Questions to D30 users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi tomshen

I'm trying to not have to keep taking out my CF card. So the option of a portable hardsisk is not the ideal one for me. Plus the fact there is a possibility of a hard disk failure. This is probably something I will only consider if I'm going for an extended vacation where I need lest say a 10 Gb storage.

So that leaves me with the option of either getting an additional 512 card to minimise the swapping of a 1 Gb microdrive which again could be prone to failure.

I guess for you using a D60, storage is even more of an issue if you want to shoot at a high JPG setting or RAW mode. What are you using now?

Microdrive 340MB + 10GB Image Tank for now. 1GB microdrive to me still too small without an Image Tank as backup. The point is: you may not really need it, but you know you have a big repository so no worry about storage. BTW, I concur your disliking to swap CF often so I may get another 1g later when price fall deeper.

can the 3 focusing point in D30 when used with 550Ex activated or only the centre one? i only know that D60 with 550Ex infrared can work with 3 points on the camera

Originally posted by tomshen
Have a few questions to ask:
1. Which format do u shoot normally, raw or jpg?
2. What's ur normal post processing?
3. If sharpening a pic brings more noise (esp. for high ISO pics), how do u compromise?
4. ur lenses collection pls;p

1. 99% Jpeg Fine. Tried raw but find it too time consuming also max can take 3-4 frame continously.

2. Cropped, USM

3. D30 has no issue on noise for ISO up to 400 (some claim 800).

4. 16-35, 28-70, 70-200F4, 100-400, 550EX, ST-E2

Jason

Originally posted by Simon

Nope, not truth, most of the soft pics are due to camera shake, not enough lights and speed. This happen to all SLR camera, not only D30.

Agree with Simon, most blur pics that I had are due to camera shake due to low shutter speed taken handheld. That makes me wanted the IS feature more than ever. I have been dreaming of the 70-200IS but need to save up first.

Jason

Originally posted by cheangv
Have been shooting in JPG but now considering RAW so I have more flexibility in my post processing. Storage is a big problem if I am shooting raw though. Even with a 256 card, I would only get about 60 + shots. Thats not a lot.

If memory is an issue to you, I think you would have no choice but to shoot in Jpg fine. Unless you are on assignment else I find the extra time need to process the raw pic hard to justified. I had been shooting in Jpg since day 1 and so far no regret. Even when I shoot wedding for friends (not making a living out of it), I use jpg fine too and on critical shot, i applied bracketing. So far it works.

Jason

Originally posted by Shadus
Jed did gave me a good grounding on USM principles at a later stage. Hope he'll make some comments here :)

What? You actually think I have the time to wallow around in a Canon forum? :p

Try asking the question again in the Nikon forum, I might answer then, after all, cannot have Canon users benefitting from my knowledge right :bsmilie:

Seriously, yes I've been down this road before. There is no standard USM setting. Quickly again off the top of my head, the following are all big factors to play:

[1] Starting resolution. A 3000x2000 pixel file needs VASTLY different USM settings from a 300x200 pixel file. Try it with the same settings and you'll see what I mean. This alone makes it ridiculous for anyone to state a general setting they use all the time, unless they only have output at a single resolution. Since USM should always be the last process before output, this is highly unlikely.

[2] The subject matter of the picture. A file with intricate details needs different sharpening than a file with strong bold lines but no intricate details. And a full range between those two extremes.

[3] The cleanliness of the file. A noise-free file with take more effective USM-ing. You have to sharpen a noisy file differently.

[4] Target output. A file destined for inkjet printing, dyesub printing, screen viewing, etc, all require different amounts of USM.

Several other points raised in the thread that I want to raise issues about:

[1] I shoot at JPEG Normal all the time when working. When I shoot for myself, I'm 50% JPEG Normal, 40% JPEG Fine, and 10% RAW (and bear in mind my RAW actually gives me a gain in real pixels along the way as well). While I haven't done a scientific test, here's food for thought. I routinely use JPEG quality of 10 (out of 12) in Photoshop. The files it generates are actually smaller than an equivalent file that comes out of these cameras in JPEG Normal, let alone Fine. For me anyway, the increased file sizes makes speed and storage a nuisance. Not just at the taking stage, but at the archiving and accessing later on. It adds up. I work with thousands of images a week, it makes a big difference.

[2] This not sharp thing. Ignoring the difference between cameras, you have to remember that looking at a several megapixel file in full resolution on screen is usually the equivalent of scrutinising a HUGE print. Depending on camera and monitor resolution, usually somewhere in the region of 20x30. A lot of stuff looks sharp at 8x10, which is why sloppy technique when shooting film can sometimes be got away with. But the same applies to dig in reverse; as in, sloppy handling with the dig, yielding not critically sharp pictures, while unuseable at 20x30, could possibly be quite useable at 8x10. But I must stress that I'm NOT advocating the encouragement of sloppy technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.