question on carrying dslr on plane

Woahhh...Scary:sweat: is it after the plane take-off:bsmilie:, or before...:sweat:...:)bsmilie:can you imagine this occurred in the Mid-Air flight...:bsmilie:...)

lol... no its before take off... in fact the passenger make quite a bug fuss out of it and delay the plane to take off...

ok... so far from the reply, the conclusion is its ok to hand carry ur camera on plane, and placing d300aw size under plane seat is possible

Last edited:
you might have a problem with your tripod though. it can be considered as a weapon (can be used to bash heads). so they might ask you to check that in. just something to think about on your trip.

you might have a problem with your tripod though. it can be considered as a weapon (can be used to bash heads). so they might ask you to check that in. just something to think about on your trip.

Yeah i can imagine that some security personnel might judge it to be a dangerous weapon. I suppose it's down to their prerogative.
Luckily I've not had any issues with carrying on-board, even though my tripod is pretty large.

i always bring my Kata dr467 + my Fancier tripod on board..i dnt use any tripod bag..since i dnt have and my tripod is quite big...
and so far there is no problem once i went to Thailand Australia Indonesia
i used Qantas, SIA, air asia, jet star

i

Last edited:
i placed my 7D + 17-55 in my 7 million dollar home and put it under my seat during my flight to Guangzhou. i even hand carried my tripod with bag but dumped it in the overhead storage area, no issues at all

anyone just took jetstar budget airline recently? can strap dslr around neck throughout the flight? cos if can i will not be bringing any bag for the dslr..TIA

If I remember correctly the Tawain passenger refuse to put her bag below seat or in the overhead cabin and insist on holding on her belongings.

The reason why the cabin crew must request passengers to put the baggage under seat is for safety to avoid anyone will be tripped over in the event of emergercy evacation. This goes for the same the request to have all windows shade pushed up during take off and landing also.

talking about travelling, have you checked if the country or place you're going allows tripod? New York, London and some asian countries are banning erecting a tripod on their street.

For jetstar, you can strap it on your neck the entire flight. But you need to weigh it and put it under the seat or top of compartment during take off and landing. PS, I'm using a Think Tank Digital holster 30 v2 when travelling with d700/70-200vr2 and leave my 35mm in my clothes bag. The holster can fit under the seat with no problem, and I always shoot the window view landscape during the entire flight with no problems at all. But of course, it all depends on the airline crew. If you take our local SIA...all the auntie stewardess will nag at you.

the Manila jetstar so nice one, got alot of chiobu stewardess...

haha sound like i should give that a try too... anyway, i assume the space under the front seat is big enough for stealth reporter d300aw

i once saw a youtube video where the air stewardess ask the passenger to put her item into overhead cabin and the passenger refuse, then in the end the pilot himself ask that passenger to get out of the plane.. can't find the video... can't remember wat airline either, definitely is one tat travel to sg

hope tat doesn't happen to any of us... haha

That is probably due to the fact the passenger is in a seat along the emergency exit row.

No worries sure clear.. I brought 1 luggage on board with my 6 million dollar on board. No one said anything.. just keep it below will do during take off and landing.

from the replies..it seems like i have to bring a bag to put while on the flight le? cos not allow to strap on neck when taking off/landing?

I strapped my DSLR on my neck during take-off and landing during my flight to HK with Tiger Airways... Maybe it really depends flight to flight.

I strapped my DSLR on my neck during take-off and landing during my flight to HK with Tiger Airways... Maybe it really depends flight to flight.

thanks for the info :) hope someone can confirm this on jetstar..if not i have to buy a dslr bag le :(

thanks for the info :) hope someone can confirm this on jetstar..if not i have to buy a dslr bag le :(

Just get one...you will eventually own more of it. (It's just the beginning! :devil:)

It won't be a problem if you own a bag and leave it under the seat during flight and landing.

i always bring my Kata dr467 + my Fancier tripod on board..i dnt use any tripod bag..since i dnt have and my tripod is quite big...
and so far there is no problem once i went to Thailand Australia Indonesia
i used Qantas, SIA, air asia, jet star

i

The airlines are not the ones giving problems to folks who handcarry the tripod onboard. The ones giving the problems are the ground security staff at the airport.

I have not met with any issues so far. But I heard Taipei airport is very very anal about hand carrying tripods. They will force you to check it in.

Hope this helps.

from the replies..it seems like i have to bring a bag to put while on the flight le? cos not allow to strap on neck when taking off/landing?
Isn't it common sense that during the most critical phases of a flight (which is take off and landing) all things that could be potentially disturbing should be out of way? I had no issues at all with camera bags pushed under the seat in front of me. With your camera dangling around your neck you are bound to bump into something. Do yourself a favour and get a bag, take out the cam when you need it. Beside this: once you get food or drinks, where would you want to put your camera?

Isn't it common sense that during the most critical phases of a flight (which is take off and landing) all things that could be potentially disturbing should be out of way? I had no issues at all with camera bags pushed under the seat in front of me. With your camera dangling around your neck you are bound to bump into something. Do yourself a favour and get a bag, take out the cam when you need it. Beside this: once you get food or drinks, where would you want to put your camera?

alrights thanks..will get a bag soon :)

Depending on which airline you're flying, but most carriers let you take a camera bag in addition to your normal carry on.
Like what most people have said, stow it away under the seat in front of you.

Shibari said:
Depending on which airline you're flying, but most carriers let you take a camera bag in addition to your normal carry on.
Like what most people have said, stow it away under the seat in front of you.

Yeah airlines will let u carry cam bag into cabin. I'm been doing it for donkey times. No question asked.

And I always keep it in the overhead storage. No issues at all. Cam never break. Don't worry so much.

Personally I find hanging camera on neck looks silly and ppl will think u are a show off, want to tell whole world that u got this camera