Reversing Ring (to connect EF-S 18-200mm (72mm dia) with reversed EF-S 18-55mm (58mm)

Xerith

Mar 15, 2009
Sorry I am noob at this. May I know whether there is such a thing as a Reversing Ring that can connect my 72mm diameter lens with a 58mm diameter lens in reverse?

If so, could anyone advise where I could find it in Singapore and at what price?

Thank you.

I'm not sure if they make reversing rings like that, but you could always use a normal reversing ring and then mount a step-up/step-down ring on it.

it'll be really dark

Yeah... actually at present, without the reversing ring, I can already see that most of the image is dark.... dunno how other people do it. I can only capture a very very small portion of the object (albeit in great detail).

Yeah... actually at present, without the reversing ring, I can already see that most of the image is dark.... dunno how other people do it. I can only capture a very very small portion of the object (albeit in great detail).

You want to do reverse lens macro photography ah?
You dont need to stack your 18-55 onto another lens la.
18-55 can achieve almost 4:1 closeup.

You will need a reverse mount adapter for canon. You can find it easily in eBay. The ring I'm holding is the reverse ring.
IMAG0009.jpg

A problem you will face is the lack of working area bcos the focused area for your subject will be very small (hard to explain, you will have to test it). 18-55 doesn't have a manual aperture ring... You will have to fix your aperture to about F5.6 and above first by mounting it correctly onto the body and press the aperture preview button, then remove it and mount it reversed onto the body.

I'm using my old Lens with manual aperture ring so I can change it when I'm shooting.
IMAG0010.jpg

This is what you want to get right? Extreme closeup the cheap way.
MG_5568.JPG

MG_5569.JPG

Or you can buy Raynox 250.

Last edited:

That is normal when mounting lens on lens. I guess the situation might be better if the reversed lens is a large aperture prime. for e.g., mount 50mm F1.2 in reverse might get a bigger "window".. It is also better result to mount a bigger dia lens in reverse to a smaller dia lens so that the dark region is lesser.

And, for the reversing adapter, they do have step-up/down type (doesn't make a different between up and down, it's the same ring). Should be around S$10..

Last edited:
It's not advisable to mount both lenses (as indicated by TS) together, mainly due to the weight of the 18-200IS lens, unless you want to lock it at 18mm.

It's not advisable to mount both lenses (as indicated by TS) together, mainly due to the weight of the 18-200IS lens, unless you want to lock it at 18mm.
It's the 18-55mm that gets reversed while the 18-200 is mounted in normal way. Since the kit lens is very light there shouldn't be any problem.

It's the 18-55mm that gets reversed while the 18-200 is mounted in normal way. Since the kit lens is very light there shouldn't be any problem.

Of course it can be done. But even with the 18-200 mounted the normal way, it still have to be locked at 18mm.

That is the reason why most reverse mount are done with light-weighed prime (eg: 50F1.8).

Very difficult stuff man... very difficult stuff....

Alot of things cannot be set normally... like Aperture of the reverse lens..... Best is to reverse a manual lens...

Very difficult stuff man... very difficult stuff....

Alot of things cannot be set normally... like Aperture of the reverse lens..... Best is to reverse a manual lens...

Agreed... unless the TS would like to lock the aperture and unlock the lens from the body when with the camera switched on.

Is it worth it the risk? :think:

This is inherited from the increase in magnification. Even the Macro Lens that are 1:1 have shallow DOFs. Right now we are playing with at least 3:1. Woh.... SO a smaller aperture is what ppl will use for this. Or some extreme they even do stitching to join multi-image of different DOF.

Agreed... unless the TS would like to lock the aperture and unlock the lens from the body when with the camera switched on.
Is it worth it the risk? :think:
Which risk?

To fix an aperture you have to un-mount your lens (18-55IS & 18-200IS) while the body is switched on. It may/or may not caused an issue. Do you want to take the risk?
There is none. I did it several times already. Also, similar to many others I never bothered about switching off the camera when changing lenses. The design of the lens mount is simple and safe: the pins delivering the power are the last ones being connected when mounting and the first ones being disconnected when unmounting the lens. That's the reason why this approach works: it requires power and a signal to return the aperture to wide open after taking the picture. By unmounting the lens with DOF button held the power is cut and the aperture blades stay in the selected position.
Let's not jinx ourselves or others by permanently talking about potential risks and issues.

There is none. I did it several times already. Also, similar to many others I never bothered about switching off the camera when changing lenses. The design of the lens mount is simple and safe: the pins delivering the power are the last ones being connected when mounting and the first ones being disconnected when unmounting the lens. That's the reason why this approach works: it requires power and a signal to return the aperture to wide open after taking the picture. By unmounting the lens with DOF button held the power is cut and the aperture blades stay in the selected position.
Let's not jinx ourselves or others by permanently talking about potential risks and issues.

To each own, I have heard people having problem having "jammed blade" while press the DOF button and un-mounting (without switching off). Granted it may not be the cause for all, however I take care of my investment by not doing that. But if someone can get away with it all the time... then by all means... :bsmilie:

Personally I still stand by that it's not advisable to reverse mount a 18-55IS on a 18-200IS. If require a similar effect can be obtain using easier using manual lens with a bigger aperture.