Save the Singaporean photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some modelling agencies in Singapore got together to form a cartel of sorts, but along the way some dropped out because they don't want to be subject to the price fixing.

With the new Competition Act, a number of bodies of associations may suddenly find themselves in breach or at risk of being in breach of the Act by continuing anti-competitive practices. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of associations are currently in a frenzy to seek legal advice on the Act.

theRBK said:
If you think educating and organising photogs is a waste of time, look at the case of the modelling agencies in Singapore... try your luck getting them to break out of their pricing system :think:

or you waiting for an ex freelance photog to help ;p

Well, the "price modification" is still very widespread and inflexible...have seen recently from an example of a local company, one of the largest in Singapore with foreign interests, who had to postpone indefinitely their project because of not being able to negotiate a resonable price for modal image loadings...take it as hearsay if you want, but the price "structure" is here to stay...at least for now.

In any case, the Competition Act has provisions, read from Annex A of the act, for agreements in pricing that improve production or distribution, or promote technical or economic progress as long as it does not prevent others from joining the industry or eliminate competition. I'm no lawyer but I don't think it will be difficult for the modalling agencies to advocate their case of improving the professionalism of their industry or protecting the financial well-being if their charges, the modals, in a way that does not reduce the competitiveness of their industry...

Hi guys,
I had some free time this afternoon and went browsing at Page One, kinokuniya and taka. Came across a book showcasing Hong Kong Institute of Professional Photographers (HKIPP).

Most importantly, is their standard terms & conditions spelt out at the back of the book.

You can view this at their website http://www.hkipp.org/version2/index.php
click on the "Terms and conditions" link.

Now....i think its only a matter of time before singapore had our own professional body of sorts... i hope :thumbsup:

COBALT said:
Most importantly, is their standard terms & conditions spelt out at the back of the book.

You can view this at their website http://www.hkipp.org/version2/index.php
click on the "Terms and conditions" link.

And according to those terms & conditions, you could not even get a passport photo done without setting up a special contract.

I feel that the "terms & conditions" for the HONG KONG INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS can help serve as a guideline for photographers here. Of course we would have to adapt it to suite the business model here :)

Singapore is afterall still a young nation. Its only a matter of time before some people will band together and create such a professional body that would serve the interests of photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.