Service or Price?

Service or Prices

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Kit

So you saying that because of this, it justifies the reasons to treat consumers badly, without respect and even being dishonest?

Read Richard's reply again. No way did he say that it justifies reasons for treating consumers badly, without respect and even being dishonest.

Sorry to be long winded again. I hate dishonesty and bad sales tactics employed by them. But then, just because one has a bad experience does not mean all the sales staff are out to con you.

Actually, I wouldn't consider a salesman to have failed if he spends 30 mins attending to me with a smile and a friendly attitude even if eventually I don't buy anything. Why?

Because I will remember this good service. Even if I didn't buy anything then, in the future if I decide to, he and his shop will be one of the first I return to. And I will not hesitate to recommend that shop to my friends. Even post my experience in forums like these. Don't you think that goes a long way?

Similarly, if the salesman gives me a half-****ed attitude, I will definitely not go back to him. And I will also tell my friends not to, and relate my experiences here.

To me, good service is when I leave the shop happy, regardless of whether I bought anything. There have been times when I've entered a shop with no intention of buying, but because the salesman is helpful, friendly, gives me good service, I buy. And I don't regret.

There have also been times when I refused to buy from a shop that gave me the lowest price simply because I didn't like their service, and I just told them, "Your shop is offering me the lowest price, but I'm not buying from you because I don't like you service." Instead I went back to another shop which was slightly more expensive but which gave me better service.

I'm not putting a price tag on service. I just feel that if we are spending our money to buy something, be it a $3 battery or a $1000 dollar camera, I should feel good about it. If I'm not happy, I rather not buy.

Just my two cents...

No, there're conditions attached on whether the salesman fails. Read my post, I said that if there are no customers in the shop, by all means, have coffee with the customer even. HOWEVER, if there're other customers in the shop...

Originally posted by vade
Actually, I wouldn't consider a salesman to have failed if he spends 30 mins attending to me with a smile and a friendly attitude even if eventually I don't buy anything. Why?

Because I will remember this good service. Even if I didn't buy anything then, in the future if I decide to, he and his shop will be one of the first I return to. And I will not hesitate to recommend that shop to my friends. Even post my experience in forums like these. Don't you think that goes a long way?

Similarly, if the salesman gives me a half-****ed attitude, I will definitely not go back to him. And I will also tell my friends not to, and relate my experiences here.

To me, good service is when I leave the shop happy, regardless of whether I bought anything. There have been times when I've entered a shop with no intention of buying, but because the salesman is helpful, friendly, gives me good service, I buy. And I don't regret.

There have also been times when I refused to buy from a shop that gave me the lowest price simply because I didn't like their service, and I just told them, "Your shop is offering me the lowest price, but I'm not buying from you because I don't like you service." Instead I went back to another shop which was slightly more expensive but which gave me better service.

I'm not putting a price tag on service. I just feel that if we are spending our money to buy something, be it a $3 battery or a $1000 dollar camera, I should feel good about it. If I'm not happy, I rather not buy.

Just my two cents...

Agreed. However, one of my colleagues is doing it differently. He scours through the net and find out as much as he can. He will then go through hunting his product where he could find the cheapest, and along the way, try to get more information from the salesperson. If he entertains him, so much the better. If he doesn't, well nevermind. Price is on his mind anyway. If he happened to find the cheapest but poor sales attitude, it is still okay. Once he is confident of the product, guess what? He will go to the place which quote the cheapest to him. Forget about good services, as he is only concerned about the item he purchase.

If he happened to get a defective one from the cheapest shop, he will make a lot of noise and even threaten to go to CASE to complain. So far, he managed to get the item exchanged. Note that only 1 case have occurred so far.

What about the salesman who gives him the services?

To have a better retailing society in Singapore, we really need to have a paradigm shift for both the customers and the salesperson.

Originally posted by Goondu

To have a better retailing society in Singapore, we really need to have a paradigm shift for both the customers and the salesperson.

Well said, in more ways than one. Some people want better service without making and compromises.. what'd you expect?

Originally posted by YSLee

Well said, in more ways than one. Some people want better service without making and compromises.. what'd you expect?

It is easier said than done, of course. As long as my colleague who does not bat his eyelid on services, it will be almost impossible. I can hear his cries "Oi, why price jump so high already?".

It is easier said than done, of course. As long as my colleague who does not bat his eyelid on services, it will be almost impossible. I can hear his cries "Oi, why price jump so high already?".

