Recommended DSLR camera for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest getting a Entry Level DSLR first to familiarize your self then if you feel you really like it, be ready to be infected with BBB virus. :bsmilie:

No seriously Better get the cheap entry level DSLR first before you jump to more complicated stuff. You can get great shots even the though body is not that high end it's just needs patience and your dedication.

Oh BTW you can look at B&S section cuz you can get cheap mint condition cam in their from some Csers including me cuz im selling my cam right now. ;p

By the way, did you try a google search or a search here on the forum before asking such a basic question? If you replace your "r" with the correct spelling of "are", you'll get many many results that answer your question.

Edit : dang, I knew I shouldn't have bothered answering this one, so many replies why I'm typing :)

Haha. I've got a suggestion for people who are always very kind to reply questions that have been asked for countless times. Use a .doc file and type out standard replies. Like: What's uv filter for? What's bokeh? Which camera is the best?

Of course, the simplest, the most direct and the most versatile answer would be: Try Google. :bsmilie:

yes, the learning curve of film is slower, i agree totally. the facts of the DSLR clearly wins.
but, in film, it gives you an additional edge - shooting discipline.
by this i mean that it naturally forces you to be more focused on what you want before you fire the shutter. in digital, this may not be the case.

and yes, i recorded the damn EXIF on a notepad when i started in film 2yr ago. :)

Wow. I thought 2yrs ago, there were already dslrs available? N i presume you chose to learn photography thru film? Bravo!

Yes I totally agree on the idea of shooting discipline. I used to take crappy shots with prosumer, maybe until today I still do. Haha. The delete button is just to attractive. However it also brings advantages. You can test your exposure and try framing over and over again, to get the best shot. Best thing is, it won't cost you a cent, unlike buying rolls and rolls of film. Somehow it's also more environmentally friendly? :bsmilie: Well it comes at the expense of shooting discipline loh.

Glenn

understood thank you.
yes, googled, but alot of results. but all explain on UV stuffs..
so just asking if such stuff is really a need? :)

understood thank you.
yes, googled, but alot of results. but all explain on UV stuffs..
so just asking if such stuff is really a need? :)

Well uv filters are not expensive. You may want to buy them if you want to protect your lens from scratches etc. But some pros I know do not use any filter because they believe filters degrade the image quality.
UV filters also take away some bluish-purple cast. You can try with and without and see the difference. Frankly, I don't see significant differences, but I have it on my lens haha:bsmilie:

Oh yes, one more thing, filters(whichever kind) can allow you to do some tricks. You can smear some oil and take night shots. The lights will appear to radiate out from the source with beams. You won't want to do that on your lens. So it really depends on whether you filter or not.

I think for beginners should try out on SLRs cos you can really play and understand the camera before moving on to digital, where everything is 'fed' to you.

I think for beginners should try out on SLRs cos you can really play and understand the camera before moving on to digital, where everything is 'fed' to you.

I disagree - if someone really wants to learn, the person will learn whether shooting film or digital. And digital's immediate feedback means faster feedback and at a lower cost per shot.

I would like to know how everything is fed to the photographer when using digital though.

bought my Canon 450D about a month back from MSColor at $1,330 w/ kit lens, free guidebook, 4GB memory card and lcd protector. not a bad deal. Haven't had any regrets. Been enjoying every bit of it. :)

depth of field is something you will not be getting in most prosumers, just to note, and most (not all) pleasing portraits tend to have shallow depth of field

that said, ignore all the people pushing you particular models, work with something which feels good when you use it and try it out in the shops. be honest with yourself, heck care about brands.. because nowadays almost every brand has a decent selection due to introduction of third party lenses.. good pricing too.

night86mare is right. There are many cameras out there with better features and cost less than that so call 'better' camera. One features which I think is important is Image Stabliser. This is missing in the branded DSLR.

I m a newbie in the photography field, having only work as a photographer for only 3yrs.
I start off with a PnS, BUT really didn't learn much, My teacher only "force" my to take marco shots every day............

