RE: Drinks brought into cinema....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wah, now coffee also catch! I guess gone are the days when i use to bring coconut and sushi into the cinemas.

we have classic examples of ugly singaporeans here.

it is well-known that the snacks and drinks are a huge percentage of profits in cinemas rather than the price of the tickets. that is why they do not allow food purchased from other places. they do state it clearly in their policies.

if you want to do so, no one's stopping you. But do not complain when you are found out and action has to be taken against you.

I always buy outside drinks to go into the cinema to drink, coz the cinema's one are super ex!!

I even bring in BK meals sometimes when I'm late for the shows... :embrass:

darkness said:
I always buy outside drinks to go into the cinema to drink, coz the cinema's one are super ex!!

:thumbsup:

there was this once my friend bought a pack of chicken rice to consume and furthermore he was seated at the first row.
now come to think of it,this have to be funny in my opinion.
for me personally i wouldn't do it.
btw that was long time ago,i think 1997.
maybe they were not so strict back then. :dunno:

darkness said:

It's expensive because, if you are the operator, your only customers are the ones who buy ticket to watch show.

Unlike the mac or BK who have customers walk-in from public.

Since your customer base is so restricted to the few hundreds or thousands who see show daily (and not all buy from you), and your rent is so darn expensive.
it is natural to raise the prices.

Just like a club charging $10 for coke but $6 for beer???!!!

The main pt is to encourage you to drink alcohol which is their MAIN source of revenue and not the cover charge.

Winston said:
It's expensive because, if you are the operator, your only customers are the ones who buy ticket to watch show.
Then it's a case of poor business sense on the cinema's part. They're dedicating resources (space need to install the popcorn stand, getting ushers to check for illegally brought in food instead of doing something more productive, etc) to a sector of your business with limited demand and which is time- and manpower-intensive. That's just goofy, and trying to make people buy the food thereafter is something that only generates negative impressions - ie possibly lowering return visits by the customers.

It strikes me that these resources could be better spent promoting their cinema, getting people to come, instead of trying to force people into some profit scheme with only marginal returns. It just makes sense, instead of making excuses to prevent customers from following their natural money-spending inclinations.

chaotic said:
we have classic examples of ugly singaporeans here.

it is well-known that the snacks and drinks are a huge percentage of profits in cinemas rather than the price of the tickets. that is why they do not allow food purchased from other places. they do state it clearly in their policies.

if you want to do so, no one's stopping you. But do not complain when you are found out and action has to be taken against you.

I think that you may have missed the point of the initial post, and so has some cinema operators.

While most of us would readily agree to the fact that we should not consume any to all types of food that we wish i.e. chicken rice, durians etc in cinemas, most of us do want to have the freedom buying similar foods at far lower prices from elsewhere, and consume them them in the cinema while watching the movie. eg a can of coke costs SGD1 at most at 7 eleven versus SGD1.5 at the cinema.

Also, If cinema operators become over zealous with the way they handle their customers, there is nothing wrong in us consumers hitting back by voicing our displeasure. Better still, communicate this bad experience to the public at large and let them decide for themselves what they want and ultimately which cinema operator to patronise. This is our basic right.

How the cinema handle their bottomline is none of our business, as it should rightfully be so.

Revo said:
Went for a movie last nite.....

din know that nowadays cinemas are so strict on the drinks u bring in.

Saw this couple drinking their starbuckies away happily seated, halfway thru kena asked to leave the cinema to throw away their drinks.

Barely 5 mins after their return, they were asked to leave the cinema n i overheard something like, "if u dun leave, we'll just have to stop the movie"

Is it so big an offence really to bring drinks thats not bought from the lousy cineplexes' drink stall?

Pls share if u know ..... cos i always bring in addtional tidbits from supermarkets....dun wanna ask to leave the cinema just like that..

I tot if u are seated within the cinema, should be ok liao, passed the barricades. But why, the ushers so bad as to chase them out and after throwng away, still threatened to leave? If it were me, i dun leave. I dun believe they will stop showing the movie.

but guys....

Imagine in the middle of a show, and the attendent showed up to ooze a stranger beside me, I would have walking up as well and demanded a full refund for disturbing my viewing pleasure!!

Hey ppl... think b4 u all continue screwing those cinema operators, I hope that you think in their shoes - the distributor draws a large percentage of the ticket sales from the cinema operators (I think it's something like 80% of the proceeds... tat's how they can spend hundreds of millions on a production). As such, for the operator to survive, they do have to seek other revenues such as selling food and drinks. Frankly, when u paid for your movie tix, u have already agreed to abide by that cinema's regulations as it's the cinema paying the rent of the place, not u. Thus, in their own territory, they can set the rules on ur conduct in watching the movies so as will benefit them.

In the cinemas, it is usually not tat strict as to search ur personal belongings. The ushers cant request to search ur bag unless he/she has valid reasons to do so - he/she saw that you have brought in outside food and tried to put them in ur bags. Tat is breaking cinema rules and logically, shldnt the cinema operator have every right to stop u? Den furthermore, you can choose NOT to eat while watching the movie - no one is forcing you to buy the food and drinks there but ur own self.

Well...regarding the thing abt being chased out of the cinema even after co-operating with the staff...I certainly think the couple have a case against the operator....if they had choose not to co-operate..then maybe they're at fault...but being chase out even after co-operating is ridiculous... :dunno:

sad to say..even if the couple decides to take up a case against the operator... their chances of winning might not even be high...try that in the states and the operator might have to compensate the couple a large sum..wat happen to consumer rights over here? are consumers actually being protected or are we shielding the retailers??

well... i also had very unhappy experiences at Tampines Mall GV.....the staff over there have very undesirable attitude and the way they request the bags been put into cardboard boxes...worse then the sergents during BMT... the staff make it sound like we own them something... come on, u request or instruct...not shout!!!...we have to pay to watch the movie.... :angry:

I personally CONDEM TM's GV
Cinema with poor seats, food as well as staff with !@#$%^&*( )attitude....
:nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.