Problem focusing using EOS 350 with kit lens 18 - 55mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den73

Jul 2, 2009
Hi,

I have recently got a resale EOS350 with kit lens, I have a problem when capturing the image in dark area as it was unable to focus and therefore I am unable to snap the picture.

Can anyone advise if this is normal?

Thanks

i think it is quite normal. Canon bodies do not have a focus assist light. I have encountered canon users using a ST-E2 to assist focusing.

Hi,

I have recently got a resale EOS350 with kit lens, I have a problem when capturing the image in dark area as it was unable to focus and therefore I am unable to snap the picture.

Can anyone advise if this is normal?

Thanks

sounds normal since a 350D is a rather old model already.

Depending on how dark the ambient light is, you will find most cameras will have problem focusing properly. Are you not using built in flash? It has light assist beam. Also, you can use center focus point and try focus onto an object with a bit more contrast of the same distance. Once you locked focus, then recompose and shoot.

Hi thanks for all your advise, will try it again and see how it goes.

Depending on how close the subject is, you can also use a flashlight to create a bright spot for focus-lock...

Depends on the lens also. The kit lens is F3.5 so bit hard to focus in dark areas.

There is always the option for manual focus if you trust your eyes enough.

All cameras will have more or less difficulties in focusing in dim light. Use center focus point (see manual how to select the single point) and maybe think about a faster lens. But finally using external flash helps a lot. The red grid of 430EX AF assist beam really helps to get the focus right.

Status
Not open for further replies.