review the Q

To me its just a really nice looking camera with good OOC colors.
Too pricey for what it is.

i had a chance to hands on my fren's copy... controls REALLY takes some getting used to :confused:

i like the hybrid VF, but i really don't like how the buttons are placed.

On Steve's site, the GXR review attracted me a lot. The colors certainly blew the older NEX away.

i think u'll like it ;) the A12 modules are pretty good.

Yup, checked there and other forums. Thanks le petit prince.
Cause its a camera with a prime, not interchangeable.
Was wondering if it can replace my k5+fa31 setup when I dont feel like lugging around a dslr.

I'm also looking for a camera for the days I don't want to bring out my K7 + DA21 or FA43. Compact as this setup is, it is sometimes still a bit bulky. And not truly a go-everywhere-with-you one.

I think it depends on how big is 'big' and how important image quality is. I'm eyeing the Q -- because for me, the size and portability advantage >> the image quality (not that it's bad, but the larger sensors of the NEX, PEN and X100 definitely win in this aspect.)

Your preferences will vary.

so true. there is no right or wrong, expensive or cheap.
everything is relative.
regardless of price, sensor size and the specs etc....
it's the emotions one has with the camera that's the most important.

I'm also looking for a camera for the days I don't want to bring out my K7 + DA21 or FA43. Compact as this setup is, it is sometimes still a bit bulky. And not truly a go-everywhere-with-you one.

I think it depends on how big is 'big' and how important image quality is. I'm eyeing the Q -- because for me, the size and portability advantage >> the image quality (not that it's bad, but the larger sensors of the NEX, PEN and X100 definitely win in this aspect.)

Your preferences will vary.

Yup, at the end of the day, it boils down to self preference.
Basically its camera size vs sensor size. lol

Still prefer an apsc sized sensor, thus lookin at the x100 or the nex7.
Some like the Q but the lens still pops out, cant put in pocket so it depends how portable u want it to be as well.

Bro oyama85, is having a built-in viewfinder a must for you? Since you are looking at X100 or NEX 7, I assume its yes.

If I want to get a backup/walkabout camera to the K5 (interchangeable-lens system with an APS-C sensor), I will go for the Ricoh GXR as I really like the two A12 modules and the controls/customization of the camera. I have 2 friends who own it and the OOC colours are pretty amazing. 2nd choice will be the NEX 5N because of its high-iso capability (read that its comparable to K5) plus it is relatively cheap, and I will just use it with the 16mm F2.8 so that it will remain pocketable. U can then decide whether to get the EVF later.

The X100 is also a pretty good backup camera to the K5. I shot with the K5 for more than 6 months before I switched to the X100. The menu system is pretty clunky (definitely needs time to get used to) and it is definitely slow compared to the K5, M4/3 and even my S95 but the image quality can definitely hold its own against the K5. I only shoot very casually nowadays so the 35mm equivalent fixed lens is no problem for me.

The NEX 7 is a totally different beast though and I got the feeling it will become very popular for enthusiasts who want a smaller interchangeable system with good IQ.

Last edited:
funny u shld mentioned the gxr. i sold the whole system not too long ago. reason being i hardly carry them out due to its size.
yes. it's size ;p guess i'm just being plain lazy nowadays. it's a12 modules are fantastic and i really like the iq very much.
but to me, wats the point of a cam with great iq when i don hv them with me most of the time.
now, i just shoot with grd 3 and am seriously considering the q...
hv fun shooting ;p

Hey aaron80. You are exactly the kind of guy Im hoping to hear from, having K5 and the x100.
Built-in viewfinder is not a must have and I dont need interchangeable lens, otherwise I need to invest in yet another system.
Will fall back on my Pentax gears when needed.
Can see Im pretty much decided on the x100, just wanna hear what others say about it or the coming Nex7.

I love the quality of prime lenses, and 35mm sounds very fine to me.
Liking the x100 alot since its fuss free, if its the Nex series, will surely get the Carl Zeiss prime, which will be huge and $$$.
I tried the Nex3 with 16mm, its alright, but just dont feel right. The quality from the 18-55 feels better.
Another bro recommended the GXR too, haven really read up on that, only know the A12 is 33/50mm f2.5.

I've researched alot on the x100 though, theres just somethin bout it lol.
The EVF is more accurate then the OVF due to its design, if <1m need to on macro, and you cant just put a filter, u need the adapter or the lens will hit the filter.
Its a love or hate thing I guess, hows it for you so far? Are the quirks irritating u, or its of no issue?
Why did you get the x100 if you like the GXR's quality?

Anyway, sorry to the rest for OT-ing from the thread.

Last edited:
Ya the X100 is a love or hate camera. U will see as many negative users reviews as well the positive ones. I for one loves it for what it is, a nice-looking camera with a good viewfinder which produces good pics in the right hands. I guess I have the correct expectation of the camera. I have used prime lenses quite exclusively when I was on the K5 and KX, so I have no problems using the fixed 35mm. And I dun really need very fast autofocus as I take mainly casual pics of my wife. IMO its pretty fuss-free, I just carry it around in a small pouch with me on weekends to shoot.

