Review of Sony Alpha NEX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the new Sony Nex 5k 3 weeks ago after reading all the favorable reviews on the web. Since then the camera has visited in Sony care twice. First there were dust specks in the lens. Now the camera cannot recognize the lens. It is now back at the service centre and I've beed refused a replacement of the lens by the customer support person. Their standard reply I am getting is that they will attempt to repair even though it is less than 1 month old. This is very poor support for a flagship camera from Sony. I am waiting to collect the camera and waiting to see what will be the next problem.

This will be the last Sony purchase from this customer.

Yup my sympathies goes to u. This is most unfortunate , but it happens to every brand i guess . Hope ur camera be fine when its back

I bought the new Sony Nex 5k 3 weeks ago after reading all the favorable reviews on the web. Since then the camera has visited in Sony care twice. First there were dust specks in the lens. Now the camera cannot recognize the lens. It is now back at the service centre and I've beed refused a replacement of the lens by the customer support person. Their standard reply I am getting is that they will attempt to repair even though it is less than 1 month old. This is very poor support for a flagship camera from Sony. I am waiting to collect the camera and waiting to see what will be the next problem.

If you visited them twice in 3weeks, even if it not within 7days, they need to change it. My goodness, its 3weeks. Not like you used it for 3months. Lens should be faulty in the first place. Go and whack Sony direct (not the hotline). Dont go service ctr. Svc center job is to service and repair. They cannot do any exchange. They do not entertain dissatisfied customers. just learnt this the hard way after being pushed around by them just two weeks ago. Remember, you need to be able to get the right dept/person. Dont get pushed around. Its your rights as a customer. Dont accept the "we fix it, its as good as new". They tried that on me.

With nex5 just selling and nex3 not even in shops yet. The last thing they need is bad publicity. Call them tomorrow. If they do not change it quickly. Then you should Blog it, stomp it, facebook it, etc. Share your Make Believe experience.

Sony SG do need to buck up in the customer service dept.

They ignore/bump my calls/emails few years ago, indirectly cheated me off my LCD tv wall bracket. But i try again with their products, but i suay. But this time round, i persisted and ensure i get to the right people. Just managed to get a 1-to-1 exchange earlier this week.

Dont go service ctr. Svc center job is to service and repair. They cannot do any exchange. They do not entertain dissatisfied customers.

Remember, you need to be able to get the right dept/person. .

Good advice...but in this case, what is the right dept/person?

No offense, actually sending a lens to the local service center because of dust specks is asking for trouble for nothing.

Unless the dust is HUGE and appear in your pics....

I just bought the emount adaptor from IMM

The dude says there is no warranty card.
Is this true?

same here, didn't get any warranty card for the adaptor... got mine from paragon

I remember when I purchased the headphone there is no warranty. Guess there is no warranty for accessories.

I just bought the emount adaptor from IMM

The dude says there is no warranty card.
Is this true?

Did you get the warranty card for the battery? The last time I purchased the Viao S$350 battery, it did not comes with warranty.

i purchased both the adaptor and the batt at the same time and i didnt get a warranty card for either...

without the warranty cards, i didnt have the reference number needed for adding it to mysony profile... guess have to make sure the receipt is kept in a safe place for warranty claims

I remember when I purchased the headphone there is no warranty. Guess there is no warranty for accessories.

I was told that headphones comes with 1 year warranty if it was purchased stand-alone. If it comes together with items (ie, the sony walkman you buy), the warranty is only 1/2 year. This from my experience as the earphone that came with my walkman spoilt after 1/2 year but less than 1 year and they said no warranty. Only told me if i purchased the earphone separately, it will come with 1 year warranty (+3 months online warranty). They = sony service centre personnel.

ps: i apologise for being off-topic.

Last edited:
i purchased both the adaptor and the batt at the same time and i didnt get a warranty card for either...

without the warranty cards, i didnt have the reference number needed for adding it to mysony profile... guess have to make sure the receipt is kept in a safe place for warranty claims

Make sure you remember where the receipt is kept. Same for me too...

I was told that headphones comes with 1 year warranty if it was purchased stand-alone. If it comes together with items (ie, the sony walkman you buy), the warranty is only 1/2 year. This from my experience as the earphone that came with my walkman spoilt after 1/2 year but less than 1 year and they said no warranty. Only told me if i purchased the earphone separately, it will come with 1 year warranty (+3 months online warranty). They = sony service centre personnel.

ps: i apologise for being off-topic.

I am not sure but I don't get the warranty cards for SONY headphone and batteries. Unable to register online for warranty. So need to keep the receipt for just in case.

Thanks guys, put my mind at ease ahah.a...

Adaptor is great! Hope they release some firmware that allows it to AF in the future

Hi all,

Newbie to photography and i just purchased the Silver Nex 5... :)

I am looking for a camera bag (Sling), any recommendation on the brand to get? Thanks!

i just bot the lowepro impulse 100 as i find the rest is either too small or too big. i find that the impulse 100 can allow me to put in another len.

hi, i have a LX3, may i knw the reason for the switch?

Hello, just got a nex 5 to replace my LX3!

Got a question, using the 16mm f/2.8 lens, i cant do close up shots. When i get quite close to a odject, it will just be blur. Unlike my LX3 which i can focus until quite close. Did i miss out anything??

hi, i have a LX3, may i knw the reason for the switch?

No matter how much performance you can squeeze from an LX3, ultimately, it is still a small sensor premium PnS. The Nex series on the other hand is is meant to provide DSLR quality photography in a PnS package using an APS-C size sensor. You don't need alot of aggressive and quality-degrading processing to yield low noise photos in dim lighting which is what the LX3 need to do.

:)

Thanks guys, put my mind at ease ahah.a...

Adaptor is great! Hope they release some firmware that allows it to AF in the future

firmware will not fix the AF problem. there is no autofocus motor on the adapter itself. When Sony 1st made the prototype adapter, it HAD autofocus. But the focusing was so slow, they decided to remove it from the final product.

firmware will not fix the AF problem. there is no autofocus motor on the adapter itself. When Sony 1st made the prototype adapter, it HAD autofocus. But the focusing was so slow, they decided to remove it from the final product.

how about for lens with internal motors like SAM ans SSM?

tq for the reply, had a chance to play with one at J8 this afternoon

No matter how much performance you can squeeze from an LX3, ultimately, it is still a small sensor premium PnS. The Nex series on the other hand is is meant to provide DSLR quality photography in a PnS package using an APS-C size sensor. You don't need alot of aggressive and quality-degrading processing to yield low noise photos in dim lighting which is what the LX3 need to do.

:)

there's no need for the adaptor to have a focus motor, since its original design was for the adaptor to AF with lenses that has build in motor (SAM and SSM).

Weeks before the official launch, there are reports by trial users of the NEX5 in dyxum forum that the adaptor even worked with Sigma's HSM lens motor.

Speculation was that the AF was disabled via release firmware (since its not likely for Sony to release another version of the adaptor, rather they probably disabled the AF function via firmware)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.