S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

cant look only at the disparity between $400 and $5,000. I think fault could lie with the client, too. What was the brief about? was it written down what was needed, outcomes of the shoot etc? Sometimes, ppl interpret things differently. To the amateur, he may only think it's about taking good pics with no relation to concept and execution (stated earlier by some bros), whereas the pro has the experience to quote for things he anticipate will be needed.
So, to me (with current avail knowledge), fault lies with the client for being foolish.

kinda hard to explain..... last time about 10 years ago, i shoot some for my own collection..... some bears in a old box....

I printed it and one day, a agency guy came to look for my colleague, and he saw the pictures. He told my colleague, a good try, not bad but final execution fails.

From there, i learn that not you can shoot means you can execute it for the final output. You need to understand the concept, client's expectation, how to make it to perfection.

It's like many people can shoot well example a room, nice lights etc, but execute it to make the picture perfect, placement of items, products, light source, mood and feel of the images...... the color, shadow placement, angle, perspective etc etc, a lot to learn and know.

this reminds me of an old comic strip (cant remember whether it's laofuzi or Lat). Guy walked into a barber shop. Took out a pic of elvis and showed it to the barber. Barber gave the thumbs up, no problemo. After the haircut was over, guy looked nowhere near Elvis. LOL

kinda hard to explain..... last time about 10 years ago, i shoot some for my own collection..... some bears in a old box....

I printed it and one day, a agency guy came to look for my colleague, and he saw the pictures. He told my colleague, a good try, not bad but final execution fails.

From there, i learn that not you can shoot means you can execute it for the final output. You need to understand the concept, client's expectation, how to make it to perfection.

It's like many people can shoot well example a room, nice lights etc, but execute it to make the picture perfect, placement of items, products, light source, mood and feel of the images...... the color, shadow placement, angle, perspective etc etc, a lot to learn and know.

Thanks. I get what you mean. In essence, that's the difference betwwen a guy with camera, an amateur and the ones making a living out of photography. Being aware of the situation you are in is just as important as being "technically and artistically" competent. When you work for a client, you've got to acknowledge that the decisions made during a shoot doe not solely rest on your whims and fancies.

I was telling a friend of mine over lunch just now. Photographs which my clients wanted are not always the ones I think are best(or good for the matter).

LOL... yes true to a point. In fact, because already stated $400 VS $5000, i believe many already think $400 work is rubbish. Maybe the $400 guy did a great job, but client expectation is different, not so bad pictures but cannot execute to what the clients wants.

Not saying $400 is correct price, but need to know which agency handles the job, as why they take such a risk? Unbelievable....

A good photographer should first and foremost be able to comprehend the client's requirements then translate the brief into his photographs. Mis-communication could have happened along the way but for a client to reject his work, I wouldn't consider that he did a great job. How his photos look like is not relevant.

this reminds me of an old comic strip (cant remember whether it's laofuzi or Lat). Guy walked into a barber shop. Took out a pic of elvis and showed it to the barber. Barber gave the thumbs up, no problemo. After the haircut was over, guy looked nowhere near Elvis. LOL

This one I remember, it's Lat :bsmilie:

It is an example of one photographer fail to meet the client expectation... (or over promise under deliver). I don't know the full details so can't take this any further.

Sometimes, people make mistake on their choice and some just don't see the point of spending more for some record shot, or whatever reason they think that doesn't justify the expenditure... it is not life and death... if the guy who charge $400 fail to meet expectation, well if the client decide to hire the one who charge $5k, then he end up paying $5400 and one lesson learn. This will probably a small price to pay to learn something about professional photographer.

Regards,

Hart

I just found out that a luxury property here got someone, an amateur, to shoot for them at $400 for a day. End of it all, none of the images can be used as the images do not fulfilled the client's immediate needs. Another quote from a pro for the same job was in the S$5K range.

The disparity is jarring, from $400 to $5000. Really, is this where we are heading?

how you know the $ range ?? Did you bid ?

Somehow i feel the photo biz section became an amateur bashing forum and bitching of how low people charge. Then after bashing, the talk about cost comes in saying how ignorant those "cheapo" photographers are. No?

I think that this kind of thread is not helping anyone. We already have all the information we need in other similar threads in the photo biz forum.

Furthermore, if the client is unhappy, then he should be the one to post this on the forum instead.

For example anyone can also post a thread call "Paid $4000. Engaged someone else at $1000 and got better photos instead" without anyone verifying it's authenticity.

Hope you know where am i coming from.

what the photographer charging is not what TS try to bring out if you read his post carefully.

from here, two issues highlighted and most people will fail to see it.

#1, Did the client hire this photographer just because his rate is very affordable without checking out his work?
if they did not, than probably hire a event photographer go and shoot interior (what is there to say anymore? blame yourself lar)
if they did check out his work before engaging him, than what kind of portfolio is he showing and why the client consider all the shot taken are unusable?

