Scratch on barrel of lens

canon450D

Aug 27, 2008
Hi I bought a brand new Canon EFS lens from a local well known shop among CSers (not a blacklisted one). This lens had been taken from a kit and comes without a box although the price was lower than the boxed version. Lens comes with a local warranty card. I was shocked to find a single scratch about 0.75cm on the section of the lens barrel nearest to the mount where the minimun focus distance is printed. The rest of the lens seems new and it works normally. All this while, new lenses that I have purchased have not had scratches. I wonder if any of us has had a similar experience. What is your take on this? Could the lens have been sold before and returned? What should I do? Thanks.

Hi I bought a brand new Canon EFS lens from a local well known shop among CSers (not a blacklisted one). This lens had been taken from a kit and comes without a box although the price was lower than the boxed version. Lens comes with a local warranty card. I was shocked to find a single scratch about 0.75cm on the section of the lens barrel nearest to the mount where the minimun focus distance is printed. The rest of the lens seems new and it works normally. All this while, new lenses that I have purchased have not had scratches. I wonder if any of us has had a similar experience. What is your take on this? Could the lens have been sold before and returned? What should I do? Thanks.

You could ask for clarification from the shop, but then again you should have checked the lens on the spot before making payment and leaving. That would have been the best way to prevent confusion.

Lighting in the shop was not the best. Also scratch is not easily visible even in bright light. Has to be angled to be visible.

it could be one which has been used and returned by others, but am afraid that there's nothing u could do, since u already left the shop. the shop could easily turnaround and say that u are the one that scratched it.

though it's heart pain to experience this since u are by right buying a new lens, but just treat it as a small lesson. next time when u buy ur lens, remember to check thoroughly. As a consolation, the lens is working fine right?

and btw, even if the shop is a well known shop, NEVER EVER rest ur assurance on their name. A VERY well known shop in Funan also tried to sell a 2nd hand lens as brand new to me - which however the salesperson didn't manage to smoke me through - and that lens was a $3,380 lens.

You can probably try your luck, although, as pointed out, the store can easily play hard ball with you and you will have a hard time explaining to yourself.

On the other hand, I am assuming that the lens, being a kit lens, is thankfully of lower value than many other lenses, and that since it is a cosmetic scratch, should function normally as a lens would. So if your return to the store doesn't do you justice, at least you know you have a working lens.

A VERY well known shop in Funan also tried to sell a 2nd hand lens as brand new to me - which however the salesperson didn't manage to smoke me through - and that lens was a $3,380 lens.

Sorry to hear that. How did you discover lens was 2nd hand? If there are no scratches at all, what can clue us in that lens is 2nd hand? Can Canon service centre
help?

Sorry to hear that. How did you discover lens was 2nd hand? If there are no scratches at all, what can clue us in that lens is 2nd hand? Can Canon service centre
help?

1. I always request to open the box myself. When I open the box myself, I will open carefully and slowly to observe if there are obvious creases and bends in the box flap.

2. After opening the box, see how is the manual placed inside the box. If the manual is anyhow slotted, and not neatly placed - u know its open.

3. check the Styrofoam that protect the lens to see if the Styrofoam has obvious deep scratches - if yes, most likely its taken out a number of times.

4. check the wrapper that is wrapping the lens - if the wrapper is super creasy i.e. looks like it has been wrapped and unwrapped many many times - most likely the lens has been taken out a number of times. If the wrapper is neat and clean and without much creases, its likely new. (the plastic wrapper that wraps the lens is easily prone to creases, just like plastic bags)

5. check the lens hood wrapper - this is the item that is most easily creased if the hood has been taken out. And then of course check the hood, the hood is much more easier prone to scratches.

6. check the lens itself - the overall lens must look new, no scratches, on barrel, no scratches on surface of lens, and the mounting part must be smooth and shiny and without scratches. check the condition of the black flocking (the black velvet lining at the mounting area of the lens to see if the flocking is smooth and new and not dropping off. Turn the focusing and zoom ring of the lens and see if it feels right. If the lens is those that extend out when zoomed/change focus, check that the extended part of the lens is spanking clean, without much dust/scratches.

=========================

now for the case which I had:
1. the box flap is slightly creased and showed obvious sign of having been opened before.

2. the manual is awkwardly slotted in the box, and not nicely placed.

3. the lens wrapper was very very very creased - like those ntuc plastic bags that have been used numerous times.

4. there are numerous dust on the surface of the lens. I also saw obvious dust particles when viewed from the rear of the lens.

5. at the rear of the lens, the rear black flocking is "dropping" out.

The 5 things I highlighted above were so obvious that my wife which was beside me that day, was similarly able to spot all the same flaws. I immediately rejected the lens.

I was rather sad and disappointed by the store, because I am a frequent patron of the store for years and have trusted them. I never expected the salesperson (whom I knew) to pull such a fast one on me.

it could be one which has been used and returned by others, but am afraid that there's nothing u could do, since u already left the shop. the shop could easily turnaround and say that u are the one that scratched it.

though it's heart pain to experience this since u are by right buying a new lens, but just treat it as a small lesson. next time when u buy ur lens, remember to check thoroughly. As a consolation, the lens is working fine right?

and btw, even if the shop is a well known shop, NEVER EVER rest ur assurance on their name. A VERY well known shop in Funan also tried to sell a 2nd hand lens as brand new to me - which however the salesperson didn't manage to smoke me through - and that lens was a $3,380 lens.

