Reasons for using "M" Mode

When u got the time to fiddle with the controls and u need a little more precision in fine tuning the parameters.

ryan

I am not that technical a person. I use manual mode because... it is more fun that way. I like to be in control.

Manual mode is useful in situations where you want the exposure to remain consistent from shot to shot.
For example, things like studio work, or light trails on roads/expressways, to name but a few.

That being said, nothing beats knowing well how each mode works/behaves, then choosing the mode which you think is appropriate to achieve the shot you're after.
No harm making use of the modern technology available if it can assist you.

I use manual if I need consistent exposure (e.g. Pano shots or nightscapes)

i use M mode because i wanted to have 100% control

I use M mode because I felt satisfaction in "crafting" the setting to achieve an image. Its fun playing with trial and error. Thats the fun I am looking for in photography~

I use M when I want exposures longer than 30s and when I shoot in a studio and have tuned everything to where I want it.

I use M mode only when i have time to set it up (pre wedding photo, group photo, modelling, landscape)
if in the event i normally use AV or P otherwise i'm gonna miss the moment

*just my experienced*

Manual mode, because i know i'm staying in a location where lighting does not change, and even lighting throughout the frames. Esp when i'm doing panaroma shots. Of course, the extra satisfaction that u know u're fully utilizing ur dslr :) But yeah, Aperture priority mode else if outside on walkabouts.

I'm a control freak so I have to use Master mode. :eek:

The right reason: because camera metering is not always going to tell you the right story and the brain is more adaptable than a simple processor in a camera telling it what to do.

The wrong reason (and more often than not, the primary one): can tell your friends you use M mode and wa so pro you can tell the camera what to do - when in actual fact, you are just turning wheels to get 0 EV based on camera metering. :rolleyes:

The right reason: because camera metering is not always going to tell you the right story and the brain is more adaptable than a simple processor in a camera telling it what to do.

The wrong reason (and more often than not, the primary one): can tell your friends you use M mode and wa so pro you can tell the camera what to do - when in actual fact, you are just turning wheels to get 0 EV based on camera metering. :rolleyes:
<--- ME!!

talk about camera metering..im the 1 who doesnt trust camera metering as well since my camera is really old...hahahaha
sorry oot

talk about camera metering..im the 1 who doesnt trust camera metering as well since my camera is really old...hahahaha
sorry oot

Then how do you aim to achieve a correct exposure in your first shot? Do you carry a light meter or do you 'hit and miss' by taking multiple shots?

i trust my eyes and my feeling..since i also dnt have LCD once i used film...hehe

I think those who are using film cameras over these years, they somehow from their experience know how much light was available and know wat settings to set.

Frankly speaking, it doesn't matter which mode you used as long as it achieved the effect you want. I used Av mode most of the time although sometimes i switched over to M.

same here. my most used mode is AV. In fact 90% of the time I am using it. I only use M mode when i need to do long exposure shots.