Recommendations for a new Big LCD Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
tink those with a rotating screen would be good when it comes to doing portraits and landscapes.

Firefox said:
LCD's don't suffer from burn-in unlike CRT's and plasmas. Since the poster didn't specify whether she/ he is using crt's or lcd's, it'd be safe to assume that she/ he has the former.

Ok, thanks alot

user12343 said:
tink those with a rotating screen would be good when it comes to doing portraits and landscapes.

The Dell one i use can rotate :D

Get the Dell 24" and get blown away by the desktop area.
Everything's good. Colours, contrast, movies.

Me using model 2405.

Dell has return policy too,at a minimal cost relatively, if you find your set unsatisfactory.

Have you tried the Dell 2405 for movies using the video connectors, instead of playing from the PC. Is this any good ?

Basically wondering if the monitor can be used as a TV also ? (understand it does not hv a tuner, but thats not a problem with cable tv)

Firefox said:
LCD's don't suffer from burn-in unlike CRT's and plasmas. Since the poster didn't specify whether she/ he is using crt's or lcd's, it'd be safe to assume that she/ he has the former.

I think they do suffer from burn in. Some of my customer's LCD has burned marks from displaying static images 24,7.

Just ordered the 2007FPW- it's using the same panel as Apple's 20 inch and is essentially an S-IPS screen. Was agonizing over this or the 24 inch, but i decided on the former instead. Apparently the 2407 utilizes a PVA screen which cannot equal the quality of S-IPS screens.

silvergetz said:
I think they do suffer from burn in. Some of my customer's LCD has burned marks from displaying static images 24,7.

The technology behind LCD's is such that you don't get burnt-in effect like CRT's. There's no phosphur in it. The image is created by blocking/ reflecting light via rotating crystals (hence, liquid crystal display). What might have happened in your customer's case could be some kinda 'yellowing' of the front plastic panel if you know what I mean.

vince123123 said:
Hi guys,

I'm currently considering getting a new big LCD screen. At lesat 19 inches.

There's somewhat a wide selection available, and even within the same brand and same size, there are lots of choices available.

To assist in the discussion, here are my requirements:

1. Main use is in normal office related work, and also lots of Photoshop, Image Browsing etc. Hence, picture quality is the primary concern - colour/sharpness etc.

2. Almost never play games - hence fast response time is not necessary - however, how slow can I go?

3. Normal aspect ratio preferred to wide screen ratio. For the same inch size, normal aspect gives more pixels and is more suitable for the work that I do - mostly portrait oriented documents and photographs.

4. Currently eyeing the Dell 24 inch - yes I know its a wide screen, but it seems to be good.....but is the response time of 16ms too slow? Even consumer level ones seem to have 8ms as a norm...

5. Most of the LCDs today have specifications on brightness (in cd/m2), contrast ratio (xxx:1) and response time (x Ms) What are the minimum requirements to satisfy the main use in (1)?

6. Have been using Samsung in the past -they seem to be good. But I'm also attracted to Phillips perfect panel policy on allowing exchanges even for 1 dead pixel.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you take a look at the Viewsonic VP 2030b - it's selling for around $1099. The 2130 is selling for about $700 more. Not worth the inch more for the price if you ask me.

Had a good look at their VX2025 for a while and, whilst I think it's a superb home-user, general purpose monitor which is unbeatable at its price, for more critical Photoshop work (on a low-end LCD), it's just unacceptable IMO: the antiglare screen has too many artifacts that can obscure some fine detail, and it can give a fairly misleading image with regards to picture noise because of these artifacts on the antiglare screen.

Of course it depends on how fussy you are as well.

Hello Kahheng, thanks for your recommendations.

I'll check out the 2030b.

I didn't consider the VX2025 very seriously partially also because its a wide screen format, for which I have little use for.

kahheng said:
I suggest you take a look at the Viewsonic VP 2030b - it's selling for around $1099. The 2130 is selling for about $700 more. Not worth the inch more for the price if you ask me.

Had a good look at their VX2025 for a while and, whilst I think it's a superb home-user, general purpose monitor which is unbeatable at its price, for more critical Photoshop work (on a low-end LCD), it's just unacceptable IMO: the antiglare screen has too many artifacts that can obscure some fine detail, and it can give a fairly misleading image with regards to picture noise because of these artifacts on the antiglare screen.

kahheng said:

I thought it was my own problem when I notice the antiglare screen's artifacts :sweat: , which put me off from buying at PC show. Dell 20" looks better to me during the show, I think partially due to VS staff don't know well in setting up their LCD for demo.

zcf said:
I thought it was my own problem when I notice the antiglare screen's artifacts :sweat: , which put me off from buying at PC show. Dell 20" looks better to me during the show, I think partially due to VS staff don't know well in setting up their LCD for demo.

It's a partially documented 'problem'. At least one review on Amazon.com mentions this.

Pity, I actually like the monitor very much (might be because it was selling at $630+) except for this (for me) critical problem.

I suggest people look at it themselves and decide. It might not bug everyone the same way.

vince123123 said:
Hello Kahheng, thanks for your recommendations.

I'll check out the 2030b.

I didn't consider the VX2025 very seriously partially also because its a wide screen format, for which I have little use for.

AFAIK, the 2030b and the 2130b are pretty elusive in terms of demo sets. I haven't checked out Funan, but if you go to SLS, no shops display it though one or two keep sets for sale.

I have asked the Viewsonic people where to buy one, and they directed me to the Ultimate Laptop shop which is on the 5th floor. That's where I got quoted $1099 for the 2030b, haven't bargain yet. Some people tell me it's retail price is closer to $999 FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.