Recommendations on telezoom lens

diver-hloc said:
TS goes hiking with the camera… don't think its safe or comfortable just hanging the camera on your neck or shoulder when hiking. :think:

But I agree… kind of strange to let the bag be one of the main deciding factor… :sweat:

I agree with u, that's not safe. But TS mentioned that she will carry a haversack when hiking.

So want to advise also dunno how. 

TO TS: U shouldn't be limited to what your bag can hold. If that's the case, you probably be better off with a PnS or Sony NEX 5 or even the samsung.

I carry my lowepro AW and another bag to work on weekdays. Sometimes I need to carry my laptop bag as well!

I tried the 70-200 f4 IS on the 550D again. This time I tried it with the battery grip and somehow i found my hand was more steady, the lens and the camera felt more balanced.
I also found this canon compact camera bag which fits the 550D with 70-200 f4 mounted on (when most of the partitions are removed), and there is still room for spare battery, etc. I will need to take another look at it again, to see if the protection is good enough...but it looks like the bag within bag problem can soon be solved !!! i like this lens and it feels pretty good with the battery grip. but my left arm does feel a little tired after awhile. perhaps i will get used to that the weight...
:)

well, being able to pack the camera bag within my own bag is important because i sometimes carry my camera to work or I like to walk around with my camera on the street, i dont really want to walk around with the camera bag on me.. Unless i am on a photoshooting trip, I will use a proper camera bag which can hold the cam, spare lens and accessories. well i know it still sound ridiculus to u guys but I am female, i still want to be able to carry my nice bags :p

Last edited:
I tried the 70-200 f4 IS on the 550D again. This time I tried it with the battery grip and somehow i found my hand was more steady, the lens and the camera felt more balanced.
I also found this canon compact camera bag which fits the 550D with 70-200 f4 mounted on (when most of the partitions are removed), and there is still room for spare battery, etc. I will need to take another look at it again, to see if the protection is good enough...but it looks like the bag within bag problem can soon be solved !!! i like this lens and it feels pretty good with the battery grip. but my left arm does feel a little tired after awhile. perhaps i will get used to that the weight...
:)

well, being able to pack the camera bag within my own bag is important because i sometimes carry my camera to work or I like to walk around with my camera on the street, i dont really want to walk around with the camera bag on me.. Unless i am on a photoshooting trip, I will use a proper camera bag which can hold the cam, spare lens and accessories. well i know it still sound ridiculus to u guys but I am female, i still want to be able to carry my nice bags :p
For the times that you are NOT on a "photoshooting trip", you should be carrying a good compact camera instead of your DSLR. Then you will not stress your shoulder and stretch your nice bags. For this purpose I recommend Canon S95. It has a nice bright lens, big sensor (for a compact) and great performance. My wife loves it, and sometimes I borrow it when I don't know if I will take pictures but want a camera "just in case".

I myself own a G12 and 40D+70-200 F4 IS. When going to work, i carry the G12 only. On days i go for my photo shooting, i bring my g12 and 70-200. For wide angle or normal photo taking, i use the G12, only when i need to shoot longer range then i will use my 70-200. I lazy to bring my wide angle lens so use G12 instead.

I bought the 70-200 f4 IS. Thanks all for your comments and advices !! :)

28-300L hands down for versatility, 100-400L also a good option

ManWearPants said:
That is a very good choice. It is a very good lens.

Ts, how much you paid for it and where you get from?

i keep hearing the 70-200
i own a 135 f2 will 70-200 f2.8 non-is beat the hell out off 135 f2 ??

and if u use it for in door 70-200 f4 is too dark rite?

The 17-40L is a great lens and a real bargain but a bit slow in low light condition. A telezoom like the 70 – 200 is a good idea if you have the use for it. In Singapore, well, it may be underutilized in the longer run. Are you sure u need one? I predict you will not use it very often and with 1900+ for the f4 IS (do not consider buying such a lens without IS, you will regret it and you will want to upgrade to IS soon) it’s a lot of money to carry around or to have it sitting in your dry-box. I suggest you think of a prime lens first, e.g. 50 1.4 or wider. That will add true value to your photography since it will allows you to shoot at low light conditions without flash and to cover the portrait range. It also makes a nice walk around lens (though it’s not that wide on a crop) if you like to take photos of your family or people in general.

Of course the 70-200 will allow portrait too (135 mm is still considered portrait focal length) but 1900 bucks...

Ok, why do I tell you this: well, I own the 17-40L and the 70-200 f4 IS and the 50 1.4 and an 1.4 extender. In fact in most situations the 50 1.4 sits on my 7D., the 17-40 is good for landscape but when it comes to have a sweet boket the 50 is the way to go. The zoom is used the least but I still have use for it as I do like to take pics of animals, vessels at various anchorages around Spore and the full moon (of course for the latter min. 700+ mm would be better but I am not prof enough to make that investment) and I travel Europe a lot thus have more use for it.

You may get one second hand but people in Sing generally have funny price ideas…

Cheers.

i oen a 135L i was think if the sharpness lose to 70-200 f2.8 MK1 alot ??
i also have a sigma 24mm f1.8 which plan to change to a 16-35L mk 1 when i have more money that is my plan for now.
that is my plan for now .

just thinking if i should change my 135 f2 to 70-200 mk1 if is sharper alot?
i am ok of using 135L on my 5d due to i have get use to it.

but if u ask me for a starter with no lens planning to get 1 lens only i will get 24-70L use it b4 is a very gd lens for a start out

I also have the 17-40 f4L. It's a great lens, I like the sharpness and contrast. Of course the 16-35 f2.8 would be even better but it's more expensive. I am loving my 70-200 f4IS. Looking forward to going to the zoo...

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a 70-200 f4 lens. Is it important to get the IS version as it is substantially more ex than the non-IS. Possible to compensate by increasing shutter speed under indoor conditions e.g. banquet halls?
The lens i have are tokina f2.8 11-16mm, Canon 24-70 f2.8L. I take mostly landscape, potraits and wedding day events.

Agree. If money does not matter, i go with IS versions. most of the time u will need the IS mode during low light.
I have tried canon 70-200 f2.8L Non IS. Its very sharp lens when the lights is sufficient on crop bodies only. On 5d2 should be no problems.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a 70-200 f4 lens. Is it important to get the IS version as it is substantially more ex than the non-IS. Possible to compensate by increasing shutter speed under indoor conditions e.g. banquet halls?
The lens i have are tokina f2.8 11-16mm, Canon 24-70 f2.8L. I take mostly landscape, potraits and wedding day events.

Hi,

Get the IS version, that extra money really worth it !

DDE now selling F4L IS at 1629! thru some market studies even though its grey sets.. the price seems comparable to second hand sets. wondering to get the grey or the second hands...

- "i wanna change to 17-55 anyone wanna buy tamron 17-50 ?"

TS… something have to give way, you are unlikely to have the best of everything, be it cost, image quality, convenience and even weight of the lens. And you'll have to decide which is more important and which is less… :think:

* EF 70-200mm f4 IS L = great IQ, some what lightweight (at least for me), high cost.

* EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS = above avg IQ, lightweight, low cost.

* Anything 18-XXX mm = avg-high IQ, midweight, mid-high cost, convenience.

Agree. On the last part, 18-XXX, I found EFS 18-200 good enough for an all in one.