Recommend me a good affortable Circular polarizer for K-x kit lens

A prime lens will normally have a UV/skylight filter to protect your investment. No one will put a CPL filter permanently on a lens. . .

CPL filters block out the blue rays and reflections when you shoot at water scenes

All my lenses have a UV filter to protect them. I only use a CPL for special scenes.

Hi super noob here. Why do you need a UV filter? Other than protecting the lens from scratches, is it prolong exposure to uv will damage the lens? And i read that it is recommended to put it on at all time?

should i buy a cpl filter for 18-55 or 55-300 ?

guys.....i suggest you go google abt uv n cpl.....tons of info out there. ;)

cpl is not to be put on yr lenses 24/7. if the diameter is the same, one would do.
uv does not protect yr lenses from uv damage. uv can be put on all the time to protect yr lenses.

Hi super noob here. Why do you need a UV filter? Other than protecting the lens from scratches, is it prolong exposure to uv will damage the lens? And i read that it is recommended to put it on at all time?

With modern lenses, UV filter is just to protect the front element from being scratched badly. Best to leave it there.

For CPL, it is a totally different usage.

To know more, go google them . . .

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

For a cheap lens like the kit lens with not much resale value anyway, it doesn't make sense to put a UV filter on it to protect it from scratches. To avoid significant image degradation you need a good UV filter which will cost upwards of $30 for a 52mm diameter filter.

If you clean your lenses minimally and use a good rigid lens hood, you'll be quite safe from getting scratches on the lens. I remember in another thread, it was recommended to get a lens hood first before the UV filter since the lens hood protects from impacts and accidental touching of the lens, while improving image quality.

I've never used a CPL filter so it's definitely not a must. YMMV however.

i just got a cpl filter. used it to test out a few shots of our blue blue sky. i cant tell the diff with n without it. dunno if it's me or the filter.

now thinking if it's another of my impluse buying.....

:dunno: :dunno:

i just got a cpl filter. used it to test out a few shots of our blue blue sky. i cant tell the diff with n without it. dunno if it's me or the filter.

It u take landscape with blue sky it does make some different...Check the shots taken by CorneliusK in the May outing thread,,,u see wat i mean..;)

DO you know how the CPL filter works ??

You must turn it to get the correct polarisation then you can get bluer skies :sweatsm:

Cpl's can also be used to cut out the reflection from glass or other reflective surfaces .

Cpl's block out light depending on its direction thats why you have to turn the filter to the "correct" position to get the desired results ...

Knows how cpl is supposed to work....
But I somehow just cannot see the diff. Maybe I need to test it out a few more times in the field.

Maybe by then the blue will be more blue....haha~ :bsmilie:

Some shots showing minimum and maximum CPL effect

One very easy way to see the CPL effect is to look for a glass surface with a strong reflection, e.g. a window or a car windscreen. With the CPL on the lens, as a certain angle, the reflection will completely disappear, and the glass will appear to suddenly become transparent. Its like bloody magic.

This because glass will polarize light reflecting off it but will not polarize light going through it. So the CPL will block the polarized reflected light but not the light shining through it.

Light from certain angles of the sky will be strongly polarized, so CPL will be more effective. Usually CPL is nearly useless when pointing towards the sun, and most effective when pointing at a 90 degree angle from the sun. (please don't ask me to explain the full theory behind this, I only understand the general idea lolol)

Have to use trial and error to find the best angle, it doesn't always work all the time!

how much you buy it???

anyway i have try my cheap cheap one at a pond of fish... it works...:think:

There is a ring in front of the filter that you need to turn to get the effect that you want. Try it. You will begin to see the light . . . . kekeke

thanks for all the advice, everyone....appreciate it~~

i must say i am not a person who is into finer details....so i may need some more time to play around with the CPL to be able to spot the diff. btw, mine is a marumi bought from ebay.

tat day when i got it....i wa playing with it at the balcony....shooting at the skies.....turning it around to get a feel of how it works....after which i took a blind test to see if could differentiate the ones taken with the CPL filter......n i couldn't tell them apart. :embrass:

wil try water and the blue blue skies again this weekend if i can....:)

i must say i am not a person who is into finer details....so i may need some more time to play around with the CPL to be able to spot the diff. btw, mine is a marumi bought from ebay.

tat day when i got it....i wa playing with it at the balcony....shooting at the skies.....turning it around to get a feel of how it works....after which i took a blind test to see if could differentiate the ones taken with the CPL filter......n i couldn't tell them apart. :embrass:

For water, with the CPL correctly turned, you can "see thru" the water.

For sky, corectly turned the sky is nicer to look at not that "bright" . . .

I am comtemplating in getting a Marumi one from ebay as well, did you get the DHC or the normal one? Saw that it's selling at $29 for the normal cpl 49mm.

Got the itch to spend again...............

For water, with the CPL correctly turned, you can "see thru" the water.

For sky, corectly turned the sky is nicer to look at not that "bright" . . .

got it. these r good tips! see thru and not so bright.
wish i could see thru other stuff with this filter......wahahaha~~~~ :sweatsm:

I am comtemplating in getting a Marumi one from ebay as well, did you get the DHC or the normal one? Saw that it's selling at $29 for the normal cpl 49mm.

Got the itch to spend again...............

i got the DHC version. my tots were since already gonna spend money liao so might as well get a better one so that i wont be so kuku to push the blame to the filter if it does not work out well. now it seems like i need to change eyes liao....:embrass: