Shoot wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdie

Feb 14, 2002
Hello, need some help for lens recommendation..

I own a D90, with ATX 11-16mm, 35mm f1.8, and the kit 18-105mm

I'm going to Sri Lanka next year and i intend to shoot some wildlife, *RAWR*..

I believe my set-up is lacking 'reach' and i think 1 more lens should complete my set up..
Reading through the forum... i think there are only a few options
1. AF-S NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8
2. AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED

I've read that 300mm is not enough for wildlife, then what would be appropriate for wildlife?
Currently i'm on inclined on the 70-300mm, but the f2.8 for the 80-200mm is tempting me.

1. Honestly i don't think i will shoot wildlife all the time, so is there any lens rental service in Sg if i decide not to buy but rent instead?
2. Any recommendations for 3rd party lens?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

I believe my set-up is lacking 'reach' and i think 1 more lens should complete my set up..

I've read that 300mm is not enough for wildlife, then what would be appropriate for wildlife?
Currently i'm on inclined on the 70-300mm, but the f2.8 for the 80-200mm is tempting me.

1. Honestly i don't think i will shoot wildlife all the time, so is there any lens rental service in Sg if i decide not to buy but rent instead?
Thanks in advance!

Bung a TC20E on the 80-200 and it will be just long enough.

For serious wildlife work you'll need one of the following:

300/2.8 (a bit short)
400/2.8 - Great all round lens (600/2.8 on DX, with TC20E 800/5.6 or 1200/5.6 on DX)
500/4 - light and good for birds
600/4 - Getting there - great for larger game and birds
800/5.6 AIS - A real cannon of a lens
1200/11 - Yeeha with a TC301

think you need to define wildlife....

jurong birdpark or Zoo or SBWR or whatever?

Bung a TC20E on the 80-200 and it will be just long enough.

For serious wildlife work you'll need one of the following:

300/2.8 (a bit short)
400/2.8 - Great all round lens (600/2.8 on DX, with TC20E 800/5.6 or 1200/5.6 on DX)
500/4 - light and good for birds
600/4 - Getting there - great for larger game and birds
800/5.6 AIS - A real cannon of a lens
1200/11 - Yeeha with a TC301

haha..
ur recommendation is really the ang mo from hell..

not insulting but if it's true safari wildlife, with your intended gear, might as well 4get bout shoot and just enjoy the adventure

Thanks in advance!

vr70-300mm better n cheaper..but short if u taking in safari..unless sg zoo..then ok...
go to our rental page..there is one at boatquay for rental.
if got $$ then go for those longer range as suggested above..

not insulting but if it's true safari wildlife, with your intended gear, might as well 4get bout shoot and just enjoy the adventure

Not true, there's plenty of people who go on Safari in Africa armed with a 70-210 or 80-200 or a 200mm plus kit lens and come back with great shots. But for real wildlife work without the benefits of being in a group safari you'll need much longer glass.

haha..
ur recommendation is really the ang mo from hell..

Nope, it's the cold hard truth synfan, I've been shooting wildlife using those lenses (and a lot more superteles) for a *lot* of years.

You might want to consider renting the following

Nikon AFS 300mmf4 with a 1.4 teleconvertor or
Nikon 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 VR AFD

I believe these lenses should be able to work and of cos, not as good as the prime lenses. Below are some of the rental companies:

http://rentcamera.blogspot.com/
http://www.camerarental.biz/
:) Enjoy your trip!

I am not sure if TS has handled anything 300mm or longer before.

My suggestion is to have some practice with a 300mm lens at JBP, zoo to have a feel of what it is like. Shooting handheld, with monopod or tripod. Just need to try it out. :think:

Thanks for all the replies and ideas!

Just to clarify, was talking about outdoor safari in group...

I hope to get a lens, that i will still use a bit eventually, instead of being a white elephant.
Now i've got to go down and try the different lens myself

Yes, TS has nvr handled anything more than 105mm haha.. that's why need to ask pple with experience what range would i need.. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and ideas!

Just to clarify, was talking about outdoor safari in group...

I hope to get a lens, that i will still use a bit eventually, instead of being a white elephant.
Now i've got to go down and try the different lens myself

Yes, TS has nvr handled anything more than 105mm haha.. that's why need to ask pple with experience what range would i need.. :)

Thanks!

A lens with a maxium 300-400mm zoom will do the trick for you if it's safari in a group, it depends on what you'll be shooting and if you'll be on foot or in a vehicle. If you can let me know that I'll give you far more specific advise as to lens choices.

i don't think he is going there for dedicated wildlife photography like professionals.

I believe the experience and holiday pleasure is primary and photos secondary.

Many people just bring point and shoot cameras too.
I think he just wants to have nicer pictures of the entire vacation- need not be magazine quality type.

Ian: Most probably in a vehicle, right now, i'm probably looking at the 70-300mm, for it's price and 'usability' as a walkabout lens.. still intend to take decent shots of leopards/elephants though!

stingray1211: yup you're right, i'm not going there to take pro-shots, just nice shots for memories, and also nice shots to feel good :)

it really depends on how close you wanna get, and to what extent you can crop your photos.

i would suggest a 100-400mm or 200-400mm depending on canon or nikon. They're nothing compared to the primes in terms of sharpness or speed, but they are relatively cheaper and lighter, and combined with a 1.4x teleconverter (not sure if you will still have the autofocus then), you will get an effective reach close to 700mm or even more on the long end. But i guess if you're not shooting professional work, 70-300 would suffice.

it really depends on how close you wanna get, and to what extent you can crop your photos.

i would suggest a 100-400mm or 200-400mm depending on canon or nikon. They're nothing compared to the primes in terms of sharpness or speed, but they are relatively cheaper and lighter, and combined with a 1.4x teleconverter (not sure if you will still have the autofocus then), you will get an effective reach close to 700mm or even more on the long end. But i guess if you're not shooting professional work, 70-300 would suffice.

Nikon 200-400mm is nothing near to 'relatively cheaper and lighter'. Especially not cheaper - close to 10k for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.