Recommendations for Nikon kit lens replacement (broken lens)

checkmate007

Nov 24, 2013
Singapore
Hi, all

I am deciding which lens to buy for replacement of my 18-55mm VR.
(I have 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR, 35mm)

While out shooting, I accidentally screwed up my AF motor while taking off CPL by turning the front of the lens.
I was thinking about getting another lens soon enough anyway. :bsmilie:

I was thinking about the 18-105mm but I heard it is actually softer than 18-55mm.

What are some of the lenses you would recommend me for under $400-500 other than 16-85mm VR? (I don't mind second hand)
(I don't quite need the best lens but maybe something better than the 18-55mm VR)

Thanks,
checkmate007

Last edited:
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Do you mind explaining why you chose the lens? :)

I heard the AF for this lens isn't quite good compared to others of its kind (noise and speed)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tamron 17-50 is sharp and gives you the option of F2.8, so you can get a faster shutter speed in low light situations.

The non-VC version is slightly sharper than the VC version. Both versions are priced at an excellent value.

Under 400?
Tamron 17-55 f2.8
Non vc are all over the place and super cheap.

Have a bigger appetite ?
Sigma 18-35mm f1.8
Owned it. Sharp sharp sharp. Bokeh is awesome. F1.8 is awesome. Its like owning 3 primes in one zoom lens that doesn't even compromise on sharpness, bokeh and colours.

Tamrom 17-50 non-VC is by far, the most value-for-money standard zoom with fast constant aperture for Nikon DX cameras, from a photographic point of view. It has no VC amd AF is noisy, but these affects video more than photos.

Do you mind explaining why you chose the lens? :)
I heard the AF for this lens isn't quite good compared to others of its kind (noise and speed)
The AF is fine, I don't have any issues with it. Yes, it has a more noticeable noise than other lenses. But trust me, you can't hear it on the pictures ;)
The advantage is the sharpness, making this lens very useful when used wide open.

TS. If you are going to get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens, I would really recommend the VC version. Sure... lots of people had said that the VC version are not as sharp, etc. But frankly speaking, I find that difference really minimal, my good friend had the non-VC version and my ex-girlfriend had the VC version, I used both and find that the difference are not really that significant however the VC do help tremendously.

Thanks all, I will just have to decide between the VC and non-VC now.
The choice is rather hard since people seem to have clearly contrasting opinions on this matter. Hmm.

Just wondering, how do you distinguish a 17-50mm with BIM from one without it?

I wonder if the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS can fit your budget? Can't be sure of the prices..

I wonder if the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS can fit your budget? Can't be sure of the prices..

I have considered the lens too.
It sells for about $600 on Techno Gadgets so should be able to fit in my budget if I get used lens.

But here comes the "need vs want" dilemma too.

Last edited:
I was a former user of the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC version.

I found the lens to be sharp, sufficiently light, and value for money.

However, I was pretty impressed by the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS in my limited use, and found it sharper, superior in focusing, just as light, and comes with OS!