The many quirks do irritate me from time to time but I have learned to live with them and work around them. I use the OVF most of the times as there is the parallax-correction feature in the latest firmware. I only use EVF when I want to shoot macro or upclose shots as the minimum focusing distance with the EVF is shorter. I bought the adapter ring and have a 49mm B+W Slim UV filter on it.

I like the GXR but in the end I chose the X100 for these reasons:

1) I am not keen to buy into an interchangeable lens system as I only shoot occasionally now and I have no desire to buy more lenses or change lenses. The 35mm F2.0 lens is more than enough for me.
2) Image quality of X100 is IMO very good and not inferior to the GXR.
3) ISO performance is very good as well, only slightly inferior to the K5
4) Hybrid viewfinder
5) As shallow as I might sound, I love the retro look of the X100!

Hey aaron80. You are exactly the kind of guy Im hoping to hear from, having K5 and the x100.
Built-in viewfinder is not a must have and I dont need interchangeable lens, otherwise I need to invest in yet another system.
Will fall back on my Pentax gears when needed.
Can see Im pretty much decided on the x100, just wanna hear what others say about it or the coming Nex7.

I love the quality of prime lenses, and 35mm sounds very fine to me.
Liking the x100 alot since its fuss free, if its the Nex series, will surely get the Carl Zeiss prime, which will be huge and $$$.
I tried the Nex3 with 16mm, its alright, but just dont feel right. The quality from the 18-55 feels better.
Another bro recommended the GXR too, haven really read up on that, only know the A12 is 33/50mm f2.5.

I've researched alot on the x100 though, theres just somethin bout it lol.
The EVF is more accurate then the OVF due to its design, if <1m need to on macro, and you cant just put a filter, u need the adapter or the lens will hit the filter.
Its a love or hate thing I guess, hows it for you so far? Are the quirks irritating u, or its of no issue?
Why did you get the x100 if you like the GXR's quality?

Anyway, sorry to the rest for OT-ing from the thread.

The X100 is too big ad expensive to offer a credible alternative as far as my needs are concerned. The X10 seems a better solution for me if I am looking at that category. I managed to see the Q yesterday at Challenger IMM but with a $999 price tag, I don't think it is priced to move. If only they are allowed to sell it at $888 like the usual shops. At least they place it at the main entrance which is an achievement in itself, since its not your regular N or C stuff. C has not introduced an exciting product in at least 5 years already so its pretty boring over there. The Nikon 1 series looks interesting and they likely will arrive at the same time as the Oly EPM. From a peer standby, uniqueness aside, I would think the Q's main competitors are Oly EPM1, Nikon J, Nex C3, Fuji X10 and Pany GF3. With the smallest sensor, Pentax's value proposition is that they can build an even smaller body which is not possible with cameras using APS-C and 4/3 sensors. Hence i foresee that the Q2 will come in a slimmer body and mated wth a pancake kit lens, it will truly replace the pnS as a pocketable grab-and-go setup with good quality images.

Thanks aaron80 for your detailed experience, your reasons for the x100 are really similar to mine, same for num5! lol
Really appreciate it, guess Im badly poisoned.
Ok I shall stop OT from the thread.

Airconvent, I agree the x100 is not a direct competitor to the Q with its size.
Q is cute and really looks like a toy to me, but the price is abit on the high side, just like the x100.
Sometimes its more of using your heart then brain for the purchase. Haha

To me there are 4 levels of gear from pns to huge big chunky DSLRS

pns --> Pentax Q -->EVIL series --> DSLR.

So EPL3, etc are not really direct competitors to Pentax Q, Q is meant for the audience who wants something in between, something really small yet can do more than pns.

So the direct competitior would be the Nikon V1 and J1.

If there is a reason to get one it would be because of size and also 5.5x crop factor which I can try mount my 300mm lens (with 1.4x tele) for some unique special birding.

But again the factor that is stopping me is 2 things: Price and more reviews on Nikon's counterpart.

Last edited:
I bought the EPL3 3 weeks back thinking that I would get over the Q....it's still in my mind everyday beckoning me to get the white Q.
Trying very hard to resist is an understatement

I bought the EPL3 3 weeks back thinking that I would get over the Q....it's still in my mind everyday beckoning me to get the white Q.
Trying very hard to resist is an understatement

Have to agree that Q has a strange 'attraction'.
Got the same problem as you, even though I have a very capable G3.
I keep check Q info and waiting for the price to drop. :)

nice :) simply goes to show that we're only limited by our imagination in adapting equipment to meet our needs.

i've been thinking about adapting a Q for macro - definitely much smaller than a DSLR with macro lens and the DOF from a small sensor may allow for interesting shots that are not technically possible on a DSLR without stacking.

i'm still stuck on the diopter calculations though... anyone knows how to calculate max magnification of the Q 01 prime when paired with a raynox?