Rechargeable batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all

Thanks for all the info :) are these rechargeables longer lasting than Energiser Alkaline batteries when used in flashes also ? if so, by how much ?

Originally posted by victor
hi all

Thanks for all the info :) are these rechargeables longer lasting than Energiser Alkaline batteries when used in flashes also ? if so, by how much ?

If I'm not mistaken, alkaline batteries might let you take more flashes, but the recycle time will be much longer then NiMh batteries. :)

Originally posted by togu

If I'm not mistaken, alkaline batteries might let you take more flashes, but the recycle time will be much longer then NiMh batteries. :)

Shouldn't be. In high energy drain devices, it is proven that NiMH will last at least twice as long as the longest lasting alkaline cells. The reason is because the chemistry of alkaline cells is such that it will break down rapidly when subjected to high energy drain. But the recycle time for the alkaline cell may be faster during the start of its battery life due to the higher voltage....

Originally posted by DarkRay

Cool! From where and how much har? :D

arr...just got 3 sets of Sanyo 1850 from Mustafa last nite. saw them selling the 2100 at $16 / set last nite :D worried tho that my charger wun max the charge so i bought the smaller capacity 1850... :D

Originally posted by DarkRay

Shouldn't be. In high energy drain devices, it is proven that NiMH will last at least twice as long as the longest lasting alkaline cells. The reason is because the chemistry of alkaline cells is such that it will break down rapidly when subjected to high energy drain. But the recycle time for the alkaline cell may be faster during the start of its battery life due to the higher voltage....

Hrm, I do agree that NiMH is more suitable for high energy drained devices, and has a longer life span then akaline batteries. But for flash unit, isn't it true that NiMH will have less flashes cos of the faster recycle time, when compared with Akaline batteries, till both types of batts totally drained off?

Getting confused about this. Read in most flash unit manuals that NiMH will have less flashes. Just to quote one example :

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Html/news/500dg_super.htm

Number of flashes:
Approx. 220 flashes (when using alkaline batteries)
Approx. 100 flashes (when using 4x NiMH batteries)

:confused: ...lost....

Originally posted by togu

Hrm, I do agree that NiMH is more suitable for high energy drained devices, and has a longer life span then akaline batteries. But for flash unit, isn't it true that NiMH will have less flashes cos of the faster recycle time, when compared with Akaline batteries, till both types of batts totally drained off?

Getting confused about this. Read in most flash unit manuals that NiMH will have less flashes. Just to quote one example :

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Html/news/500dg_super.htm

Number of flashes:
Approx. 220 flashes (when using alkaline batteries)
Approx. 100 flashes (when using 4x NiMH batteries)

:confused: ...lost....

Certainly interesting! Maybe it's because:

Pure flash units are actually not considered "high energy drain" device or rather does not drain the batteries fast enough for the Alkaline batteries' internal chemistries to break down as when they are used in a digital camera. In a digital camera, energy is drained faster maybe due to the presence of the LCD?

alkaline maintain 1.5V mah, flashes are one-shot devices where speed is determined by the voltage drive, vs high constant drain devices like a DC motor.
NiMH lasts longer but charge slower, and some flashes might have a cut-off minimum voltage, so it feels like the nimh loses out.

Status
Not open for further replies.