Shooting landscape using f2.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no where near pro standard. Sometimes you just don't have a tripod with you.

Last edited:
f1.4 still sharp enough to see the hair strands actually..... (DOF another issue, see if you need that or not). Anyway 16-35/2.8, is it tack sharp wide open?

Sometimes bo bian mah....

I brought my 24/1.4 and SB900 along on vaction (actually I brought box only with SB-600 inside LOL!) so as to claim GST refund at the airport. Else I'd have taken my wife's PnS which is just a $199 cam. After claiming I threw the SB-900 box and SB-600 away liao. LOL! :D Biang you know how heavy and bulky sia.....

This one is from Taiwan Jiu fen. :bsmilie:

ISO 640, 1/2s, f1.4

Landscape portrait? Don't know how to catergorise lah... f1.4. (I got bracket with f2.8 and f5.6)

I am no where near pro standard. Sometimes you just don't have a tripod with you.

I understand.... don't have tripod.... if the main purpose of travel and/or shoot is taking landscape photo, you will find ways and means to bring along at least a small and decent tripod.....unless age is catching up....

f1.4 still sharp enough to see the hair strands actually..... (DOF another issue, see if you need that or not). Anyway 16-35/2.8, is it tack sharp wide open?

Your 2nd photo is actually more portraits than landscape. Nice photo btw. :)

1st photo is simply very "noisy" when shooting using high iso. Sort of snap shot photo. noisy better than blur.... Hope you don't mind my frank opinion.

Your 2nd photo is actually more portraits than landscape. Nice photo btw. :)

1st photo is simply very "noisy" when shooting using high iso. Sort of snap shot photo. noisy better than blur.... Hope you don't mind my frank opinion.

Yeah man, could have used ISO1600...but think still will be somewhat handshake blur on a 24" screen. After all it would just be 1/2 -> 1/4s. :bsmilie:

Yep all snapshots, nothing more than 5 seconds per shot, hit and go. Guided tour packaged, bo bian. Will look funny with a camera bag strapped with even a small tripod, 3 cameras/lenses etc.

I guess usually people stop down when taking landscapes, but that doesn't mean one cannot use larger aperture. It depends on the landscape you are shooting, whereby you are just shooting something that is just a 'vertical plane' or something that has depth. Also it depends on the distance between foreground, subject and background since that affects the "blur".

I have shot with 35L and it's not all the time that I will get background/foreground blur at f1.4 since it depends on how near/far I am from the subject and composition.

Your friend's comments is obviously lame...I feel it's not doing justice to the L lens and the pros who use them. But, using which aperture depends on situation, there may not be a 'sure perfect' setting for ALL the situations.

Yeah man, could have used ISO1600...but think still will be somewhat handshake blur on a 24" screen. After all it would just be 1/2 -> 1/4s. :bsmilie:

Yep all snapshots, nothing more than 5 seconds per shot, hit and go. Guided tour packaged, bo bian. Will look funny with a camera bag strapped with even a small tripod, 3 cameras/lenses etc.

.... this is something to consider... travel with spouse on a package tour... bring tripod to take photo.... probably will kanna :kok: by spouse with the tripod. :bsmilie:
oppss... ot already....

yes... sure make full and good use of the large aperture.

Last edited:
.... this is something to consider... travel with spouse on a package tour... bring tripod to take photo.... probably will kanna :kok: by spouse with the tripod. :bsmilie:

My 2 hands really to carry the bubble tea / bittergourd juice / sausage / buns whatever, and also her 2-3 bags of fashion accessories or apparels. Even if i bring a backpack with tripod also no hands to use. :bsmilie:

Some of my photos are here. Actually most are taken with 1 hand. 1 hand can choose the aperture, EV compensation and snap liao. Coz the other hand sure got something to makan. Excellent xiao chi!
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/889216/19

Last edited:
sometimes we do not have the luxury of having a tripod anywhere we go... who would bring a tripod out for normal day street shooting, and then by incident stayed late and saw some nice sunset? seriously its just about making the best use of ur gears and the surrounding

OT abit here, im going on a guided tour to taiwan this dec and im considering whether to bring tripod. lehceh to setup and all, and i scared shoot until the whole tour group wait for me very paiseh :embrass:

mostly will be taking street shots. however im sure there will be the occasionally "must take" landscape. whats your views on this? :D

My 2 hands really to carry the bubble tea / bittergourd juice / sausage / buns whatever, and also her 2-3 bags of fashion accessories or apparels. Even if i bring a backpack with tripod also no hands to use. :bsmilie:

Some of my photos are here. Actually most are taken with 1 hand. 1 hand can choose the aperture, EV compensation and snap liao. Coz the other hand sure got something to makan. Excellent xiao chi!
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/889216/19

ot. look at all the food.... buay da han liao!! Colours looks so vibrant. Quite similar to some parts of of our chinatown during cny. Now have to plan for a taiwan trip with spouse and hatch a plan to convince her it is important to bring along a tripod. :bsmilie:

on topic.... check out another thread with a similar discussion on large aperture here.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638625

OT abit here, im going on a guided tour to taiwan this dec and im considering whether to bring tripod. lehceh to setup and all, and i scared shoot until the whole tour group wait for me very paiseh :embrass:

mostly will be taking street shots. however im sure there will be the occasionally "must take" landscape. whats your views on this? :D
if im u, i would only bring out the tripod to use during the night where we are on our own... otherwise i make do with high ISO or wide aperture to get the shot. after all u don get that much time setting up and using the tripod during the guided walk. things like railing and lamppost are good additional support.

Last edited:
Before OT time.

Dear TS, your friend may be on to something even though he may not know it. Using a 5D and (say) 20mm focal length, and f2.8 - if he had zeroed in on the hyperfocal distance (which is 4.73m), he would still have achieved a sharp image as the far DOF is 5.5KM !.

Hope this helps.

Before OT time.

Dear TS, your friend may be on to something even though he may not know it. Using a 5D and (say) 20mm focal length, and f2.8 - if he had zeroed in on the hyperfocal distance (which is 4.73m), he would still have achieved a sharp image as the far DOF is 5.5KM !.

Hope this helps.

Corners not that sharp though. ;p But I reckon still more than enough to do S8R! :bsmilie: 16mm is damn sharp.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

This bugger changes little from f2.8 to f11.

SHARP with the 24mm f1.4! f2 also can do during twilight and print S8R.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...p=480&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLI=2&API=0

Last edited:
Yesterday I go to have some shoot with my 2 of my buddies on Marrina Barrage. After that, we go to Marina Sq to have dinner, which we take a look each others result...
Looking at one of my friend's result, I found quite interesting that all his landscape is shoots using f2.8 (he used a 5D and 16-35 f2.8 L). When I asks why he using f2.8, not step down to let say f8 to achieve deep focus, he even more surprise. From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability. The other friend also try to reasoning with him and try to explain about deep focus, but seems he stands firm with his reason that f2.8 able to produce good landscape pics.

What do you guys thinking?
Normally I always step down to min f8-f10 when trying to achieve deep focus, and I believe this is also applicable to any L lenses (I don't have any)

Since its digital photos, just ask him to shoot a few shots are smaller apertures and see the difference. Then if he's still happy with shooting at f2.8, so be it, no point getting into a fuss over something like this. He likes his eggs scrambled, you like your's boiled. Life goes on.

yr friend is those whom we called "skills dont have, only look good outside"

like a footballer, can wear ala Beckman football boots, best dri-fit jersey with solid shin guards, machiam fashion model on the field.... but cannot kick the ball straight......

Yesterday I go to have some shoot with my 2 of my buddies on Marrina Barrage. After that, we go to Marina Sq to have dinner, which we take a look each others result...
Looking at one of my friend's result, I found quite interesting that all his landscape is shoots using f2.8 (he used a 5D and 16-35 f2.8 L). When I asks why he using f2.8, not step down to let say f8 to achieve deep focus, he even more surprise. From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability. The other friend also try to reasoning with him and try to explain about deep focus, but seems he stands firm with his reason that f2.8 able to produce good landscape pics.

What do you guys thinking?
Normally I always step down to min f8-f10 when trying to achieve deep focus, and I believe this is also applicable to any L lenses (I don't have any)

ok... to be fair, there are times when shooting landscapes, f2.8 is needed if you want to focus on 1 small thing in relation to the environment... but THIS is not the reason. :what:

i thot i heard it all in CS after so many years... but this takes the cake. :thumbsup:

Clearly he doesn't understand whats DOF.
His gear doesn't justify his skills.

Another GWC maybe?

When I had the 5Dmk1 and 16-35mm f2.8L last time round, I dont realy shoot at f2.8, for event I shot at f8 or f11 in some instances while using flash to fill up and ISO to 400 to booast up.

And ts friend state that it's a L lens not a kit lens so 2.8 can already :(

Kit lens can shoot at 3.5 maybe sharper for landscape if pixel peep :)

NOt really sharp at 16mm f2.8, it is soft. Maybe it is my copy but only at f5.6 it gets better, f4 still ok to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.