Shooting a Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snoweagle said:
I've planned to rent a 17-40mm f/4L for this shoot cos i think i'll need that 'wideness' for table shoots. I myself have a tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 but somehow i feel that 28mm's not wide enough. I do not have a bounce card, only an omnibounce, or maybe i've to make my own bounce card.

Quite excited cos it's my 1st time doing a wedding shoot that's why i need some opinions on what to do. I know what u meant by the frame counter thing, fortunately my EOS 30 have a custom function to rewind film with the film leader out. :)
Wait till you re load a new roll while couple marching in half way to cut the cake than you know what he meant.

espn said:
Nope, you didn't, you missed lsisaxon point totally.

I know, it's anticipating what the next event will be an if yr roll of film's almost done and imagine during a part of the shoot a gd moment happens and you're rewinding and loading yr film. By the time u're done loading the new one, the moment's gone.

believe me.. i ever saw a popular wedding day photographer in here that could miss a march in even when he was in position and shooting digital.

reason? he was too busy reviewing EVERY single shot he took. While reviewing his shot, the couple came in quick and brisk and he missed the march in with his eyes on his LCD. Maybe he shooting video on his SLR, that i dunno. I'm not in position to judge others anyway. I was just a guest at the dining table.

catchlights said:
Wait till you re load a new roll while couple marching in half way to cut the cake than you know what he meant.

That's what i've stated above. That point is to illustrate that the film will not go to waste and can continue from where u stopped.

yanyewkay said:
believe me.. i ever saw a popular wedding day photographer in here that could miss a march in even when he was in position and shooting digital.

reason? he was too busy reviewing EVERY single shot he took. While reviewing his shot, the couple came in quick and brisk and he missed the march in with his eyes on his LCD. Maybe he shooting video on his SLR, that i dunno. I'm not in position to judge others anyway. I was just a guest at the dining table.

That's something i'll never do, even when i'm using my digital PnS to shoot things. I always shoot everything first then at the end of the day, then i review.

Snoweagle said:
That's something i'll never do, even when i'm using my digital PnS to shoot things. I always shoot everything first then at the end of the day, then i review.
anyway, since you're shooting film, the 28 will be wide enough for table shots.

yanyewkay said:
anyway, since you're shooting film, the 28 will be wide enough for table shots.
Never ever underestimate the all-10-people-with-backsides-glued-to-chair scenario.

I agree with espn. That's why i've to rent a 17-40mm f/4L to be safe as sometimes there're space constraints between tables.

espn said:
Never ever underestimate the all-10-people-with-backsides-glued-to-chair scenario.
10 old folks seated, 28mm can also do lar, but not for those small small resturant, must have like Rizz Carlton or Fullerton, if not, can always shoot across from next table mah.

Anyway, still better than shooting 3 tables join in one big group photos.

espn said:
:sweatsm::sweatsm::sweatsm:

Snoweagle said:
I know, it's anticipating what the next event will be an if yr roll of film's almost done and imagine during a part of the shoot a gd moment happens and you're rewinding and loading yr film. By the time u're done loading the new one, the moment's gone.
That's why I always use 2 bodies for weddings. :) And you don't change film when you know something is going to happen. If you know something is going to happen 5-10 mins later and there is probably nothing going to happen at the current moment, it will be wiser to check your film counter, if you have less than 5 shots on a body left, time to put in a new roll. It should not take more than 2 mins. If you think that something is going to happen, then don't change. That's why very important to use 2 bodies and stagger your shots so that if you reach end of the roll on one body you still have half a roll on the other body.

Snoweagle said:
I agree with espn. That's why i've to rent a 17-40mm f/4L to be safe as sometimes there're space constraints between tables.
You won't want to use anything wider than 24mm for film when shooting people. The corners are quite unuseable for people because of the perspective distortion of such lenses. Faces will get distorted and I'm quite sure the guests won't like that.

Snoweagle said:

You can also walk further back while using a 28mm lens. At least you won't see the distortion created by 17mm

Snoweagle said:
I've planned to rent a 17-40mm f/4L for this shoot cos i think i'll need that 'wideness' for table shoots. I myself have a tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 but somehow i feel that 28mm's not wide enough. I do not have a bounce card, only an omnibounce, or maybe i've to make my own bounce card.

Quite excited cos it's my 1st time doing a wedding shoot that's why i need some opinions on what to do. I know what u meant by the frame counter thing, fortunately my EOS 30 have a custom function to rewind film with the film leader out. :)
I think it is better to have the leader in. Less confusing that way and you won't accidentally pull it out. Better to waste some film than to get your shots destroyed. There is no second chance.

Zack said:
You can also walk further back while using a 28mm lens. At least you won't see the distortion created by 17mm
Oh yeah.. make sure one of the 'brothers' can help to arrange the next table when you're shooting the current one, otherwise, the shooting session will not end on time if you have like 40 or more tables. Brief him to arrange the people in such a way that there is no distracting background and there is space in front for you to stand if you ever need to move back. Some 'brothers' can be quite idiotic with the arrangement.

Snoweagle said:
That's what i've stated above. That point is to illustrate that the film will not go to waste and can continue from where u stopped.
Please, please don't ever do mid-roll reloading for weddings!! Very dangerous. The chances of not putting the lens cap back properly is very high.. Wasting a few frames is fine, at least you (and your clients) will have a peace of mind.

Bring a few more rolls than promised. If you're shooting for free, get the client to pay for the film. If it's a paid job, then better to throw in one or 2 more rolls for free than to miss shots because the end of the counter has been reached. The client will think that you're generous.

Snoweagle said:
don't tell me you want to re load a mid exposed roll of film.
how much $ is a roll of film? how many cents are you saving on each frame?
why waste time doing this, still have to label how many exposed frames on it.

catchlights said:
don't tell me you want to re load a mid exposed roll of film.
how much $ is a roll of film? how many cents are you saving on each frame?
why waste time doing this, still have to label how many exposed frames on it.
Miscue, over write a few frames... HO SEH LIAO...
suicide.gif

espn said:
Miscue, over write a few frames... HO SEH LIAO...
suicide.gif
Yeah.. not just you lose your previous shots, you lose your current ones also!!

I like that animated emoticon but a bit too violent yah? :)

lsisaxon said:
Yeah.. not just you lose your previous shots, you lose your current ones also!!

I like that animated emoticon but a bit too violent yah? :)
Ooops.. that's what I'd do if I had miscue by rewinding the roll and shooting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.