Public Transport Council likely to approve plans to revise bus, MRT fares

Status
Not open for further replies.
dkw said:
First off, the PTC does not generate the request for fare hikes, the bus/taxi companies do.

first off, we do not understand how's relationship between these organisations and how they work.

dkw said:
Next, if you believe the bus/taxi companies are really making such a huge profit from the business, I have a very simple solution for you. Go and buy a few lots of ComfortDelgro or SMRT shares. Your return in dividends will far out-strip whatever small increase in fares you have to pay.:rolleyes: The fact is that rising fuel prices have squeezed the profit margins of these transport companies, and have no attraction (for me at least) as an investment oppotunity.

next, i've not even the slightest idea what's the salaries and annual bonus of members of director board for these public transport companies... i was oso wondering if it increase or decrease after oil price surge..

dkw said:
As Gerard Ee of the PTC said, taxi drivers need to feed their families too. Since the last time there had been a fare hike, the price of oil has doubled.

indeed taxi drivers need to feed their families.. therefore i really hope they'll consider revising their daily taxi rental of >S$90 ( x 365 days x 7 years)... if not, hopefully the fare hike will not cause reverse effect, if not taxi drivers could probably have a harder time...

dkw said:
Why blame the PTC? Did they cause the price of crude to rise to US$70+??

cost of living has always goes up.. with or without rising price of oil... it'll still goes up....

Just work smarter, harder and possible get second job.

If compare to many advance countries like Japan, Sydney, Hong Kong, Taiwan, US, London, Paris, Rome, Dubai, Vancouver, Shanghai and so on, I think Singapore is still relatively cheap in terms of living cost. Their pay maybe higher than ours but their taxes is also higher than ours.

So stop complaining and get back to work.............:bsmilie:

dkw said:
Next, if you believe the bus/taxi companies are really making such a huge profit from the business, I have a very simple solution for you. Go and buy a few lots of ComfortDelgro or SMRT shares. Your return in dividends will far out-strip whatever small increase in fares you have to pay.:rolleyes: The fact is that rising fuel prices have squeezed the profit margins of these transport companies, and have no attraction (for me at least) as an investment oppotunity.

I see SMRT renovating quite a bit of space in MRT stations to rent out for shops. Very interesting developement there...:think:

seankyh said:
I see SMRT renovating quite a bit of space in MRT stations to rent out for shops. Very interesting developement there...:think:

keke yah, say nicely is to create more jobs for ppls ?? saying in another way is to create more revenue for themselves??

Alot of things that happen in this world has underlying reasons......you think any government in this world like to increase costs? knowing tat alot of their citizens will definitely not be happy...and might even riot?

How do transport workers earn pay increments or bonus? Is it when their employers are loosing money or only break even? All of us are entitled to pay increments and bonus except transport workers?

Alot of countries has price hike (due to inflation, oil etc), it jus tat spore uses the system of small increments in shorter periods, rather than 1 big hike every ten or twenty years......which system is better? small increments where ppl can slowly adapt? or 1 big hike in ten years where ppl will definitely be much less happy, like wat happen in our neighbouring countries....

roadrunner_552 said:
keke yah, say nicely is to create more jobs for ppls ?? saying in another way is to create more revenue for themselves??

I meant the latter. May be a good stock tip maybe? :D

Pro Image said:

If compare to many advance countries like Japan, Sydney, Hong Kong, Taiwan, US, London, Paris, Rome, Dubai, Vancouver, Shanghai and so on, I think Singapore is still relatively cheap in terms of living cost. Their pay maybe higher than ours but their taxes is also higher than ours.

most people who travel around will similarly come to the same idea. tis is exactly wat SG is using to attract people/corporations to come here. tis is wat SG is using to tell the people here that they are better off.

however, if u research in depth each of these countries, they do not have the same proportion of hidden/indirect taxes; for both corporate and the individual.

the statement above is a conclusion from multitude of conversations with my friends who works/worked in US, UK, France, Germany. even when their direct taxes are higher, the people received "a lot" of benefits in terms of education, health, minimum wages, etc.

unless u really to a direct/direct comparison, its hard to come to a absolute conclusion.

Pro Image said:

Short run, yes..living standard affordable..
Long run, no..not able to save enough for retirement..hence ageing problem arise..because not enough jobs for the young ones as the old one still can't retire..work till we die..

Question come:
Why can't we just slow down the pace?

Work hard oso die, work less oso die..
How well you perform in life, how bad you perform oso die..

Can't we just pass our life more peacefully, doing things we really like..like taking photos everyday..and not being pressure by "money"..

Just an extract from an article I ever read:
There is this businessman who once goes to a not so well known island for vacation.
He saw a young chap, seating beside his house by the beach. The young chap was playing his guitar and enjoying a beer, relaxing away. The businessman, walk up to him, and ask him what he does for a living. The young chap reply to him that he fish went he needs food, and if he doesn't fish, he will play his guitar.

So the businessman, suggest to him to go fishing everyday so he can sell it to the market for a better living. The young chap ask him back, what to do next? And the businessman says, if u have earn enough u can start buying fishing boats and even start selling fish to the world and earn lots of lots of money. The young chap ask him back again, what to do next? And the businessman gladly reply, with lots of lots money, you can start to relax..like sitting by a beach resort, enjoy the breeze, and play guitar.

The young chap smile and continued playing his guitar.

Moral of the story:
"In the end you get back to the same point."

blazer_workz said:
Long run, no..not able to save enough for retirement..hence ageing problem arise..because not enough jobs for the young ones as the old one still can't retire..work till we die..

Question come:

Can't we just pass our life more peacefully, doing things we really like..like taking photos everyday..and not being pressure by "money"..

There is this businessman who once goes to a not so well known island for vacation.
He saw a young chap, seating beside his house by the beach. The young chap was playing his guitar and enjoying a beer, relaxing away. The businessman, walk up to him, and ask him what he does for a living. The young chap reply to him that he fish went he needs food, and if he doesn't fish, he will play his guitar.

So the businessman, suggest to him to go fishing everyday so he can sell it to the market for a better living. The young chap ask him back, what to do next? And the businessman says, if u have earn enough u can start buying fishing boats and even start selling fish to the world and earn lots of lots of money. The young chap ask him back again, what to do next? And the businessman gladly reply, with lots of lots money, you can start to relax..like sitting by a beach resort, enjoy the breeze, and play guitar.

Moral of the story:

ahhh.........

there is nobody to force him to pay money on the land he seats, or ask him to pay tax on the fish he catches, or GST on the things he buys/needs, or charges him money for the roads they build, the holes they dig in the ground, the building they build for the police/judges to enforces the new laws they enact, the paving of the carpark for the new cars for the govt officals, the building of the hospital to replace the one-doctor clinic, etc....

you get the idea?

scramblur11 said:
Those transport coys are private coys so they have to answer to shareholders....if jus becoz they keep price down and makes looses / break even only, think not many ppl will invest in these coys liao.... moreover, will these low price mean lower quality of service or retrenchment of workers? everybody wan cheap and good.....:bsmilie:

but at least in spore there is some aids for those who realli have trouble using these transport....

Isn't the main share holder for SBS the government. The goverment own majority shares in the transport companies.

Caspere said:
most people who travel around will similarly come to the same idea. tis is exactly wat SG is using to attract people/corporations to come here. tis is wat SG is using to tell the people here that they are better off.

however, if u research in depth each of these countries, they do not have the same proportion of hidden/indirect taxes; for both corporate and the individual.

the statement above is a conclusion from multitude of conversations with my friends who works/worked in US, UK, France, Germany. even when their direct taxes are higher, the people received "a lot" of benefits in terms of education, health, minimum wages, etc.

unless u really to a direct/direct comparison, its hard to come to a absolute conclusion.

Yeah get what you mean but overall, it's still more expensive to stay else where than Singapore for now. I think we should do a direct comparision right?

fare hikes is one of the least "robust" ways to remain competitive. Petrol prices affect everyone. Economic recovery, well, if there is one, benefits everyone. If fare hikes is the "reason given" for responses to high operating costs and/or riding on a economic upturn, I would say this organisation lacks the ability to truly generate income given a competitive environment.

Think about it. When operatings costs go up, can:

Creative Tech pass on the increased costs to customers?
Akira?
Whatever other company that faces increase in operating costs to use the "increase prices" card to remain profitable?

Likewise, when the economy is doing well, can:

SIA use that as an excuse to increase price?
Starhub?
Hush Puppies?

Other than passing increased operating costs to customers, they have no other ways to remain competitive? That's extremely sad, especially when SBS and SMRT has shown such amazing capabilities in building a world-class network. Yet they have no clever ideas to remain profitable in challenging times?

I know these are hardly ceterus paribus examples, but I'm sure most of you get the point. Monopolies are extremely unhealthy. Not just the burden on lower-middle and lower income families when we are talking about inelastic necessities, but also these very firms who face no challenges and use the simple solution of increasing prices. Hardly reflective of what they are capable of. In an era of very rapid globalisation, I wonder how sustainable this simple strategy can be.

blazer_workz said:

Question come:

Moral of the story:

Yeah good analogy. Depends on where you work lor.....i do not want to really slow down my phase as slowing down really will slow down my brain......hahaha......:bsmilie:

It's not that we are pressured by money but things are getting more expensive day by day. What if your wages in 1980 is $2000, what would the wages be in 1990 and 2000? Same?

We sleep, we pay, We sit, pay. We walk, we pay. We speak, we pay. We do anything in Singapore, we have to pay lei.....

Just being on the realistic side.....hehe. How do you expect yourself to write this messages, if you do not have money to buy a computer, sign up a broadband line, learn English in school, take mrt to work and so on lar......haiz.:sweat:

Pro Image said:
Yeah good analogy. Depends on where you work lor.....i do not want to really slow down my phase as slowing down really will slow down my brain......hahaha......:bsmilie:

It's not that we are pressured by money but things are getting more expensive day by day. What if your wages in 1980 is $2000, what would the wages be in 1990 and 2000? Same?

We sleep, we pay, We sit, pay. We walk, we pay. We speak, we pay. We do anything in Singapore, we have to pay lei.....

Just being on the realistic side.....hehe. How do you expect yourself to write this messages, if you do not have money to buy a computer, sign up a broadband line, learn English in school, take mrt to work and so on lar......haiz.:sweat:

The whole idea is not about slacking..the idea here is to bring the point that, we human ourselves are working way too hard..

Humans are simply the most ironical person on earth..

blazer_workz said:
The whole idea is not about slacking..the idea here is to bring the point that, we human ourselves are working way too hard..

Humans are simply the most ironical person on earth..

Okkkkk.....but Singapore mar........:bsmilie:

Yeah human has the most complicated brains....:devil:

dkw said:
First off, the PTC does not generate the request for fare hikes, the bus/taxi companies do.

As Gerard Ee of the PTC said, taxi drivers need to feed their families too. Since the last time there had been a fare hike, the price of oil has doubled.

Why blame the PTC? Did they cause the price of crude to rise to US$70+??

Let me put it the other way

If the taxi company is raising the price to support the petrol prices, what has that got to do with the company per say? They do not drive the taxis, the taxi drivers do. So, in other words, the taxi companies are telling us that they love their margins and they want to keep it the same way, but commuters have to help the taxi drivers reduced their operating cost.

The price increase has nothing to do with the head office profit margins. In fact, it might make the situation worse and more people might catch a bus instead.

Gerard Ee is missing the point. What can't the taxi company reducing the rental fees of the taxis? That would have the same impact as well.

If petrol prices do drop, would you think the fares would have decrease?

Who has ever heard of a monopolistic companies losing money?

how I wish I'm Superman, so that I can fly to work and no need to take bus

Status
Not open for further replies.