It's not really just price, but how both consumers and salesmen change their mindsets, as you've put it. Expensive doesn't mean good service, and vice versa.

some stingy folks will scream over a minor price change
Wah! XXX increase 10bucks ah......

While other prefer the best of both world

i work before in handphone shop and a shop like giordano
some of those customer have a attitude problem...mainly foreign customers..

it boil down to what you want
my preference is service;)

Agreed too. It has to work both ways. Some people know what they want, and they go and find the shop that gives them the cheapest price, and they just buy it and go.

For me, before I buy anything, I usually do my research first, so its very often that I go out already knowing what I want, just like your colleague. However, I still like to see a smiling face and a friendly attitude when I buy something. Like I said, if I buy anything, I want to be happy buying it. So what if he has the cheapest price? If he doesn't show that he values my business, I'll just take it somewhere else.

However, neither do I go by the maxim that the customer is always right. Just because I'm buying from him doesn't give me to right to lord over him. Customers also have to start showing some appreciation. A simple 'Thank you' or 'Sorry to trouble you' will suffice.

Bottomline is, customers have to show that they value and appreciate good service, before the standard of service in Singapore will improve.

Again, just my two cents...

Yay, I've finally got some life into the forum. ;)

Goondu, I certainly agree that the customers need to change too, no doubt about that.

Richard, no problem with your points either, I don't disagree that service costs money.

My point is just that service costs money. But service is service. While good service costs more than no service, I still don't see why it should cost more than poor service.

The reason why nobody complains is because we seem to be resigned to the fact that we should be paying more for service before we can complain about it.

Without meaning to start another "my favourite shop gives me the red carpet thing", that's what my local shop does for me. Before anyone gets the idea that it's because I buy huge amounts of stuff, I don't. I think the most expensive thing I've ever bought is a Bronica back, at about S$250. And I rarely buy anything cause I don't really use consumables these days. Yet they're friendly (to everyone who comes in for that matter), they'll chat and talk, less if they're busy, but they're still happy to explain a point and shoot, digital or film, to someone they don't know, as they are chatting to me about how crap brand XYZ's service is when there's no one else around. I will admit sometimes they will curse and swear after the fact when they deal with someone who's been particularly difficult, but in those situations, it's still helpful first, complain later. Sure this sounds a little two-faced, but sometimes when I am present I must say the complaints are fully justified.

There was this guy who spent 20 minutes complaining that he should be getting the right to bring the camera back if he didn't like it (i.e. wasn't what he wanted), before he'd even bought anything. Had trouble speaking English too. He got polite explanation for 20 minutes, and the complaints only came after he'd left. And yes it was a basic point and shoot, not a high spec SLR.

Why am I bringing this up? Just trying to reinforce the idea of what service really is for people who've been brought up on the Singaporean idea of what it is.

every penny spend by the customer , to them is cost saving
every service render by the sale person , to them is seeing the customer come back again

being in sale line running outfeild for pass 15 years , customer is never change regradless where they from , customer have expectation for the service they have demand EVEN when they dont buy anything ,

as a sale personnel its not just making your customer to buy , the service u provide is a trust to the customer . most of the time u will see customer wondering around for better offer . this is practical . how do u make the customer to buy from u is 2nd important compare to making them to come back next time even they dont bu from u .

who dont perfer cheap stuff , everyone does , but some perfer good service , wherelse some go for better price as its within their budget . i remember some one post will a saleman be able to service the same way even after 10 customer didnt bu from him... the answer is yes ! a good saleman will always be ABLE to serve his customer even they dont buy again .

my experence , when i operate a shop somewhere last time , i get lot of students coming asking for info and price before they actaully buy (which often lead to no sale), now i cant get the best price for them due to the bad market and unhealty price slash , but i can provide service by providing them the info and letting them know the actually market price, in the end i found that as they grow up they come and visit me and tend to get something from me even they dont need it (i know them since they are young) btw the way i am not that old lol i just happen to know them when they r like 8 to 10 , till now they still contact me even tho i longer operate shop but am working , which i feel i have to follow the time step and i strongly feel i can serve better island wide rather then waiting in the shop :)

In between my years of working , i do give trainning to some sale person , everyone have their first time :) but i can only conclude that it depend on one attudite and not the lesson that being taught . i have put up an MO in HWZ for batt.. all bro its batt not some expensive D1 and i also doing the leg work by sending them to the nearest place they can collect , how much profit will i make? lol , even the order is as little as 1 twin pack 2 pcs only :)

