Recommendation for Air-Con?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For most HDB houses even 5 rooms->3 bedrooms (the new 5rm are sooo small) don't need 2 compressor units. Unless you are going to a/c the whole house.

I think you might be confused with the split system where it is like "2 smaller compressors" housed in 1 unit. The theory behind is that it saves power by turning on only "half" the compressor if only 1 room turns on the aircon and goes full power when all rooms turn on the air-con.

edit: wow.. even have air con forum.. i wonder what other forums can there be.. :think:

Ah ok, so am I right to assume that based on my usage patterns, 1 compressor is good enough? :)

some feedback on mitsubishi. make sure the outlet pipe is cleared during servicing. if not will have backflow problems and water will drip from the split unit. i had problems with 2 of my units until the service chap cleared the pipe. not sure if this happens to other brands though.

Just installed a Mitsubishi Starmex inverter system 3. Runs very silently. Havent check the reduction in electricity bill to check how significant.

My old system is a National sys 3 with 2 compressors which I used for 8 years.

yanyewkay is right about the 2 compressor thingie. But if I am not mistaken, inverter systems have only 1 compressor? Maybe the sys 4 have 2? The system will regulate the compressor motor so that it runs constant. Unlike the non-inverters which draws a high current to cool the room down to the required temperature and then cuts out.

I noticed that it takes a slightly longer time to cool down the room.

The matching of the compressors to the blowers is by the manufacturer. Also need to know the max amps for your air-con socket.

Since you mentioned that you live in a place that has alot of dust due to ongoing works, you might want to relocate your condensing unit AWAY from the dust as much as possible or you might risk the unit burning up if the fins behind the unit are clogged. Else, you need to also do servicing to the outdoor unit at the same time when your fancoils are due for maintenance.

Service for fancoils need to be done every 6mths if your daily usage is high. Chemical cleaning to be done every 1 year i think ... can't remember. Servicing of the unit should include the clearing of the outlet pipe as moss grows within the pipe. The service guy should stick a vacuum into the outlet of the pipe to suck out whatever contents that are clogged up in there.

Also whether you get the full power potential of the inverter system is also due to amphere your plug point offers. Lower amphere means the condensing unit will have problems going up to its peak performance and you'll be under utilising the system which also means, each room will run at a lower BTU than rated when required to.

Feinwerkbau said:
Jason, have a look here: http://p2.forumforfree.com/1-vt2-singaporeaircon.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Dedicated SG aircon forum!!!

The person in charge really seems to be very, very well informed, and goes to great details about what to look out for, and what to avoid.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS!

Thanks! I have sent the person in charge an email. Waiting for his reply :)

I paid about $2.7k+ for the system 3. Includes a stainless steel bracket.

The normal package is about $2.5k with a model 10 + 10 + 10 blower. I changed the master bedroom unit to a model 13 blower bcos the master b/room is bigger.

If you are able to lay your hands on the Mitsubishi catalog, you can see the specs for the sys 3 and 4 output with the different blowers and ampere ratings. As mentioned by deathangel, a lower amp only means under-utilise.

If you are handy, you can use a bicycle pump to blow your drain pipes to unclog it. This is due to the slime that accumulates in the flexible pipe.

Jason Ho said:
I am looking to purchase a 4 split-units Aircon system. I was looking around and I basically zoom down to Daikin, LG, Misubishi.

I plan to install aircon for all my rooms (master bedroom, 2 bedrooms and a study) and my aircon usage each day is high. I heard different things like Inverter and Non-Inverter. And either 1 compressor or 2 compressors. I am at a loss hehe

Appreciate any owner and user of the above 3 brands for your comments on the good and bad (installation, maintenance, energy cost savings, warranty and vendor support and price etc.. ) :)

Buy from Gain City. They sell cheaper than Best and HN.

Just an update

I was quoted
Mit System 4 Inverter - S$3750
Daikin System 4 Inverter - S$3650

These prices include AirCon plus Installation plus pipeline plus cabling. Are those prices too expensive? :p

I would not recommend Mits as there replacements are quite high. I recommend National/Panasonic, they are durable and replacements are low.

