Question about EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM

whoope3

May 29, 2005
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM lens from a fellow CS'er, and now using it on a 60D.

However, i can't seem to get sharp images with a large aperture. The images get sharper as the aperture gets smaller.

Is this normal? Can anybody shed some light on this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I did a test with the following setup:
Canon 60D
EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM
Aperture-Priority (f2.8 ~ f7.1)
ISO100
Tripod mount

Results:
100mm.jpg

whoope3 said:
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM lens from a fellow CS'er, and now using it on a 60D.

However, i can't seem to get sharp images with a large aperture. The images get sharper as the aperture gets smaller.

Is this normal? Can anybody shed some light on this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I did a test with the following setup:
Canon 60D
EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM
Aperture-Priority (f2.8 ~ f7.1)
ISO100
Tripod mount

Results:

It should be sharp at f/2.8 too.

Have you tried using MF?

The Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro should be sharp at all apertures. Your copy appears to be back/front focused. I would suggest that you take it to CSC for calibration.

as they've said, it's sharp even at f/2.8... did you MF or AF during those test shots?... btw, i had 2 copies of this lens before, both performed great...

I have the same setup and I don't have any issues with 100mm 2.8 wide open. It's sharp wide open. I would suggest trying manual focus using live view mode though I use AF most of the time.

TS, take yr lens to CSC for calibration as suggested by raydio. Yr lens is not performing as it's intended for.

The shots were taken in AF, but i have tried MF many times before as well. Results were same :(

Time for a trip to CSC then.

Thank you all!

whoope3 said:
The shots were taken in AF, but i have tried MF many times before as well. Results were same :(

Time for a trip to CSC then.

Thank you all!

Make sure after calibration and before u leave CSC, better check if it's still sharp at all apertures. If not keep nagging at them.

I didn't have problems with mine.
As they mentioned earlier, take it down to CSC..

Is your tripod stable and are you using a shutter release cable? When I got my 100 I noticed the DOF is so small that even the smallest movement from me when shooting will throw off the focus.