I would say some might not met those who really serve u well or those who serve u bad ... first impression is important ... service is on top of every thing regradless of the profit , who dont want good service? rather then good price and ask u to go somewhere else to look for help when u have problem :)

Originally posted by sunyee
every penny spend by the customer , to them is cost saving
every service render by the sale person , to them is seeing the customer come back again

being in sale line running outfeild for pass 15 years , customer is never change regradless where they from , customer have expectation for the service they have demand EVEN when they dont buy anything ,

as a sale personnel its not just making your customer to buy , the service u provide is a trust to the customer . most of the time u will see customer wondering around for better offer . this is practical . how do u make the customer to buy from u is 2nd important compare to making them to come back next time even they dont bu from u .

who dont perfer cheap stuff , everyone does , but some perfer good service , wherelse some go for better price as its within their budget . i remember some one post will a saleman be able to service the same way even after 10 customer didnt bu from him... the answer is yes ! a good saleman will always be ABLE to serve his customer even they dont buy again .

my experence , when i operate a shop somewhere last time , i get lot of students coming asking for info and price before they actaully buy (which often lead to no sale), now i cant get the best price for them due to the bad market and unhealty price slash , but i can provide service by providing them the info and letting them know the actually market price, in the end i found that as they grow up they come and visit me and tend to get something from me even they dont need it (i know them since they are young) btw the way i am not that old lol i just happen to know them when they r like 8 to 10 , till now they still contact me even tho i longer operate shop but am working , which i feel i have to follow the time step and i strongly feel i can serve better island wide rather then waiting in the shop
In between my years of working , i do give trainning to some sale person , everyone have their first time but i can only conclude that it depend on one attudite and not the lesson that being taught . i have put up an MO in HWZ for batt.. all bro its batt not some expensive D1 and i also doing the leg work by sending them to the nearest place they can collect , how much profit will i make? lol , even the order is as little as 1 twin pack 2 pcs only
I would say some might not met those who really serve u well or those who serve u bad ... first impression is important ... service is on top of every thing regradless of the profit , who dont want good service? rather then good price and ask u to go somewhere else to look for help when u have problem :)

Yes, my point precisely, sunyee. There will be good salesman and there will be bad salesman. I am not arguing this point. Likewise, there will be good customers, and there will be customers who will think "Hey, I have the money! You salesman better treat me like a king or else I will take my money elsewhere.". There will also be customers who are rude and unreasonable. I am sure many of us may have witness this one way or another. sunyee, basing on your track record of sales, you may have come across quite a few of these customers. Well, IF I am a salesman, I would like to tell these people "Oh, no thank you. You can spend your money elsewhere. You are not welcome." (Probably, that explains why I am not in the sales line in the first place) :)

I will always take it that a service is always a product. Look, when we buy a product, say a digicam, it is not nice to see threads that say "My camera is better than yours" type. but when there are threads that say "Salesman A is better than Salesman B", there is a sense of general tolerance of what these people has to say. Now if we cannot accept the former but can tolerate the latter, why so?

Check the threads over here, if you want to know what I am writing. I always believe that if this digicam does not satisfy my need, I will find one that does. I will not go spouting that the digicam is no good, or poor quality, or others. But what about services? If one is not satisfied with the services, you will see lots of complains all over.

If we think that it is not right to compare different digicams, is it right then to compare different sales services?? :dunno:

Frankly, after going through these few days, the "Oh-I-have-the-money-you-better-treat-me-like-a-king-or-else" type of customers are alive and kicking. :(

Service might not be the best even from the best service provider, u might still encounter some bad experience.

So with prices of things going up, it's better to buy things cheaper, so what if the salesman give bad serivce, use the money saved to make yourself happy.

Ah Beng

If we think that it is not right to compare different digicams, is it right then to compare different sales services?? :dunno:

I think instead of looking at it from your perspective, let me offer an alternative point of view. When I share my experiences about bad service and bad salesmen, I'm not necessarily complaining about them.

Say I buy something from Shop A, and later on I realise that they charge me much higher than its worth, or there's something wrong with the product and they refuse to provide after-sales service. When I share this experience here, it is to warn, to a certain extent, fellow forumers here about that particular shop. Eventually, whether they decide to take my word for it, it's still up to them.