Jason Ho said:
Just an update

I was quoted
Mit System 4 Inverter - S$3750
Daikin System 4 Inverter - S$3650

These prices include AirCon plus Installation plus pipeline plus cabling. Are those prices too expensive? :p

Wow is expensive man, i hear aircon price is up by 10%.

According to a friend who is in the air-con line, mostly of the Jap brands are quite reliable and u can't go wrong with any of them. Daikin is the best and the brand to avoid is Carrier, he recommended. Inverters may be consume less electricity but they are more costly to repair if it breaks down.

Hi, maybe you can go to www.singaporebrides.com (Forum, under HOME & DECO)
Detail reviews and feedback by other consumers on the various aircon.

Most popular and reliable brand:
Toshiba
Mitsubshi
Daikin

The savings for a invertor system is significant ONLY when you on the aircon for long hours everyday.
I just installed a toshiba sys 3 for 1.6K (Non-invertor) from ALLBEST AIR-CON in IMM and I STRONGLY ADVISE DO NOT TO GO THAT SHOP.
The sales and customer service attitude was very good BUT the workmanship of the technician was a complete nightmarish letdown

It begun after they 1st came down install the trunking for the aircon pipes.

They punched a hole in my masterbedroom to connect the pipes to the air-con compressor at the aircon latch.

instead of properly sealing up the hole they punched and covering the protruding pippings wif proper condules or trunking, THEY USED CEMENT AND LUMP IT ALL OVER THE PIPING TO COVER IT. FOR GOD SAKE, THE HOLE IS OUTSIDE MY AIR-CON LATCH and if not sealed properly it will leak when it rains!!!
F@@@ THEM. I didnt do a thorough notice it as i trusted them and thought they will do it nicely like the other contractors did for the other units

After doing a short 20mins test, everything seemed ok and they just rushed off after asking me to sign. Next day my painter called and told me there was patch of water on my Bakei flooring...
I call ALLBEST and complain. When the technician came down, he got the cheek to tell me its the fault of my renov contractors who forgot to close the window and it rained.

I angrily FORCED HIM to open up the aircon trunking and it was proven the water pipes was not properly connected that cuz the leaking. Furthermore, the hole they punched at the aircon latch was also leaking. FU@@@ng hell.

They were reluctant to patch up the hole at the air-con latch as it was troublesome. I ended up forcefully asked him to have the hole patchup properly and also lay trunking for the pipes outsides. VERY VERY ANGRY WIF "ALLBEST AIRCON " workship

I will post the unsightly pics of the hole tmrw.

Yes I visited that forum, and I called up one of the recommended shop Hong Tar (@IMM). They quoted me S$3350 including installation and trunking and pipe! wow! Big deal.

Anyone here heard of this shop before? :)

I have a Daikin system 3 with invertor, almost 6 years liao but hardly run 3 concurrently....1 of the fan coil in my study room recently conk liao with blinking light...donno why...haven't get it service :sweat:

It is quiet but vibrates like hell when in low speed because of the poor mounting workmanship by Hong Seng aircond :thumbsd: Electricity wise I agak it's about 20 cents per hour of operation for 1 fan coil....but recently seems like increased liao with the electricity price hike but i haven't find mood to do my own calculation yet :lovegrin:

While my parent home's 20 years old "General" still working solid and silent...nevermind no remote and digital temperature control......it still punches out solid cold air without fail :dunno:

Big Kahuna said:
I have a Daikin system 3 with invertor, almost 6 years liao but hardly run 3 concurrently....1 of the fan coil in my study room recently conk liao with blinking light...donno why...haven't get it service :sweat:

It is quiet but vibrates like hell when in low speed because of the poor mounting workmanship by Hong Seng aircond :thumbsd: Electricity wise I agak it's about 20 cents per hour of operation for 1 fan coil....but recently seems like increased liao with the electricity price hike but i haven't find mood to do my own calculation yet :lovegrin:

While my parent home's 20 years old "General" still working solid and silent...nevermind no remote and digital temperature control......it still punches out solid cold air without fail :dunno:

:bsmilie: ... another reason why i've been using fujitsu / general / fuji electric all these years. Their units really last. Currently, all my units are from fujitsu.

My recent unit has been installed by Gain City. Although their prices maybe slightly expensive, they use good insulations and their installations have warranty of 1 year where most installers do not dare offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.