I start learning when i got my first DSLR, tt is Olympus E1......a cam of 2004.....dan heavy when i first use it, can't shoot for 1hrs non stop:sweatsm:

BUT things got better, alone the way for the nx 3yrs, i played with a numbers of DSLR, like 40D, S5pro, Mark 1,2 , D2h..... every cam have a soul of it's own.... when u use them, umust know their problem...... for many ppl here, u all should know the problem of 40D, lolx, a pain in tt place. D2H..... a lame cam, LOL. i mean lame in a good way.

personally, my advise for all new comer is get a "light weight" DSLR, tt is the most importent.
Weight play a "HEAVY" issue in DSLR. lol

u can shoot in "P"mode, no problem, u can still learn with "P" mode, in fact, all my photography student in my class i let them play with "P" mode first, to let them have a feel of things & to hook them to DSLR, once they got hook, i will make them play with "A" mode.

Personal i think Canon 400D or even 350D is gd enough for you 2 play first, a second hand one make more "cents" be cos LOTS of ppl buy this DSLR, use for 3-6mths, than sell away, due to "3Mins of love" lol.

Pick up on this cheap cam, n see how long can u walk in the DSLR path. 2nd hand 350D or 400D is dirt cheap lol.

I m a newbie in the photography field, having only work as a photographer for only 3yrs.
I start off with a PnS, BUT really didn't learn much, My teacher only "force" my to take marco shots every day............

I start learning when i got my first DSLR, tt is Olympus E1......a cam of 2004.....dan heavy when i first use it, can't shoot for 1hrs non stop:sweatsm:

BUT things got better, alone the way for the nx 3yrs, i played with a numbers of DSLR, like 40D, S5pro, Mark 1,2 , D2h..... every cam have a soul of it's own.... when u use them, umust know their problem...... for many ppl here, u all should know the problem of 40D, lolx, a pain in tt place. D2H..... a lame cam, LOL. i mean lame in a good way.

personally, my advise for all new comer is get a "light weight" DSLR, tt is the most importent.
Weight play a "HEAVY" issue in DSLR. lol

u can shoot in "P"mode, no problem, u can still learn with "P" mode, in fact, all my photography student in my class i let them play with "P" mode first, to let them have a feel of things & to hook them to DSLR, once they got hook, i will make them play with "A" mode.

Personal i think Canon 400D or even 350D is gd enough for you 2 play first, a second hand one make more "cents" be cos LOTS of ppl buy this DSLR, use for 3-6mths, than sell away, due to "3Mins of love" lol.

Pick up on this cheap cam, n see how long can u walk in the DSLR path. 2nd hand 350D or 400D is dirt cheap lol.

Best reply so far :thumbsup:

You cannot go wrong with any of the DSLRS its just about the system and every system has its own strengths and weaknesses. System like Canon, Nikon, Sony (KM), Pentax, Olympus etc. They are all great.

Get the Nikon's D60 with 18-55 VR lens or Pentax K200D Kit with its built in VR/SR or Canon's 450D or any other! You will feel a lot of difficulty in the beginning but as you get more and more into the camera you start to get better reults each time you click :)

Post processing is another thing you need to keep in mind! With the P&S digi cams the results directly out of the camera are great, punchy and dynamic but mostly DSLRS outputs are a bit neutral, so you may need to postprocess or change the camera internal settings to get punchy results right out of the box :angel:

Still what ever you get its up to you and how the camera feels in your hand, IQ wise all are great and you will not regret getting any of them...

Best regards,
Faisal.

Personally, i dun advise D60 or D40....lolx, be cos i hate them:think: is a personal thingy.

wat ever the case is, don't get a 40D as your first DSLR ok...... LOLX:sweatsm:

40D is a great DSLR.
BUT can the user make best use of it?
TT is up to the user lor.
for i believe, "entry lvl DSLR is there for a reason.
be cos to me, WEIGHT play a very "HEAVY" issue.

~just my point point of view~

I disagree - if someone really wants to learn, the person will learn whether shooting film or digital. And digital's immediate feedback means faster feedback and at a lower cost per shot.

I would like to know how everything is fed to the photographer when using digital though.

I agree with 'lennyl' and also challenge 'creepupmytee' to explain what is meant by 'everything is fed to the photographer when using digital'... particularly, why is this a bad thing?

think wat he mean is.
DSLR is use CF/SD cards, u instant see the photos u took.
low cost.

SLR, use film, ex, so will n make sure everything is nice b4 snapping.

really, is new age VS old sch thingy la.
Both got their own fans n views.

no point to walk the long route now.lol
BUT is gd 2 know n get the basic right.

Status
Not open for further replies.