... then get poisoned deep deep and end up buying a D600 in the end ;)

Anyway... I would still urge you to bring your D7100 as backup, just in case your D600 runs out of juice or something (touch wood) happen to the primary camera.

Last edited:

Bro, $300 can hire photographer in Malaysia!

Enjoy your shoot. :)

Good call :)

Who knows... after playing and taking photos of the event, come home and loaded it to computer... then get poisoned deep deep and end up buying a D600 in the end ;)

Anyway... I would still urge you to bring your D7100 as backup, just in case your D600 runs out of juice or something (touch wood) happen to the primary camera.

Haha....lets hope that doesn't happen!

I going up by Jetstar, may not be feasible to bring the D7100 as the lens can't be shared and i will have to bring a different set of lens (and not to mention an additional camera bag). Might as well rent 1 x d800 and 1 x d600 bodies haha.

Haha....lets hope that doesn't happen!

I going up by Jetstar, may not be feasible to bring the D7100 as the lens can't be shared and i will have to bring a different set of lens (and not to mention an additional camera bag). Might as well rent 1 x d800 and 1 x d600 bodies haha.

Woo hoo... then poison runs deeper... you might end up buying both D800 and D600...

I played with my bro's D800 once... and man... I am almost poisoned... luckily I have too much Canon and Olympus lenses to warrant for a Nikon (hehehe) ;)

Now I am resisting with all my mental might to get a 5DmkIII or 6D...

Woo hoo... then poison runs deeper... you might end up buying both D800 and D600...

I played with my bro's D800 once... and man... I am almost poisoned... luckily I have too much Canon and Olympus lenses to warrant for a Nikon (hehehe) ;)

Now I am resisting with all my mental might to get a 5DmkIII or 6D...

No lah, that will never happen. I am not a avid photog in the first place. I shoot mainly my company's events. And they don't pay for my gear but they do give me a little extra bonus every year for my services.

I am already starting to clear out some of my gear in BNS now that i have decided to loan the D600 + 12-120.