Safe to bring DSLR when overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nyxx88 said:
In JKT, it really depends a lot on where you go.

A friend of mine lost his handphone (which is smaller than a DSLR) at knife point when he was using an overhead bridge to go to the Taman Anggerik Mall, which is already one of the more up-market places in JKT.

Of course, avoid public buses & trains. They are notorious.

When I started this thread, I was using JKT as an example as I was there for a short period of time. And I was trying to find out about other parts of the world. I must say that the various posts here have been helpful. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Exactly, they can be just anywhere, many of them actually do robbery for sideline (no joke ;p), such as taxi driver, the parking man and etc. Public transport is notorious for pickpocket.

Actually, though Mal Taman Anggerek is quite posh looking (if I am not wrong Suharto's wife owned the place when she was alive, and thus is spared unscratched during the riot time, just fyi ;p), but it is located in residential area. But still, even if you are in downtown area, there is no guarantee.

Anywhere in the world is risky if you do not know how to take care of yourself. Anyway people have gone all over the world with a DSLR and most of them made it. Don't let that worry you too much. I've taken mine to most Asian countries as well as Europe. No worries there. Stop worrying, just shoot.

You should mummify your camera body and expensive lenses to make them unrecognizable.

jbma said:
Anywhere in the world is risky if you do not know how to take care of yourself. Anyway people have gone all over the world with a DSLR and most of them made it. Don't let that worry you too much. I've taken mine to most Asian countries as well as Europe. No worries there. Stop worrying, just shoot.

V0IGTLANDER said:
You should mummify your camera body and expensive lenses to make them unrecognizable.

I'm thinking of doing that as well, not only it is unrecognizable but it will also make your camera looks like an old and miserably repaired unworthy of being stolen. It may not help you resell the camera but bodies have low resale value due to fast technology and gadget inflation. I might start with the brand name and any shiny parts.

nyxx88 said:
In JKT, it really depends a lot on where you go.

A friend of mine lost his handphone (which is smaller than a DSLR) at knife point when he was using an overhead bridge to go to the Taman Anggerik Mall, which is already one of the more up-market places in JKT.

Of course, avoid public buses & trains. They are notorious.

When I started this thread, I was using JKT as an example as I was there for a short period of time. And I was trying to find out about other parts of the world. I must say that the various posts here have been helpful. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

well, if your friend is Indonesian, then DOOH ...
everyone knows it's not wise to use cell phone outside, especially at an overhead bridge... one look at the bridge (and its occupants) should warn your friend to not use the cell phone..
That's why I don't use Nokia or any other flashy cell phone...(also can't afford lah, money for lens only..)

I'm curious btw, is all S'pore safe ? I mean, can I bring DSLR everywhere in S'pore without worry getting mugged ?

karel said:
well, if your friend is Indonesian, then DOOH ...
everyone knows it's not wise to use cell phone outside, especially at an overhead bridge... one look at the bridge (and its occupants) should warn your friend to not use the cell phone..
That's why I don't use Nokia or any other flashy cell phone...(also can't afford lah, money for lens only..)

I'm curious btw, is all S'pore safe ? I mean, can I bring DSLR everywhere in S'pore without worry getting mugged ?

Safer than the other countries mentioned here but still not completely safe. I mean there is still bad apples (but very few) and bad foreigners (also very few) as well. So basically, you can walk around with full gear on your neck and not worry too much.

Hmm...I've been walking around in Jkt and shooting...feel pretty safe..but most of the time, i'm with a couple of other people....

One thing though, I used one of those hand grip instead of sling over my neck...makes it more secure(or at least i felt more secure... :dunno: ). Just be careful with ur stuff(as in anywhere u go), you should be quite safe...

i would be interested to know what types of bags would you use when you are travelling in "high risk" places...

i typically use a stealth reporter in countries like singapore, japan, australia, hk and even the US without blacking out any words and i feel very safe. but when i am travelling to riskier places, i would want to keep my camera accesible but yet not appear to be a target... the choices are

a) use a backpack - pros > good for carrying a lot of/heavy stuff, cons - defintely not accessible and people can pick stuff /cut your bag from the back and you will be unsighted. if you carry it the other way around i.e. in the front, i feel that i definitely look like i have something to protect in the bag...
b) use a shoulder bag - pros > good protection for your equip. (but only if you carry it in front of you). moderate accessibility for your camera, cons - can carry slightly less, can be damn heavy for your shoulder at times :p
c) use a belt holster - pros > good for accesibility and safety if carried from front. cons > can carry less and look a bit obvious that you have a camera.

