Ruddy Kingfisher - (Halcyon coromanda)

wkcheah76

Jan 20, 2004
Tampines, Singapore
www.pbase.com
ISO 400, f/8, 0.6sec, +1.0EV, Canon 600mm IS, 1.4TC, Flash -2 & 1/3 EV

IMG_5680.jpg

The Ruddy Kingfisher (Halcyon coromanda) is a medium-sized tree kingfisher which is widely distributed in east and southeast Asia, ranging from South Korea and Japan in the north, south through the Philippines to the Sunda Islands, and west to China and India. It is migratory, with birds in the northern part of the range migrating as far south as Borneo during winter. Locally common in southern parts of its range, the Ruddy Kingfisher is rare in Japan, where it is highly sought after by birders. Ruddy Kingfishers inhabit forested areas from the temperate to tropical zones, often in thick jungles and rain forests.

Reaching approximately 25cm, the Ruddy Kingfisher has a very large, bright red bill and equally red legs. The body is rust red, generally deepening to purple at the tail. There is little sexual dimorphism though some sources state that male birds are somewhat brighter in plumage.

Like other kingfishers, Ruddy Kingfishers generally feed on fish, crustaceans, and large insects, though in areas with less running water, they are known to take frogs and other amphibians. Due to its preference for heavily forested areas, the kingfisher's high, descending call is more often heard than the bird itself is seen, and these birds generally travel singly or in pairs.

Extracted from :Ruddy Kingfisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excellent! Looks close! I had this fella in my hands the other day! Should have done a studio shoot before I let him go....:(

Hi Jon this fellow just got PR...
jw

Nice close-up shot. :)

Nice photo! You must have lots of years of experience in order to get such a nice pic!!! :D

Very nice photo....thanks for sharing.

Beautiful bird and nice shot :)

Last edited:
beautiful flashed KF

Sooo NiCE!! How many years to get these type of shots? I really wonder.....

Excellent shot.. Love the purple!

very nice colors. Great shot .

Fantastic

Beautiful shot wkcheah! :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice shot!