Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Field Test - Amazing Sharpness and IQ !

can i ask TS if he shoots using Samyang 14mm f/2.8 with his 550D for all the picture posted?

can i ask TS if he shoots using Samyang 14mm f/2.8 with his 550D for all the picture posted?

Yes, Canon 550D with Samyang 14mm f/2.8

So does anyone know if someone has made a lightroom 3 profile for correcting the wavy barrel distortion on this guy?

er... sgcamerastore is selling at 750 SGD now... btw when the aperature is selected only on the len... wont it be difficult to adapt???

I wonder where can i try out this lens?

er... sgcamerastore is selling at 750 SGD now... btw when the aperature is selected only on the len... wont it be difficult to adapt???

I wonder where can i try out this lens?

no. it just take some time to get used to. on the camera, the f stop will show f/00.

i installed an AF confirmation chip on mine and programmed it to reflect 14mm F2.8 ha.........not needed for distant landscapes, but pretty useful for close-up shots :) 14mm at the minimum focus distance of about 20cm gives some pretty interesting perspectives

i installed an AF confirmation chip on mine and programmed it to reflect 14mm F2.8 ha.........not needed for distant landscapes, but pretty useful for close-up shots :) 14mm at the minimum focus distance of about 20cm gives some pretty interesting perspectives

bro can share how to do that? nvm try stuff like this before!

bro can share how to do that? nvm try stuff like this before!

yes, Ricleo, pls do share about the af comfirmation chip.

i bought mine without any chip, and have no problem with close distance.

i ordered mine from Tagotech, the latest dandalion AF chip. They have a piece of plastic to guide you on where to stick the AF chip, but u need to stick a thin plastic/cardboard below the chip to "raise" the height of the AF chip for it to work with our DSLRs. Think the chip was made for those EF mount adaptors and not exactly meant to be stuck directly on manual focus EF lens

I find it very difficult to MF for close up objects that's y bought the AF chip. AF chip is accurate for close up, great! but not really needed for landscape as i mentioned earlier :)

i ordered mine from Tagotech, the latest dandalion AF chip. They have a piece of plastic to guide you on where to stick the AF chip, but u need to stick a thin plastic/cardboard below the chip to "raise" the height of the AF chip for it to work with our DSLRs. Think the chip was made for those EF mount adaptors and not exactly meant to be stuck directly on manual focus EF lens

I find it very difficult to MF for close up objects that's y bought the AF chip. AF chip is accurate for close up, great! but not really needed for landscape as i mentioned earlier :)

because for landscape, 14mm at f/8.0, focusing is at infinity so there isn't a big problem.

yup, AF chip useful for focusing in lowlight at F2.8.

good also for information, at least the EXIF will show 14mm :p

I've got both the 8mm Fisheye and the 14 f2.8...I love them both...I use them on my DX nikons and my FF 5d (with adptr of course) Also the 8mm FE works great on my Oly M4/3 cameras as well....I am planning to get the 85mm 1.4 soon, and when their 35 f1.4 finally comes out I will purchase it as well...I love the 14m on my DX cams as it's angle of view (on DX) is like a 20m which is one of my favorite FF lenses...;)

Cheers

www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

I looked at the samples of the corners the 14mm Samyang produced ( wide open ) and it is so much better than my Sigma 12-24 ( stepped download :bheart: ) So tempted to get one for wide star field shooting overseas .. :lovegrin:

Maybe CS Tan can post some of the photos here since he is using a FF body.
Here are a couple of shots with 5D Mark II @ f/11

5287310162_f1a1e11119_b.jpg

Last edited:
I bought mine in HK and is around S$580. I think eBay has quite a few sellers selling the same lens at quite attractive price under different brands too.

I bought mine in HK and is around S$580. I think eBay has quite a few sellers selling the same lens at quite attractive price under different brands too.

I don't suggest that. As Samyang don't have a service centre in SG, it be difficult if something is wrong with the lens. I personally recommend Sgcamerastore, as they would offer their help to me if something is wrong with the lens, pls do see, Samyang is not the same as Canon. In HK, as long u buy one with I.Warranty, u r safe, but Samyang is different.

I am not suggesting everyone buy from HK. But, if you don't already know, I now live in HK so warranty claim is not a problem for me here. :)