#2, Did the photographer did find out what the client is looking for before taking up this assignment? if yes, so he think this job is within his capability, than again, why the client consider all the shots taken are unusable?
did he try to do anything after the client is not please with outcome? (if he did, TS will be told a different story)

I don't see the failure is because he charge so cheap, but have not find out what the client wants before the shoot, and many members already pointed this out.

To the amateurs who attempted to take the job, it's might just seems to be a matter of pressing a shutter button and maybe an expensive camera and lens will take care of it. Read some articles from Bryan Peterson maybe. Chance of exposure and portfolio we all understand lah, it's Clubsnap mah.

It's what you don't know that killed you.

In this instance I see the client is more at fault. They invited these photographers but shut out the real people who can do the job.

Anyway, "You keep shooting!!" :)

"You keep shooting!!" that is what Bryan Peterson says.

here, people say, "I want to shoot everything!!"

If bring lightings .... S$400.00 PER ANGLE more like it ...
Camera on tripod only .... S$400.00 2 hours shoot possible ... (30 minutes per angle fastest)

Dont expect 2 hours to complete shooting everything as there's a lot of backend work preparing
each angle with props & shifting of furnitures or elimination of reflections.

Otherwise S$400.00 for whole day shoot ... :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: hahahhahahahahahah....

The client was probably inexperienced or just trying his luck.

Photographers are like prostitutes.
Both the $400 and $5,000 pros can make the client cum.
But maybe the client is complaining because the $400 prostitute did not offer value-add service?

Sorry... I am just joking.
It's hard to judge without seeing the job brief, deliverables required etc.

privileged information from within, can't say much more.

i wouldn't even call it a risk. Just foolishness.

Sheer foolishness indeed. There has to be a way of settling a proper scale of price...maybe a study that would help convince others...well actually that sounds like a bad idea.

I just found out that a luxury property here got someone, an amateur, to shoot for them at $400 for a day. End of it all, none of the images can be used as the images do not fulfilled the client's immediate needs. Another quote from a pro for the same job was in the S$5K range.

The disparity is jarring, from $400 to $5000. Really, is this where we are heading?

Actually, I see this incident as something good, thanx a lot for sharing it.

Sorry to sound so anti-amateur, but when a wannabe crash and burn, it bring awareness to clients, amateurs and pros alike, that it takes heavy effort to be in this business. The awareness is the good part. That effort could very well mean a full time career and its not playing fun.

Love amateurs photographers, these people are the ones with free expression of creative minds and art. But please, architectural gigs don't come easy to the architectural guys, its not like every weekend there's hundreds of weddings in town. So when you take away someone's job of the month, or even the quarter, ensure you better do a better job than the pro and charge no lesser.

Otherwise, please stick to shooting your esplanade, upload flickr, and call it 'architectural photography', nobody will mind or laugh. But this type of incident, sorry.

But maybe the client is complaining because the $400 prostitute did not offer value-add service?

you may be joking, but it's super low-class, in bad taste and insulting to the profession of photography and all the ladies who are professional photographers or advanced hobbyists in this forum

Agree, this is like flogging a dead horse to death.... Anyway, for all we know the luxury property may be uncertain & whimsical or just wanted some shots for assessment, to "see see" only. For such a company, $400 is but peanuts & its no big deal & can shoot again if needed. If they really wanted the photos for some urgent grand brochures, advertisement, display, I'm sure they know how to do it the right way with the $$$, proper brief, thru an agency etc. Dont think they are foolish "virgins" :) Its says here the images do not fullfil client's immediate needs, but perhaps they may be used for future needs later, even if for a limited purpose?

Somehow i feel the photo biz section became an amateur bashing forum and bitching of how low people charge. Then after bashing, the talk about cost comes in saying how ignorant those "cheapo" photographers are. No?

I think that this kind of thread is not helping anyone. We already have all the information we need in other similar threads in the photo biz forum.

Furthermore, if the client is unhappy, then he should be the one to post this on the forum instead.

For example anyone can also post a thread call "Paid $4000. Engaged someone else at $1000 and got better photos instead" without anyone verifying it's authenticity.

Hope you know where am i coming from.

Last edited:
Dead horse must flog. Just like floor dirty must sweep. And toilet must flush.

Uncouth.

sjackal said:
Indeed. IMHO the photobiz forum should focus on helping people build their photo business, which some guys here are doing though they are also getting bashed and accused.

So it's chaos here. Maybe if the photo biz section can be made accessible via application, it will reach the right people who needs it. And trouble stirrers can later be restricted out by the mods. JMHTC

That is if one wants to restrict out trouble stirrers. But if these trouble stirrers fulfill the personal agenda of some, then they can always survive here. While those defending the amateurs will be mocked.

Last edited: