Purchasing in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discman

May 14, 2005
Marine Parade
Hi, currently i have an uncle who is base in the US and will be returning to singapore for a short trip. He asked if i needed anything and so happens that i need a 17- 40L 30D. I would like to confirm this that a person with a work permit over at US can get their rebate right? and is it definitely cheaper to get this 2 item cheaper over there? lastly, I emailed the canon customer service about the pricing and apparently they leave it to their dealers to decide. So i would like to know anyone can recommend me any shop over at the US htat is relatively good pricing and i can pay through the net and ship to my uncle place where he will bring over. So that i can skip the shipping fee

B&H photo?
The thing is, mail-in rebates can be troublesome. The process is handled by some hired company instead of Canon. They run it at a limited budget and could have the tendency to refuse requests for rebate, saying documents are missing or so. Canon do have their supervision over the rebate issues but as I said - it can be troublesome.

as long as you have address at US should be fine, they will mail back the cheque to the address if im not wrong. Don't forget abt local tax, if your uncle staying at NY and buy things from b&H or adorama he need to pay tax 8.625%!! so it could be ended with same price in here, slightly diff only maybe, but need to consider Warranty also, for body only valid in US, except lens, if international as long as you have the reciept, Canon SG honour u 6 month warranty.

but plase check with others, i might be wrong...:)

BH photo is my favorite....

i dun really like adorama cos they always try to sell me filters.... Also if you are willing to call, www.robertsimaging.com in chicago and berger bros in NY, sometimes their prices are cheaper on the phone than on the net. and avoid shops like broadway camera cos they are known to con people. As for rebates, you have to wait until you almost forgot that you have a rebate then you will suddenly recieve the rebate in the mail. As long as the person is residing in US or have a US address, he can apply for the rebate.

IC, So that means no matter what purchasing in the US is quite troublesome too?

Discman said:
IC, So that means no matter what purchasing in the US is quite troublesome too?

not realy troublesome... i did order twice from BHP already... the 2nd is just last week and hoping will arrive this week.....

btw buy more items will save the shipping cost....

has anyone purchase a lens from B&H, is it realiable and the delivery is it safe for a lens to travel from so far?

hi5 said:
not realy troublesome... i did order twice from BHP already... the 2nd is just last week and hoping will arrive this week.....

btw buy more items will save the shipping cost....

Do you normally pay Singapore GST when it lands in Singapore?

Patrick

ptan55 said:
Do you normally pay Singapore GST when it lands in Singapore?

Patrick

Hi ! Patrick, Stanley here.
Yes! when the price is more than $400!!!! And plus..............So you know what i mean???
How are you now???

LogicA said:
has anyone purchase a lens from B&H, is it realiable and the delivery is it safe for a lens to travel from so far?

I bought a few lenses from BH.... they are great.... so far i never had any problems with them....

how are you paying over the internet?
some online retailers are wary of overseas credit cards.. some dont accept cc or may try to call you up to double check on your credit card.
just a point for you to note.

overall it is cheaper to buy here. the rebates are a small hassle. if you wait it out, you will usually get the cheque in the mail (about 3-6 mths after your date of purchase)
as with all rebates, there is a chance it gets "lost' in the mail. so factor that cost when buying your gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.