Problem with wireless connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icer

Mar 15, 2004
West
www.icezworld.com
My wireless connection at home is down again!
Got connection but internet cannot be found!

Anyone knows how to solve this? Do I have to re-install? How to prevent this from happening? :(

i can't help but just let you know its a very trickly thing. my wireless was down this whole morning cause i switch it off when i was away for 4 days.

Ask my IT for support, normally i ask him as a favour to come down to take a look.

ask tech support from ur the router company? becos some of the wireless settings is very complicated leh.... :think:

Belle&Sebastain said:
i can't help but just let you know its a very trickly thing. my wireless was down this whole morning cause i switch it off when i was away for 4 days.

Ask my IT for support, normally i ask him as a favour to come down to take a look.

Oh, I was also away for a few days but it was ok the first day I used it. The second day the problem begins.

This happened before and my fren came and re-install the programme again and it works. So I guess we have to do it this way. :(

It happens to me from time to time. Here's what I do to fix:

1. Pull out wireless card from PC and reinsert - this usually fixes the problem.
2. Unplug and replug in power cable for router.
3. If still not working, unplug and replug in power cable for Cable modem.
4. If still not working, call tech support for your Cable.

Usually 1 does the trick - seldom need to resort to 2 and 3.
Also make sure your firmware is up to date. This may help to reduce the incidence of such problems.

Royce said:
It happens to me from time to time. Here's what I do to fix:

1. Pull out wireless card from PC and reinsert - this usually fixes the problem.
2. Unplug and replug in power cable for router.
3. If still not working, unplug and replug in power cable for Cable modem.
4. If still not working, call tech support for your Cable.

Usually 1 does the trick - seldom need to resort to 2 and 3.
Also make sure your firmware is up to date. This may help to reduce the incidence of such problems.

is there a wireless card? I am using those that I connect through an USB port with a small rectangle device with a antenna looking stick. Is that the one? Or is there supposed to be another card inserted somewhere?

Hi

There are many possibilities that you can't connect to internet:

1. The SCV modem is not working, not online.
2. SCV modem doesn't recognize the Wireless router (AP)
3. There is problem between AP and your notebook, SSID, WEB related problem.
4. Your USB wireless driver setting gone hay wire.
5. Notebook setting problem
6. Wrong IE proxy setting.

It must be one of the above reasons, and lets go step by step to identify:
1. Check the status of SCV (assumbing you are using SCV, it is harder to troubleshoot if it is ADSL). The on-line led must be lighted. else call SCV.
1a. Do a direct connection from SCV to your notebook, if it works then item 1 & 6 are ok. Must remember to turn off and on the mains supply of the SCV modem. Remember to do the power cycle also when connecting back the AP.

3. Lets jump to number 3. You can confirm this connection by going to the home page of the AP. If it is Compex, the IP address is 192.168.168.1, if it is Linksys, the IP address is 192.168.1.1. Tell me whether you get into the home page or not. If not your problem is from 3 to 6. If yes, 3 is ok. If you are able to get into the AP home page, check your manual for default ID and password (I can't remember off hand).

2. Assumbing item 3 is ok, and you have logged into the AP home page, you can check item 2 by looking at the AP whether it is assigned an IP address and DNS or not.

Let's stop here first. Do you have another PC connected to the switch output of the AP and it is working?

I need the following information in order to help better:
1. What Internet connection? SCV, ADSL (Signet or Pacific Net)
2. What brand of AP?
3. What operating system of your notebook?

Let me know your progress.

poh6702 said:
Hi

There are many possibilities that you can't connect to internet:

1. The SCV modem is not working, not online.
2. SCV modem doesn't recognize the Wireless router (AP)
3. There is problem between AP and your notebook, SSID, WEB related problem.
4. Your USB wireless driver setting gone hay wire.
5. Notebook setting problem
6. Wrong IE proxy setting.

It must be one of the above reasons, and lets go step by step to identify:
1. Check the status of SCV (assumbing you are using SCV, it is harder to troubleshoot if it is ADSL). The on-line led must be lighted. else call SCV.
1a. Do a direct connection from SCV to your notebook, if it works then item 1 & 6 are ok. Must remember to turn off and on the mains supply of the SCV modem. Remember to do the power cycle also when connecting back the AP.

3. Lets jump to number 3. You can confirm this connection by going to the home page of the AP. If it is Compex, the IP address is 192.168.168.1, if it is Linksys, the IP address is 192.168.1.1. Tell me whether you get into the home page or not. If not your problem is from 3 to 6. If yes, 3 is ok. If you are able to get into the AP home page, check your manual for default ID and password (I can't remember off hand).

2. Assumbing item 3 is ok, and you have logged into the AP home page, you can check item 2 by looking at the AP whether it is assigned an IP address and DNS or not.

Let's stop here first. Do you have another PC connected to the switch output of the AP and it is working?

I need the following information in order to help better:
1. What Internet connection? SCV, ADSL (Signet or Pacific Net)
2. What brand of AP?
3. What operating system of your notebook?

Let me know your progress.

can i suggest if you really can help PM the thread starter and talk thou the phone, on line, its very difficult. I sort out thou phone too this morning, much easier really!

