Rates for architecture and sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, even if he charges, he'll need a willing client to pay that sum :bsmilie:

Dunno abt that... I do know of someone who wanted to engage him in aus... ended up shooting the house himself. On Gollings level, as i was told he has the luxury to choose his clients, he has been around for quite sometime and definitely recognised as one of the premium architectural photographers in his circle. Haven't seen much of his stuff recently until now......wow he has Gehry's and piano's work in his portfolio now.

Well, to answer the TS's question if its not too late.... you can go ahead and charge whatever you like even if its $25k. Just be prepared to be shown the way to the door.

Hahaha..I like that, maybe the backdoor sometimes. hahaha.. :bsmilie:

i think the $25K have been taken out of context.. From what I understand, waht ckuang meant was that it is possible to generate 25K out of 1 photo.

hey can you shoot this shot for us for in house use-$2000
a month later
hey we really like that shot, can we use if for a print ad in the newspaper- $2000
now the GM says we should use it on the web for the year- $1500
three months later
we were thinking of using it for our public brochure to sell our services in Singapore and Malaysia- $5000
another month later
can we renew all useage for one more year- 10500x2=21000
effectively, each time the customer pays only a portion of the $20K.

My understanding is like a charge (do you call it royalty?) to use the photo each time. The photo belongs to the photog, but each time the client wants to use it, he has to pay for each usage.

I believe it's something like stock photos. I have photos you want, if you want to use the photo, you must pay me $xxx and can only use for limited time from 10Apr07 to 9 Jun 07 and only for purpose of yyy, after which we will renegotiate another deal if you still interested in using it elsewhere.

I've read this is a very common practice in US. My dad was shocked when he wanted some photos for a brouchure off the net. He ended up getting it many times cheaper by getting a local photog to shoot it. What's more, the photo now belongs to him! :D That's how the local industry works!

i think the $25K have been taken out of context.. From what I understand, waht ckuang meant was that it is possible to generate 25K out of 1 photo.

My understanding is like a charge (do you call it royalty?) to use the photo each time. The photo belongs to the photog, but each time the client wants to use it, he has to pay for each usage.

I believe it's something like stock photos. I have photos you want, if you want to use the photo, you must pay me $xxx and can only use for limited time from 10Apr07 to 9 Jun 07 and only for purpose of yyy, after which we will renegotiate another deal if you still interested in using it elsewhere.

I've read this is a very common practice in US. My dad was shocked when he wanted some photos for a brouchure off the net. He ended up getting it many times cheaper by getting a local photog to shoot it. What's more, the photo now belongs to him! :D That's how the local industry works!

any chance your dad runs into paying $25k?

typical scenario

customer: hey can you shoot this shot for us?
ans: $2000 per picture for in house use
customer: no thanks

end of story.

need to be realistic, even the normal commercial architecture photography service in japan don't go anywhere near $25k/shot for perpetual rights

My dad was shocked when he wanted some photos for a brouchure off the net. He ended up getting it many times cheaper by getting a local photog to shoot it. What's more, the photo now belongs to him! :D That's how the local industry works!

I know, sad isn't it! No wonder so many people on clubsnap complain that it's so tough to make a living here as a photog.

Here's another reason why rights management is so important no matter what price you set as the top end

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=271796

I know, sad isn't it! No wonder so many people on clubsnap complain that it's so tough to make a living here as a photog.

Here's another reason why rights management is so important no matter what price you set as the top end

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=271796

i'm still waiting for your answer as to what kind of clientele you referring to for rates at $25k/shot

ckuang did say that perpetual rights and all, so i think he meant surrendering all the rights and such for a flat fee of S$25k/shot(refer to post no.2 on this thread. here u go.
quoted: "perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs")

it is not as if the rights is still the fotographer's and he has the right to charge for every print made after the initial sale and shoot.

it is tough in Singapore to make it as a fotographer. no one denies it.

mainly it is out of passion. :thumbsup:

it doesn't have to be tough you know, hey comeon, think about it, you can make $25k per picture, don't undercut yourself! but first, i need to know where to get these people to pay me the money so that i can change my line! i'm so excited i can't wait to get an answer :D

it doesn't have to be tough you know, hey comeon, think about it, you can make $25k per picture, don't undercut yourself! but first, i need to know where to get these people to pay me the money so that i can change my line! i'm so excited i can't wait to get an answer :D

shucks... the 25k eluded me..

any chance your dad runs into paying $25k?

typical scenario

customer: hey can you shoot this shot for us?
ans: $2000 per picture for in house use
customer: no thanks

end of story.

need to be realistic, even the normal commercial architecture photography service in japan don't go anywhere near $25k/shot for perpetual rights
he saw a photo on the net, he emailed and asked the owner,
dad: "hey this photo can use? I just wanna put as background in my brouchure"
owner: "can, where you want to use, and how you wanna use?"
dad: "in brouchure at XXX exhibition."
owner: "sure, 2k USD, unlimited prints and only for distribution in this show"
:bsmilie: you sure know how to joke. :bsmilie:

end up getting a photog to shoot a similar photo and the photo belongs to him now. (though the CD dunno go where liao) :bsmilie:

he saw a photo on the net, he emailed and asked the owner,
dad: "hey this photo can use? I just wanna put as background in my brouchure"
owner: "can, where you want to use, and how you wanna use?"
dad: "in brouchure at XXX exhibition."
owner: "sure, 2k USD, unlimited prints and only for distribution in this show"
:bsmilie: you sure know how to joke. :bsmilie:

end up getting a photog to shoot a similar photo and the photo belongs to him now. (though the CD dunno go where liao) :bsmilie:

your dad should have just gotten you to shoot it, free :bsmilie:

that guy sure knows how to charge, this i've got to check out. still have that person's name? maybe he's some famous photographer cum spokesman for hasselblad, can make friends with him.

Ok, since everyone is so keen to know. here's how i'm going to do it. I'm not going to reveal the organization because to be fair, the marketing department will be inundated with unsolicited phone calls. I'll will give you guys some hints, and if you can take the time and effor to hunt it down, feel free to pitch to them the next time there's a photo call.

This ad has already run in the Straits Times at least once in the last 4 months. The company also advertises routinely in magazines such as Time, Newsweek and the other magazines dealing wiht international/contemporary affairs. It is one of the hottest industries in singapore right now and has recently been deregulated by the government, thus the aggressive marketing campaigns. This organization by tradition has used out of towners to do the shoot but as a means of cost savings is using local photogs. Due to their past experience and the industry, they prefer to deal with rights managed intellectual property in all aspects of their makreting collateral. All of us have probably used their service or the equivalent at some point in our lives.

So if you guys can figure it out, it's all yours.

Anyway, i'm signing off this conversation because it's completely taken out of context and intrestingly enough, no one else has had the guts to put their rates out for the world to share, so i'm off to forums where people are more open about their business practises. have fun guessing.

ckuang did say that perpetual rights and all, so i think he meant surrendering all the rights and such for a flat fee of S$25k/shot(refer to post no.2 on this thread. here u go.
quoted: "perpetual rights for all markets and all mediums- $25 000 per image + costs")

it is not as if the rights is still the fotographer's and he has the right to charge for every print made after the initial sale and shoot.
i see.. okie.. so far my highest record is only a fraction of 25K..

your dad should have just gotten you to shoot it, free :bsmilie:

that guy sure knows how to charge, this i've got to check out. still have that person's name? maybe he's some famous photographer cum spokesman for hasselblad, can make friends with him.
that time i don't even have a camera.

Ok, since everyone is so keen to know. here's how i'm going to do it. I'm not going to reveal the organization because to be fair, the marketing department will be inundated with unsolicited phone calls. I'll will give you guys some hints, and if you can take the time and effor to hunt it down, feel free to pitch to them the next time there's a photo call.

This ad has already run in the Straits Times at least once in the last 4 months. The company also advertises routinely in magazines such as Time, Newsweek and the other magazines dealing wiht international/contemporary affairs. It is one of the hottest industries in singapore right now and has recently been deregulated by the government, thus the aggressive marketing campaigns. This organization by tradition has used out of towners to do the shoot but as a means of cost savings is using local photogs. Due to their past experience and the industry, they prefer to deal with rights managed intellectual property in all aspects of their makreting collateral. All of us have probably used their service or the equivalent at some point in our lives.

So if you guys can figure it out, it's all yours.

Anyway, i'm signing off this conversation because it's completely taken out of context and intrestingly enough, no one else has had the guts to put their rates out for the world to share, so i'm off to forums where people are more open about their business practises. have fun guessing.

wow, that's convenient. i hope some of the top architecture photographers in singapore drop by to have a look :D

Status
Not open for further replies.