[ Rumours ] New adaptor for better compatibility with 4/3 lenses on M4/3 bodies?

nissanmanic

Mar 13, 2010
Singapore (Ulu Pandan)
With reference to this "new patent" from olympus click here, and also reference to the Sony NEX5n which from here, has at the same time launched a new adaptor for PDAF with their native alpha line of lenses, could we (owners of both 4/3 and M4/3 system) finally marry the 2 systems with better AF-ing and not have to buy overlapping lenses for the 2 systems for the sake of a working AF system?

Also wondering how if that's the case, how would (likely) be the overall experience of using PDAF optimised lenses on M4/3 cameras. Exciting news to me, but I've only just got myself a MMF-1. :cry:

I use the panasonic MA-1 (which is equivalent to the MMF-1/MMF-2). The difference in the new rumoured adapter would be AF speed, which should offer native PDAF focusing speeds.. I'll be happy...

I will be very happy if this is true. the only thing that I now suffer in m4/3, is lack of good quality tele lens.
mounted Zuiko 50-200 on m4/3 body with MMF1, the AF take 2.5sec to 3 sec.

will certainly keep an eye on the new adaptor development.

Just confirming- is this actually a rumour, or just hoping based on what's been launched for the Sony?

well, according to 4/3 rumours, the patent is already out, it's a matter of is/when Olympus going to make something out of it.

This is good news for matchmaking high quality 4/3 lens with compact bodies of m4/3 that comes with cool features

i would buy back zuiko 50mm f2 and 50-200mm if this adaptor really work, with AF less than 1 sec.

Ah ok, thanks. Patents don't always translate to actual products. Especially since there are already so many adaptors for 4/3->m4/3. This would primarily be useful if Olympus basically decides it doesn't want to develop high-end native glass for M43. That's always a possibility, though.

Ah ok, thanks. Patents don't always translate to actual products. Especially since there are already so many adaptors for 4/3->m4/3. This would primarily be useful if Olympus basically decides it doesn't want to develop high-end native glass for M43. That's always a possibility, though.

you are bad. Pour me a bucket of cold water.

Haha. It's just that I see so many patents that don't translate to products or make their way to products only way later- new sensor, new shutter, etc.

But of course an adapter will be much easier to make and require much less marketing (it's basically an accessory). Might be a good idea to look at the ZD lenses now to invest before the new adapter comes out :)

i think there was a patent before for a PDAF converter similar to what Sony have. that came out even before Sony announced theirs, yet we never saw it released. maybe they decided to go another path. we'll see.

then I'll hold on to my 4/3 lenses for awhile longer.

Question, won't adding glass also add f? Like the EC14, it adds 1 stop to the f. Won't this add something?