Shooting DSLR in Auto Mode = wasted ?

i am using a low end Canon 500D (just a note though: entry level DSLR today are on par with what used to be pro cameras 4-5yrs ago...) It is a 'lousy' shot meaning not aesthetically pleasing. although, functional

EOS 500D is not a bad camera. Why dont you post some of the photos here for us to comment?

I hope the mods don't mind -- this is Newbie session not critique session. Link to Flickr coming up...(please hold the line)

I fail to see what's so low end with 500d, it can do everything, with exception the burst is slower and maybe noisier @ extreme iso.
When I started it was the Olympus 2040 semipro and yet I still manage decent pics on my first shoot.. ohyes with nobody to spoonfeed me

Last edited:
Anyway here are some results of shooting in auto and manual modes earlier this morning. Scroll left and right to see the shots.

IMG_6915 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

500D is "entry level". when i meant "Low end" i meant it wasn't too fancy. let's be clear about this, I would not say my camera is 'great' but is good enough though :bsmilie:
I am not complaining about my camera, either. I kind of love it.

Mods: sorry hope you don't mind. I would remove this post and the links if requested
These photos are essential to the discussion of Auto/Presets vs Manual / AV/TV/etc

Last edited:
Anyway here are some results of shooting in auto and manual modes earlier this morning. Scroll left and right to see the shots.

IMG_6915 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

500D is "entry level". when i meant "Low end" i meant it wasn't too fancy. let's be clear about this, I would not say my camera is 'great' but is good enough though :bsmilie:
I am not complaining about my camera, either. I kind of love it.

Mods: sorry hope you don't mind. I would remove this post and the links if requested
These photos are essential to the discussion of Auto/Presets vs Manual / AV/TV/etc

The flash shot look spot on in terms of exposure.

there were two shots with flash, one in aperture mode with f 3.5 and the other on pure auto

there were two shots with flash, one in aperture mode with f 3.5 and the other on pure auto

pure auto flash look ok. this is typical auto flash. exposure is fine.
the ones aperture priority with flash shot look like the flash did not fire at all. Otherwise there wouldnt be shadows still on the floor. even if you bounced it.

I concur with you. curiouser and curiouser. I will check exif

all 1D series doesn't have Auto, only Manual, AV, TV and P mode

For benefit of non canon users,
AV = aperture priority auto = A mode
TV = shutter priority auto = S mode

Auto aka A mode derived from the old film days until the arrival of canon when they coined it AV mode on their AV-1 (if i remembered correctly) which stays till today.

The built-in meter follows a programmed parameter and sets the exposure and it's just a guideline for proper exposure which you can override for over or under exposure whether in manual or one of the auto modes.

A waste with dslr?
Tell that to film users who have to get the exposre right for that first shot unlike current dslr users who machine gun their way filling up memory cards.

Come to think of it, if someone says he doesn't use auto, does he focuses the lens manually too?

Btw, during film hey days, nikon pro slr tends to under-expose about 1 stop to maintain colour saturation for transparencies.
I missed using Kodachrome 25 & 64 nowadays for its excellent skin tones however i do have a couple stored in my fridge.

anuar ahmad said:
For benefit of non canon users,
AV = aperture priority auto = A mode
TV = shutter priority auto = S mode

Auto aka A mode derived from the old film days until the arrival of canon when they coined it AV mode on their AV-1 (if i remembered correctly) which stays till today.

The built-in meter follows a programmed parameter and sets the exposure and it's just a guideline for proper exposure which you can override for over or under exposure whether in manual or one of the auto modes.

A waste with dslr?
Tell that to film users who have to get the exposre right for that first shot unlike current dslr users who machine gun their way filling up memory cards.

Come to think of it, if someone says he doesn't use auto, does he focuses the lens manually too?

Btw, during film hey days, nikon pro slr tends to under-expose about 1 stop to maintain colour saturation for transparencies.
I missed using Kodachrome 25 & 64 nowadays for its excellent skin tones however i do have a couple stored in my fridge.

Has tried an rollei 35 without exposure meter (Using sunny 16 rule) it is disaster setting alone takes 15sec

try my d7000 with auto iso on AV mode. for out door, it good and sharp auto set to iso100. but for indoor, it auto set to high iso which result pix bit of grain!