PSA Building invaded by laptop doers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in most McDonald's around the island with big signs saying no studying, I've seen old tutors (you guys call them "tuition", I think) with "clients" doing their lessons in McDonald's... annoying.

Even the airport McDonald's are full of students

Just to mess up your minds a little. Would you rather the youth of today spend time studying (if they are really studying that is) in food outlets, causing a little inconvenience to "real diners"... or would you rather

they be a bunch of delinquents that hang around shopping malls the whole day around, sitting in void decks smoking, going to pubs drinking, etc etc...

Acquiring an education doesn't automatically equate the person being educated... ;)

Being socially rude and selfish already shows what little their "education" will really bring later on their lives.

You're certainly right on the selfish nature.

Although I can also see some of the reasons that drove the students to such places to study.

But yes, at the end of the day.. they should be more "auto" and give up their places during peak dining hours.

Definitely not holiday in Japan now and apparently students prefer studying at home den taking up seats and bothering other patrons whilst studying.

The fast food restaurants here are actually packed with people who are REALLY EATING and not socializing!

Didn't realize that mac is a nice place to socialize too :bsmilie: ... guess its some kind of new hype that all this students blindly follow each other if not then maybe family violence at home perhaps just like the typical drama from mediacock ?

Maybe someone can create a partition of what and write it to mac .... seriously restaurants is a place for eating and not studying :thumbsd:

Where have you been? :bsmilie: this phenomena has been in existence since at least 15 years ago. back then it was the YMCA macdonalds (it still faces this problem now I think).

My goodness. Don't these students have any shame?

If I want the wireless access at Starbucks (which, incidentally, is free), I'd at least have the decency to order a drink there...

Don't make students the scapegoats. It is a problem of non-student Singaporeans, too. I clearly remember paid (and not cheap!) image editing courses being offered on Clubsnap that were to be held in a MacDonald's outlet to leech on space, internet connectivity, and electrical power.

Children merely follow the lead of antisocial behavior from adults. Selfishness, recklessness, and ruthlessness pervade all segments of Singapore's society.

well............ adults see students in macs studying.

you know what the students see? adults sleeping in library.

stop giving free electricity to these cheapos and they will disappear.

Time to bring back the Courtesy Campaign of the 80s with that old familiar song: "Courtesy is for me....." :bsmilie:

It didn't go away entirely. It evolved and got renamed.

For the memories...

Courtesy is for free
Courtesy is for you and me.
It makes for gracious living and harmony
Giving a friendly smile
Helping out where we can
Trying hard to be polite all the time

Courtesy is for free
Living could be a treat
If people are awfully sweet
Courtesy could be our way of life

Courtesy is for free
It is rude to be abusive
Just to prove we're right
Instead we could be nice about it if we tried

Make courtesy our way of life.

Name of Artist : J.J de Souza
Title : Make Courtesy Our Way of Life

Now, there's a re-mix of that old familiar tune of more than 20 years!

Anyways...http://spoiltforchoice.blogspot.com/2005/08/singapore-gracious-society.html

I don't think Singaporeans will ever be truly courtesous or gracious the way that say, some Europeans or other peoples have been brought up to be through the generations.

An entire attitude and way of life is not something that can be 'taught' through a month-long campaign, even if that campaign runs for more than 20 years.

Why does it even need to be run for THAT long? Makes you wonder, really.

Courtesy isn't about just being trained to be 'nice', or even about being thoughtful.

It's about acknowledging and appreciating a fellow human being, and perhaps above all else, it's really about a subtle sense of respect for life, and putting others before ourselves.

But I guess that's it's good that the (by now) hundreds of millions of dollars of our hard earned tax money has been put to good use to try and make us more human and gracious - a profoundly simple yet crucial fundamental of upbringing (for life in civilised society) which our forefathers and parents obviously failed at in various degrees.

I was under the impression that you can't study at national library outlets, unless you use their reference materials. I was told this a couple of years ago when I was re-doing my O levels, and was told to leave because I was taking up precious table space to people who use the library references for their research.

this occurred to me at Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio, Library @ Taka, and the old National Library. I'm not sure if it's still their policy now, but that was what happened to me. and that is also why I turned to places like Maccas to study.

I did however, make sure I had a steady supply of fries and/or hamburgers and drinks on my table though. but yah, there weren't much places more conducive for me to study. and I know studying at a fast food outlet is not that conducive, but research has also shown that listening to music is a form of hinderance to absorbing information via studies, yet so many of us do it.

but I guess ultimately, people should have a bit more social graces at times. I did give up my seats during the rush hour periods, as people needed to dine and I needed to take a break as well. the Maccas at Bishan *the previous one near the CC* also were fine with students studying there, as long as we scrammed during peak hours.

Not sure about now, but the old national library reference section lvl3 prohibits you from bringing your own books in. Only paper.. to make your own notes or whatever it is.

Not sure about now, but the old national library reference section lvl3 prohibits you from bringing your own books in. Only paper.. to make your own notes or whatever it is.

yeap I am/was aware of that. however, we *by we I mean my mates and myself* were told explicitly that studying was not allowed unless we used their material.

but like I said, their policy could have changed now. either that or we were just dealt the wrong end of the stick and had "preferential" treatment given to us.

That's kind of silly. Just taking a book from the shelf and opening it up in front of you "for reference" would easily circumvent the "use their material" rule... :bsmilie:

u mean NUS cut air con bill :what: that y all go PSA building pay so much and no air con :confused:
actually, they have... they are now on a cost cutting (pro-environmnent ;p) drive and regulating the temperatures such that the air can get quite stuffy...;)

staff not doing anything is because the staff are not paid by how much the store earn. most probably paid per hour. so let them sit all day and the staff just need to shake legs and collect pay.
agreed.. basically, if you want change, complain to the central management of the restaurants, the people who are trying to maximise earnings...

Maybe automatic spikes that would shoot up from the chair seat if it detects the same bum resting on it for 30 continuous minutes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.