Likewise, if I'm impressed with a particular shop's service, I won't hesitate to recommend it here or to my friends. Whether or not they take my recommendation or not is still up to them.

Call it a shop/salesman/service review if you like. Very much like all the product reviews you see around.

Frankly, after going through these few days, the "Oh-I-have-the-money-you-better-treat-me-like-a-king-or-else" type of customers are alive and kicking. :(

Unfortunately, I've to agree with you here. I've seen pretty unreasonable customers, and if I was the one serving them, I'd probably get a heart attack. Like I said, it works both ways. *shrug*

its actually very very simple...
just like MU fans vs LP fans
comeon guys :) wat we see here happen all around the world, bear in mind wat type of attitute u expect....as a customer
wat type of customer u expect/perfer....saleman
pro and con not only saleman or the customer :)
it take 2 hand to clap but sometime u just have to give in to compromize, i would rather feel 'if i get better service i wont mind coming back again' then 'i know yours is the cheapest but u dont have to treat me like a begger'
but still, if i am a customer i go for both service and budget, think twice, wat ever u buy u expect service in the end, no matter u buy it cheap or expensive. if i am the saleman, i would let the customer remember me for the helpfulness then the cheap price.
in life we already meet too many high and low, being a customer its time to enjoy, just relax and enjoy, nothing wrong to enjoy, as long u r happy, wheather service and cost, u must be happy :D
and being a saleman,when u put a tag on, your job is to make the customer happy. when u finish work, u r customer to another person, and his job is to make u happy... come on :D
when u poll for cheap cost u will end up going for their service cos u feel they should serve u(but might not be happy exp) even u dont go back to them u will still look for other shop to serve u, and if u opt for service, u spend a little more but u will be more happy and and even more happy when u dont have to spend time for another shop that will make u happy
the ending is the same...service is wat u want, not the attitude of the saleman or the customer, it is wat u r after. no matter how u started off. just a thought:)

I wont mind paying a bit more for better service. Sometimes even thou I know the store sells @ a higher price, but I've got better relationship with the owner/sales person there, I will still buy from them provided the price difference is not too huge.

Smaller items like battery, I dun care their service, and rather on the price. But for body/lens, I will want to have good after-sales service =)

To be fair the sales people, some Singaporeans (Singaporeans because I only had sales experience with Singaporean customers) typically expects the wrong things from a salesperson. e.g. a customer walks into your shop, looks around, ask a lot of questions and try to bargain and then in the end tell you that your products suck and is wasting his/her time bargaining.

So it's clearly that some people aren't really interested in buying or knowing more about the product in the first place, they just want to get the thrill in getting the best bargains. When they fail to reach this goal, they gets unhappy and criticize the shop etc.

But my stand remains that salespersons, regardless of the types of customers they get, should be at least be honest and polite. I don't expect them to be smiling all the time, just treat the customers with decent respect and sincerity. It won't cost them more. Walking away to serve another customer while I am considering is OK, but impatiently telling me "want to buy or not?" and showing the smelly face is NOT OK. Some shopkeepers are so paranoid with customers handling their goods that they treat people walking into their shops like thieves. I've even got a salesperson telling me "don't touch this, don't open that" when I was merely looking at the box; as if I were a kid or thief. This is way below the minimum respect that anyone would expect as a person.

So its all about honesty and respect. To the sales people - treat your customers -as- customers!

hehe finally decided to post something from a sales pov

what I really hate are ppl:
- come in with a know-it-all attitude, loud n smug, but a fragile shell easily trashed with a simple (eg aperture or macro) question
- demand that you to know the digital zoom or batt model number of every single product, and if u have to check it up (by reading the bright sticker on the device) u r a fraud? duh?
- come in guns firing becos u're going to con them, already.
- every statement "aiyah so expensive" as if I am the one setting the price. this is a major dept store not SLS. go buy a webcam.
- ixus buyers (ok I'm biased here ;) )

normal polite(!) unassuming patrons whether buying or not I wd let them test, answer all sorts of qns, no obligations.

but of cos ;p worst are those who dun buy and make a lot of pretentious noise. imagine you facing not only once, but over 10x a day.

ok my qn about this poll, wd u prefer paying more for AFTERsales service? yes I wd. presales I just ask for 7 day 1-to-1. dun care whether I bought it in SLT or holland v.

Status
Not open for further replies.