Sometimes, the damn DNS servers at SCV go down. Happened to me twice so far, but i've had my connection for almost 1yr now. Doesn't bug me. SCV will try to smoke you, because they think every Singaporean out there isn't knowledgeable about cable. Just tell them that you know their DNS is down, and request for an alternative.

Try to isolate the issue. Connect your PC to the cable modem directly, and if that works, then just reset your router for a bit. If the connecting to the cable modem doesn't solve a thing, you can either wait it out, or call SCV and kick up a fuss. :bsmilie:

yah, agree with PLRBEAR. Try connecting the laptop/PC directly to the cable modem to see if it works. This will help isolate the problem with the AP, if any.

I have another experience. I dont remember which way, but I think the cable modem has to be up before the wireless AP. Or is it the other way roungd ? :embrass: This is to ensure that the comms between the two devices. Same reason why you need to reset the cable modem when you move from direct connect to to the modem to the setup using the wireless AP.

Hope this helps ;)

1) Turn off your SCV cable modem
2) Turn off your W-Router
3) Turn off your PC

Allow to rest for 1min.

4) Turn on the SCV cable modem
5) Turn on the W-Router
6) Turn on the PC

7) At command prompt (NT) type ipconfig /release *
8) At command prompt (NT) type ipconfig /renew *

OR

7) (98/SE) Click start->run->winipcfg <enter>
8) Click release all, then renew all

9) At command prompt, type ping www.singnet.com.sg

Hope it helps.

Otherwise telnet to your W-Router and reset the settings to default.

Thanks all for your advices.

Apparently it's a bit too chim for me.

I tried to reinstall my router again last night............now it's still connected to the access point but no internet found.

I will try to print out all your advices and see what I can do tonight. Really fustrating. Actually my friend installed the wireless connection for me but he might be out of town. Can I still call SCV to make a big fuss?

The brand of my router is link system.

Nope, you can't call SCV and complain, namely because they consider it as 'business losing' because they used to ask people to install a point/modem for every PC. Even now that they offer wire-less and internet sharing, they'd still insist they do it for you so that they can earn.

What you can probably do is to connect your W-Router to the access point direct, connect your PC to the router, your W-Router manual should teach you how to access the internal functionality of the router whereby you can configure settings. Look it up and go to the diagnostic page, check if there's an active connection and an IP is attached (202.156.*.*).

Are you using the Linksys WRT54G router? If so, let me know, I'm using the same router, perhaps I can help on the connectivity part.

I believe it's http://192.168.1.1 to access the linksys router's configuration page, if password is not set, the login should just be Admin alone.

Under the options there somewhere, you should be able to ping and check the connectivity status. Hope it helps.

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54gv1.1_ug.pdf Found the manual for the 54G off the internet, if it helps that is. Page 46 onwards teachings you how to troubleshoot.

Go to page 22, logon.

Internet Setup Tab:
Select DHCP under Internet Connection

Administration Tab:
Diagnostics - Can do the ping here.

Check and see if it works.

Also, are you connecting via wire to the W-Router? Or using a wireless lan card, if so, make sure your connection has the WEP bit, passphrase & SSID to connect, else the connection will definitely fail.

WEP, passphrase & SSID can be found under Page 32.

espn said:
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrt54gv1.1_ug.pdf Found the manual for the 54G off the internet, if it helps that is. Page 46 onwards teachings you how to troubleshoot.

Go to page 22, logon.

Internet Setup Tab:
Select DHCP under Internet Connection

Administration Tab:
Diagnostics - Can do the ping here.

Check and see if it works.

Also, are you connecting via wire to the W-Router? Or using a wireless lan card, if so, make sure your connection has the WEP bit, passphrase & SSID to connect, else the connection will definitely fail.

WEP, passphrase & SSID can be found under Page 32.

Thanks all.

Think it's too chim for me to understand. I had managed to download some info from the linksys website. They do have a FAQ that answers the problem that our router can receive signals but cannot access internet.

So will try tonight if not will get professional help. My fren recommend another fren and he can help to solve my problem for $28. It's a off-site thing so he has to come to my place.

Thanks again. ;)

It's not really hard, just need to be daring, anyway if it doesn't work, just press the little button behind the router :bsmilie:

espn said:
It's not really hard, just need to be daring, anyway if it doesn't work, just press the little button behind the router :bsmilie:
Hold that same little button for more than 30 seconds and you will hard reset the router. This will restore all settings back to factory default. Might be worth a try, if you have made any changes to the router settings.

Royce said:
Hold that same little button for more than 30 seconds and you will hard reset the router. This will restore all settings back to factory default. Might be worth a try, if you have made any changes to the router settings.

Will it re-install the router?

It'll just set the router to it's initial starting stage as when it arrived in the box. However, any other settings already inside your router will be removed.

There might be one more reason that no one has pointed out... you inadvertantly forgot to pay your bill and SCV cut your service. It's a possibility, everything else will still look like it's working, the network connection window will show a lot of bytes sent, but 0 bytes received. Try calling the 24-hr hotline and make sure that your service hasn't been suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.