share equipment for strobing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a great explanation, thanks.

So far, i do not have dedicated stuff like stands or reflectors (but plan to get them in he future) :)

Currently, just my cam bag to prop my AFG360 most of the time & triggered by my K10D.

Anyone know how where to get a flash holder for tripod? Really tired of the limited angles I can manage currently.

the sensor is exposed to light by 2 curtains (i think they move from bottom to top). first curtain goes up to expose the sensor to light and the 2nd curtain follows behind to cover it to end the exposure. (and then they reset back to the bottom after that)

beyond 1/180s there won't be a period where the whole curtain is exposed at the same instance, more like a slit moving upwards. pentax caps the X-sync speed to 1/180s, any faster and the hotshoe and PC sync sockets won't set off the attached flash.

depending on the quality of the radio transmitter, the strength of batteries, interference, distance, etc, there may be mis-timing of the flash "burst" so at 1/180s instead of the flash going off at the precise moment when the whole sensor is exposed, it's a little late and the rear curtain has started to move upwards already, thus blocking off the bottom horizontal part of the picture.

usually replacing the battery does the trick, if not got no choice but to use a slightly slower shutter speed so the slight mis-timing doesn't affect the picture.

i think that's how it works, hope i haven't misinformed or confused anyone..

Thats a great explanation, thanks.

So far, i do not have dedicated stuff like stands or reflectors (but plan to get them in he future) :)

Currently, just my cam bag to prop my AFG360 most of the time & triggered by my K10D.

Anyone know how where to get a flash holder for tripod? Really tired of the limited angles I can manage currently.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4982026&postcount=27

cheapest i've seen around

Hey guys lets plan a Pentaxian Strobist EB what do you think?

So I read up on the 1/180 cap and found out the reason behind it. (Any faster and the light coverage will be uneven) But still, not being to manual trigger is a downside as discovered during my dry run over the weekend. (Kept over-exposing by 2 stops at least, even at the lowest output) Wonder if I should try P-TTL next time in bright conditions? :think:

So I read up on the 1/180 cap and found out the reason behind it. (Any faster and the light coverage will be uneven) But still, not being to manual trigger is a downside as discovered during my dry run over the weekend. (Kept over-exposing by 2 stops at least, even at the lowest output) Wonder if I should try P-TTL next time in bright conditions? :think:

actually you should be stopping down the aperture and lowering the ISO such that the 1/180 + aperture + ISO give you a slightly underexposed background. you'll have to crank up the flash output level as a result.

P-TTL won't help, but HSS probably will.

actually you should be stopping down the aperture and lowering the ISO such that the 1/180 + aperture + ISO give you a slightly underexposed background. you'll have to crank up the flash output level as a result.

P-TTL won't help, but HSS probably will.

Exposure was fine at f/8-11 at ISO 100. But the need for bokeh against the cluttered background negated that. Thanks again for the loan Darren. ;)

*Goes around hunting for a manual flash on evil-bay for further experimentation*

Status
Not open for further replies.