any other options/opinions? i still think its advisable to go in a group since people can look out for each other but sometimes this is useless as pointed out, or not possible

Was wondering if anyone has bought or used these devices for their camera bags. http://www.pac-safe.com/

It's a lightweight, flexible, high-tensile stainless steel net system that creates a slash-proof protection around backpacks or camera bags. Think it can be very useful when camera bags are left alone for a while.

buddy said:
i would be interested to know what types of bags would you use when you are travelling in "high risk" places...

i typically use a stealth reporter in countries like singapore, japan, australia, hk and even the US without blacking out any words and i feel very safe. but when i am travelling to riskier places, i would want to keep my camera accesible but yet not appear to be a target... the choices are

a) use a backpack - pros > good for carrying a lot of/heavy stuff, cons - defintely not accessible and people can pick stuff /cut your bag from the back and you will be unsighted. if you carry it the other way around i.e. in the front, i feel that i definitely look like i have something to protect in the bag...
b) use a shoulder bag - pros > good protection for your equip. (but only if you carry it in front of you). moderate accessibility for your camera, cons - can carry slightly less, can be damn heavy for your shoulder at times :p
c) use a belt holster - pros > good for accesibility and safety if carried from front. cons > can carry less and look a bit obvious that you have a camera.

any other options/opinions? i still think its advisable to go in a group since people can look out for each other but sometimes this is useless as pointed out, or not possible

I'm using a Crumpler back pack and a stealth report...crumpler when i have to fly...and the stealth juz around indo itself...back in sg? juz my dueter backpack!! hee hee....

hi, someone i know actually bought one for her large backpack trip to vietnam where the train rides are long and bags are frequently left unattended. it can be chained to a support so that people cannot take the bag away.

her feedback was that it was rather cumbersome to use and does annouce to people that "yes i am something to steal inside". best advice is to keep a fanny pack or a smaller bag to hold your valuables e.g. passport, wallet etc when travelling. definitely not secure to put your camera in this and expect it to be safe.

While we're on this topic, what are some inconspicuous bags you've used to carry just your lenses? I feel that the Lowepro lens cases are just like advertising you've got lenses inside.

buddy said:
hi, someone i know actually bought one for her large backpack trip to vietnam where the train rides are long and bags are frequently left unattended. it can be chained to a support so that people cannot take the bag away.

Thanks Buddy for your reply, I think it's definitely useful for travellers who may need to leave their belongings unattended for a short period of time or even in hotel rooms. I dont think there is any way our belongings (backpacks or Lowepro camera bags) can blend with local belongings.

Yes, just like the question raised by Sausage, are there any inconspicuous camera bags for travelling? wrap up our cameras and lens, stuff them into our haversacks? hehe

Any more opinions from users using this PacSafe wiremesh http://www.pac-safe.com/ to protect their camera bags for travelling?

May be it is best to wrap our equipments in newspaper and put in gunny sack. ;p

Xing said:
buddy said:

Thanks Buddy for your reply, I think it's definitely useful for travellers who may need to leave their belongings unattended for a short period of time or even in hotel rooms. I dont think there is any way our belongings (backpacks or Lowepro camera bags) can blend with local belongings.

Yes, just like the question raised by Sausage, are there any inconspicuous camera bags for travelling? wrap up our cameras and lens, stuff them into our haversacks? hehe

Any more opinions from users using this PacSafe wiremesh http://www.pac-safe.com/ to protect their camera bags for travelling?

i bought a pac-safe wiremesh lock last year for my trip, but ended up not using it. now i just hope i can get rid of it.

i've seen many other backpackers on the trip, none of them used such lock. so i thought if i use it, it will make my backpack stands out from the rest, and draws the attention of the thieves.

another thing is that it's not really tamper-proof, with a little effort, the wiremesh can be opened with a small pair of plier or even a swiss army knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.