Seek Suggestions For choosing Prime Lens

I have no idea about the prices in SGD but go for the 50/1.4G or the 85/1.4 if you can.

A new 50/1.4G is about $900 and 85/1.4D about $1600. Just estimate prices... pls check with shops for more specific price ;)

The 50/1.4G can AF on D60, but 85/1.4 cannot.

Last edited:
Hi! Bro,Thks for ur advice. I've mentioned in followup post that mostly is outdoor and sometimes indoor. I am thinking of spending around SGD300. :)

With a budget of abt $300, the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 is your best bet. All the other lenses are more costly.

If you are unsure about the FOV, just use your kit lens, turn to 35mm, and look through it. Then turn to 50mm and look through it. This will give you a rough gauge of what you will get with the prime lens.

Last edited:
With a budget of abt $300, the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 is your best bet. All the other lenses are more costly.

If you are unsure about the FOV, just use your kit lens, turn to 35mm, and look through it. Then turn to 50mm and look through it. This will give you a rough gauge of what you will get with the prime lens.

Sure bro!!:). I'll check as you suggested.

I have no idea about the prices in SGD but go for the 50/1.4G or the 85/1.4 if you can.

Choose lens with motor (ie; Nikon AFs) for your D60, because has motor inside so u can Auto Focus.
With your budget u will get: Nikon AFs 35mm f1.8, this is good lens.

Last edited:
Choose lens with motor (ie; Nikon AFs) for your D60, because has motor inside so u can Auto Focus.

good points :thumbsup:

thkz for ur reminder!! :)

Hi!
I would like to buy prime lens for portrait with nice background scences. I'd take bokeh photos sometimes.
Anyone could suggest me which lens should I choose?

I'm using Nikon D60.

Thanks in advance to all!! :)

hmm... im guessin u're just trying out cos u havent gone into prime lenses yet... well 35mm is ur cheapest bet ;)

The cheapest option would be a AI 50mm f1.8 . While initially having no metering and no AF would be seen as a huge stumbling block, but soon enough you'll learn how to do all that metering and foucsing by yourself! (Manual Mode FTW XD) This path might be tough, but you'll learn your camera in the least possible time haha :p

Regards,
gibss.

Nikkor 35mm f1.8 is a good lens but if u can save up more go for the superb sigma 30mm f1.4. Take a look at sigma 30mm thread..

Thkz to all. I'll take into consideration for all of ur suggestions. I got a idea of which one to choose. Now in my mind is 35 mm prime lens as this is my first prime lens to try.:)

good points :thumbsup:
The points about the AF motor is good, but the 35/1.8 won't give him the nice DOF he is looking for. He needs a longer lens to get the DOF he wants, at least the 50/1.8 which is cheaper than the 50/1.4.

If u r looking for something longer and yet AF with the D60, u can have a look at 60mm and the 105mm micro lenses. works great to shoot people too! ( the later will need to put abit more distance la, but i am quite pleased by the oof blur of the 105mm )

ryan

If u r looking for something longer and yet AF with the D60, u can have a look at 60mm and the 105mm micro lenses. works great to shoot people too! ( the later will need to put abit more distance la, but i am quite pleased by the oof blur of the 105mm )

ryan

Noted Ryan!! :)

Hi Everyone.

I am thinking of getting prime lens as a 2nd lens (I have the D90 18-105mm kit now)

Am set on either the 50 or 85. But I need to know if the difference in F between 1.4 & 1.8 will be a big significance in picture Quality & bokeh? (Don't talk about price. I know big difference.)

If the difference is negligible, the I don't mind the 1.8, but if it's at one look and can tell the difference, then might as well buy the 1.4.

Regards
Navin

hmm... both f1.8 and 1.4 have nice bokeh... however, some pple think that 1.4 is too soft for them. so it kind of depends on whether u like the output pic as well.

pls refer to tis thread!