Seeking compensation for total failure wedding photog

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitewalk said:
I know it doesn't mean immediate, but some people may be rash, so just a friendly reminder to keep calm ;)

Ah! Cool!

Sorry to hear about your predicament and it's almost like back in the film days
where wedding pictures failed to be recorded bcoz film was not properly loaded
into winding spool thus film was not advanced after each shot.

Perhaps you should take advice from the bros here to get the CF card and do your own recovery and bill the BS.

That is a terrible thing to happen to a wedding photographer. That is why most pro levels DSLR equipped with dual card slots. For me I everytime shoot with dual cards. CF card will store the RAW format and the SD Card will store the JPEG format. So if any case 1 of the card failed at least you still have either the RAW or JPEG photos. If both card failed together than I will go buy TOTO.

But really sad to hear that. I think the most you can ask them to refund the actual wedding day amount. Or like what other had said ask them for the failed CF or SD card and try to recover the photos from data recovery shops. If can recover than charge the bill to the wedding shop.

I know I may be stretching things a little, but the "corrupted card" may just be an excuse for something more sinister. Maybe the photographer was shooting without a memory card? Or perhaps the photos were bad and the bridal studio decided against showing photos, but to claim for a technical glitch instead.

Once again, I know I may be simply excessively imaginative, but it is a possibility, isn't it?

That why must get the card from them. If they say no card or throw away, then something must be wrong. Very wrong.

Dual card in cam is a safe pre caution, if not, just use multiple 2gb card to reduce the risk.

there is no way for him to shoot the whole wedding day with just one memory card unless maybe 64gb! even if he did, he shld have back up the files at least for the morning session before going for the night banquet. it just doesnt make sense.

When memory card is corrupted, its fat table is damage and unreadable. The recovery software can scan the main content to restore it back but take sometimes. It is possible to recover the photos from corrupted media. You should request them to hand over the corrupted memory card. Recover the photos and charge under their expense.

Hrm, something fishy if it is only 2 weeks after they told you the card is corrupted.
Quite unlikely for someone to shoot a wedding, and keep the card for so long. Normally I would back up the files on the card on the same day, so the card can be used again.
My wild guess is they might have accidentally format the card.

I personally used this to recover deleted files of my memory cards:
Free Pandora File Recovery - Find and recover deleted files of any type.

I think with all the responses here, the essential to-do is:

GET THE MEMORY CARD FROM THEM.

If they fail to give it to you, then it's no longer an accident. Probably some cover-up will be given.

Hopefully that dumb photog doesn't shoot anything with the card after he formats it, if not it's bye bye.

...... After 2 weeks from wedding, was told the memory card corrupted, tried their best but no photos can be salvaged.

You can ask the photographer to pass you the so-called corrupted memory card.
He may not be computer savvy.
There might be a way to salvage the photos from the card that this particular photographer does not know of.

Any updates from TS? Managed to get the cards?

if the card is ok after reformatted, the phtgr will most likely reused the card, which means it's almost impossible to recover the photos.

if the card is ok after reformatted, the phtgr will most likely reused the card, which means it's almost impossible to recover the photos.

That's why with dual card slots, I mirror the images. And chimping is what we do to ensure the card can be read.

Formatted cards CAN be recovered to contrary belief that the data is lost. Like some pointed, the FAT is destroyed when formatted, the data is not deleted from the card. FAT destroyed, 'hides' the files and tells the device 'free space' is available.

Even if the file was deleted physically, by reconstructing the bits and pieces, software can actually reconstruct the file information (provided the software was designed to do that) including RAWs to normal.

You can try Data Recovery Services by CBL: Hard Drive Recovery Services, Laptop, RAID Recovery for professional recovery, but you will be paying a bomb for it. Won't be an arm or leg, more like your arms/legs including your wife's.

They charge per GB.

Reminder to shooters, keep your cards for each segment in shooting separate, morning gate crash/tea ceremony/group/ROM/dinner. Every 2 years, you should change new cards. Tolong, so cheap now, don't ngeow la.

Can find few freelancing data recovery guys on hwz. Be lots cheaper than charged outside. Was abt S$200..

Used once to recover Hdd. Has already tried diff commercial softwares myself as recommended online and failed. But he succeeded and still managed to recover .psds for me.

Last edited:
Agree that you should ask for the CF card. No photographer will want a corrupted card but dismissing it as a common error is slipshod. They should have tried all means to recover the data before telling you simply that it's gone for good.

I got my Kingston card recovered in their service centre for free. I try my camera, laptop card reader, bought 2 more different card reader, office's card reader and my friend's card reader, all cannot detect the card. Went to the service centre, just like magic, their one can read... They let me copied all the info out to my thumbdrive and troubleshoot the card nothing wrong, say my house got ghost. I never buy Kingston memory card again although the service centre people quite helpful.

say my house got ghost.

They sounds quite rude to say that considering the failure of their product had caused you stress and inconvenience.

Can someone give me some possible answers why one of my friends always has problem with anything electrical or electronic? Anything he uses or buys will always have some complications or spoilt .... examples: Apple computers, air-con, cameras, etc ..... I suspect it is because of some interference from his physical body.

Status
Not open for further replies.