Questions on Omni-bounce


Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan11

Member
May 23, 2004
406
0
16
47
Sembawang
Hello all I have a few questions pertaining to Omni-bounce, hope the experts here can help me with these :)

1. What is it's main function ?

2. When to use and not to use ?

3. Pricing ?? (cos i compared from 2 shops and the difference is ridiculous :eek: )

I am currently using a Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash light with my 300D. Thanks :)
 

theory: to help diffuse(spread out) and soften the light from flash

reality: it does soften a bit but it doesnt spread out as preferred as if we were using a bounce card. ie the ugly shadow behind that pretty model will still appear on the wall behind her!!!
which also means it sucks more of your battery life of the flash unit, and it costs u maybe 20 to 50 bucks a piece

however u need to do soem individualised testign wif ur own setup b4 decidign if u really like it. or just stick to good'ol bounce card method =)
 

1. Diffuse flash light, so that it will not be so hash.

2. Ideally in small enclosed area (e.g. HDB room) with white ceiling and walls.

3. Should be less than $30.
 

clive said:
theory: to help diffuse(spread out) and soften the light from flash

reality: it does soften a bit but it doesnt spread out as preferred as if we were using a bounce card. =)

interesting point. the diffuser works well at close range to the subjects. took some shots at a wedding but they were underexposed as i wasn't within the range ;( i was surprised to see 3 photographers using the stofen bounce at a fashion show last week although they were standing quite far :dunno:

don't understand why leh?
 

fashion show is fast paced action...so most prolly no time to set up bounce card nicely.. what with vertical framing, the bounce card got to re-angle...so bounce card is a practical way out for softening..also from their probable angle, the shadows wont show up too much :think: =)
 

Ivan11 said:
Hello all I have a few questions pertaining to Omni-bounce, hope the experts here can help me with these :)

1. What is it's main function ?

2. When to use and not to use ?

3. Pricing ?? (cos i compared from 2 shops and the difference is ridiculous :eek: )

I am currently using a Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash light with my 300D. Thanks :)

1. already mentioned. note that using omnibouce will reduce the effective distance to half. And Omnibouce will consume more battery power.

2. if possible, use the ceiling or wall to bounce. use omniBounce when there is nothing to bounce.

3. as a guide, the mount for 550EX can be from $25 - $30
 

Cover your flash head with a one-ply tissue. That's the effect you get when you shoot your subject head on.

Omnibounce changes your flash from directional to omni-directional, also known as 'bare bulb flash'. Uses depend on desired effect.
 

mpenza said:
can also use white socks to diffuse light :)

ya, who want to smell your sock odour ?? .. ;p

good stratgery to scare away competition and have all the space to shoot for yourself .. :D
 

swimcraze said:
interesting point. the diffuser works well at close range to the subjects. took some shots at a wedding but they were underexposed as i wasn't within the range ;( i was surprised to see 3 photographers using the stofen bounce at a fashion show last week although they were standing quite far :dunno:

don't understand why leh?

for the fashion shows, the flash is probably not the main source of lighting and is only used as a fill-in (to lighten shadows cast by spotlights on the faces and clothes, etc).

when you used it at the wedding, you're probably using the flash as the main source of lighting and when beyond range, the subjects will be underexposed.
 

KNIGHT ONG said:
how to saved it ?? :dunno:

Hi you can search your internet cache folder. The name should be something like joey??.mov
 

clive said:
theory: to help diffuse(spread out) and soften the light from flash

reality: it does soften a bit but it doesnt spread out as preferred as if we were using a bounce card. ie the ugly shadow behind that pretty model will still appear on the wall behind her!!!

This is really more a matter of how you place the model in your composition. If the model is standing nearer to the end wall, of course there will be shadow lah. And to shoot the model when he/she so far away, it's a waste of your flash power, especially when your range is effectively cut by half.

If the model is close and you fire off, and the giant size shadow in the background is still obvious, that means your flash power too strong liao lah.
Lower the flash, up the ISO, change settings whatever.


which also means it sucks more of your battery life of the flash unit, and it costs u maybe 20 to 50 bucks a piece

The pricing all these are ridiculous lah. $25 for a piece of cheap plastic.
The Expodisc is another ridiculously expensive piece of plastic.
 

Prismatic said:
The pricing all these are ridiculous lah. $25 for a piece of cheap plastic.
The Expodisc is another ridiculously expensive piece of plastic.

Price of an Omnibounce = $25
Price of an Expodisc = $140
Price of a stiff white cardboard = $1.50
Price of a Pringles lid = $2

Price of a perfect photograph = Priceless

For everything else, there's MasterCard. :blah:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.