Do you mind sharing which shop it was?

now for the case which I had:
1. the box flap is slightly creased and showed obvious sign of having been opened before.

2. the manual is awkwardly slotted in the box, and not nicely placed.

3. the lens wrapper was very very very creased - like those ntuc plastic bags that have been used numerous times.

4. there are numerous dust on the surface of the lens. I also saw obvious dust particles when viewed from the rear of the lens.

5. at the rear of the lens, the rear black flocking is "dropping" out.

The 5 things I highlighted above were so obvious that my wife which was beside me that day, was similarly able to spot all the same flaws. I immediately rejected the lens.

I was rather sad and disappointed by the store, because I am a frequent patron of the store for years and have trusted them. I never expected the salesperson (whom I knew) to pull such a fast one on me.

It "could be" the potential buyer backout last min after the lens was unbox n taken out.... do u consider this as a used lens?

Also I often see ppl here suggest to test a few copies of lens to ensure no ff/bf issue. So these lenses are consider used lens as well?

My take is, when u purchase a lens, just check the lens with your best knowledge. Usually what I do is to check exterior, front n rear element and look through the lens to see if there's any haze or fungus. Dust wise, lesser the better (depending how fussy u are). Last but not least, test the lens. If u are not satisfy, request for another copy. Hmmmmm then again this lens will be considered "used"? That's bad.... :p

• Just buy only used lenses from now on and you won't have to worry about being sold a used lens that was supposed to be brand new.

• Find a shop owner (the owner, not the salesman) whom you can trust; and just ask him is the lens mint. If he confirms, then buy it. Don't go on to inspect for ½ hour after he has already confirmed to you that it is mint, in front of others in the shop.

• Don't bring your own torch light and shine into the lens to check for defects. This is just a hobby. Not a murder scene investigation. It is quite insulting.

Last edited:

After reading your comments, I assume that the lens is working well, no calibrating issue, no auto focus issue, no other problems at all, just that small little scratch. And since you cannot even see the scratch without turning the lens to an angle... means that the scratch was so very very mild.

Do note that it is a kit lens right? Which mean this lens came together with a body, but the body had been sold and the lens would then be sold to you without a box. Well... as you know, the box was one of the protection for the lens, without the box, depending on how you keep that lens, there might have some cosmetic issues that came with that lens. however there really is no need to be panick over this small issue.

Also after working for so many years in the consumer electronic industry, what many people assume is scratches might not be scratches at all. There are many cosmetic defects that are consider okay and outright unsolvable issue in plastic molding processes, what you see might not be scratch but weldline, caused during plastic injection molding. If you do not believe, you can take out some of your home appliance and look at those places where your buttons are. Most probably you will see some very thin lines at the holes area (provided that those area are not painted over by spray paint or anything like that).

WELD LINE IN MOULDING

so my advise is, don't be too picky... unless the lens is not functioning properly.

Last edited:
Sooner or later you will be adding your own user marks to the lens. It may have already been there from the factory. But it should not affect the photographs you make with the lens. If it does, and can clearly be shown, you have a case, not only with the shop, but with Canon themselves, to have the lens fixed or replaced.

In any case, I also dislike people who think their money is such a big deal when buying a thousand dollar lens that they try to ask to try every single copy of the lens that the shop has in order to pick the "sharpest" copy.

Sooner or later you will be adding your own user marks to the lens. It may have already been there from the factory. But it should not affect the photographs you make with the lens. If it does, and can clearly be shown, you have a case, not only with the shop, but with Canon themselves, to have the lens fixed or replaced.

In any case, I also dislike people who think their money is such a big deal when buying a thousand dollar lens that they try to ask to try every single copy of the lens that the shop has in order to pick the "sharpest" copy.

And it makes me wonder, how these people deem which copy is the sharpest. As if the camera's LCD screen is retina display or what, LOL.

And it makes me wonder, how these people deem which copy is the sharpest. As if the camera's LCD screen is retina display or what, LOL.

I believe there's people who bring lap top to test the lens.....

Halfmoon said:

Yup, you have to be careful in Singapore. Most higher priced tools have been taken out of their boxes at least once, even if it was just the shop staff to play around with it.

This kind of issue tough la.

they can ask u go fly kite, since you already check everything ok. How would they know if the scratch was there or you scratched it when you brought it home.

but like others have mentioned. you can always try your luck.

This I can attest to. I ever saw a bro mounting his 5Dmk2 on a tripod whilst hooking it up to his macbook, to compare 100mm macro L vs non L

5now5torm said:
This I can attest to. I ever saw a bro mounting his 5Dmk2 on a tripod whilst hooking it up to his macbook, to compare 100mm macro L vs non L

Somebody has to buy those "tested" lenses sooner or later. :)

If you had to hold the lens at an angle to see the scratch, the shop people may not have noticed the scratch and were unaware at the time of sale. Still though it is a heart-ache to have a scratch of any kind on a brand new item.

I would suggest that you bring it back to the store and see if the shop would be willing to exchange it for another lens. The worst they can do is say no.

Either way I don't think it's really a big deal. The shop did provide a lower price and the lens doesn't appear to have any other deficiencies.

Another alternative is to sell the lens on B&S at the price you paid for it or slightly lower. Some people may have a greater tolerance for scratches and be willing to pay for a brand new lens at a lower price.

Somebody has to buy those "tested" lenses sooner or later. :)

I personally don't care if the lens has been "tested" before or not. haha. as long as it is in good condition.