Prevent MOULDY leather sofa and wooden furnitures ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i read somewhere before, that humidity is only one conern to the mould.

but the treatment of the wood is a major concern.

especially if it's one that grows FLIES.

i read somewhere before, that humidity is only one conern to the mould.

but the treatment of the wood is a major concern.

especially if it's one that grows FLIES.

for wood composite furniture try applying a layer (or 2) of fast drying varnish or oil based paint to act as sealant? :dunno:

My place is in Sembawang.

But then, my windows are normally 24 hours, 7 days a week open.
Except for the kitchen when i go to work.
Even then, my kitchen's furniture never had any mould problem.

hmm... somehow these place are affected more than the rest ....

YISHUN, SEMBAWANG, MARINE PARADE, PUNGGOL, SENGKANG.... these areas are 'near' the sea ..they claimed :sweat:

So, I guess we just need to pay more attention to our furnitures.

where do i get those varnish thingy?

my father suggested getting a pests control in to spray the whole house.
will it help to ensure the flies won't breed again?

where do i get those varnish thingy?

my father suggested getting a pests control in to spray the whole house.
will it help to ensure the flies won't breed again?

from DIY shops or art&craft shops for premium grade 1s, not sure got quick dry wan anot, more likely for paints. but i applied it to my Ikea wardrobe years back to prevent bare (non-laminated side) composite wood from disintergrating:rolleyes:, which was similiar to medium density fibre MDF.

pest control use spray is an option, but cleaning up after that may be quite a hassle, i believe its not hygienic nor safe if breathed in or ingested indirectly- read book on sofa (that kenna spray), eat cookie, touch sofa... :sweat:

*premium grade varnish i bought from Bras Bersah in a tiny bottle less than 100ml, as clear as water for about $8 years back.

Last edited:
thanks thanks. will check out the varnish stuffs. :)

my house is very far from the seaside leh.
near to the MRT in fact.
just outside my place also very hot.
if spill water on the floor, within 5 to 10 mins will dry up already.

sigh. dunno why i'm so unlucky

high temperature + high humidity?! :devil:

water evaporate into moisture still need wind to carry it away otherwise its still around.

:sweatsm:

but then.. but then... I on the fan daily one wor. when I'm not home. Coz I needed air circulation and breeze for my pet.

and the windows are never close. Ok lah. got close one panel, coz scared rain spill in...

but then.. but then... I on the fan daily one wor. when I'm not home. Coz I needed air circulation and breeze for my pet.

and the windows are never close. Ok lah. got close one panel, coz scared rain spill in...

ur pet eat some yummy stuff & go licking ur furniture? :sweatsm:

ur pet eat some yummy stuff & go licking ur furniture? :sweatsm:

heh? not possible lah. :bsmilie:
he didn't even do that to the other furniture.

he's only interested in lying under the coffee table and sleeping in his bed.

i've never seen him near the other furniture.

Other then humidity and ventilation issues, probably the brightness of the place could have an effect also?

Just a suggestion, how about winding up the curtains and let in more sunlight to the room?

Had mould problem before but now is under-control. I find that removing the "most" jialat mould "victim" solves the problem. Isolate them. Keep them in the sun, in dry place etc if you can.

FIRST THINGS FIRST
1. Remove the sources of moisture (or else mould will return with a vengeance!)
2. Treat it early!

Don't wait until infestation sets in! Mould growth is slow to start and can take several months or seasons to get established. After growth begins, however, it is very rapid.

Key word: CLEAN and DRY!
1. Vacuum and clean surfaces regularly (don’t give them a foothold)
But vacuum wisely: Typical vacuum cleaning results in a 17-fold increase in Mould conidia numbers and leaves these numbers elevated for at least an hour afterwards. One study found that disturbing a surface Mould can cause a 3,300 times increase in airborne fungi with 0.3 meter of the source. Use a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner and also use N95 mask when cleaning up infestation. Spores are easily released when mouldy material is dried out.
2. Provide more sunlight (because sunlight kills mould)
3. Circulate! Circulate! Circulate! air!
4. Separate objects to allow circulation of air. E.g. shoes cabinets
5. Get a dehumidifier if necessary to protect precious stuff

Cleaning
1. Mild bleach solution (1:10 of bleach: water)
2. Vinegar solution (1:4 of vinegar: water). Stand 15 minutes
3. Sun the surfaces (UV light).
4. Lysol Spray seemed to help (my experience haha)

Spray Treatment
Water-repellent and soil-resistant spray treatments inhibit mildew growth by reducing moisture or food available.

Possible sources of damp conditions:
1. Cooking and dishwashing areas
2. Plumbing leaks
3. Houseplants with water
4. Aquariums
5. Hanging wet clothes indoors

========== More information on Moulds ==================
• Molds thrive on organic materials such as paper, leather, natural fibers or surfaces coated with the slightest amount of organic matter such as food or soil.
• The optimal growth temperature range for molds is 77°F to 88°F (20°C to 30°C), though some growth may occur anywhere between 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
• Mildew requires moisture. The optimal growth range for mildew is 70 to 93 percent relative humidity (RH). RH would have to be below 62 percent to stop all chances for mold growth, although RH below 70 percent inhibits most mold growth. A lower RH delays spore germination of molds, reduces the rate of mold growth, and lowers the number of cells produced.
• Molds are aerobic. That is, they require oxygen for growth.
• Light is not required for mold growth. Mold growth can continue indefinitely without light.
• Mold growth is promoted by a slightly acid condition.
• Mold growth is inhibited by a variety of fungicides such as chlorinated phenols, copper napthenate or oleate. Coal tar creosote can be used on wood surfaces where paint is not to be used or where odor or appearance would not be objectionable. Ultra-violet radiation can kill mildew. Exposure to sunlight has been a mildew remedy since pre-air conditioning days.
====================== END ===========================

heh? not possible lah. :bsmilie:
he didn't even do that to the other furniture.

he's only interested in lying under the coffee table and sleeping in his bed.

i've never seen him near the other furniture.

looks like must install CCTV to see wads its up to when u leave for work. :sweatsm: saw on TV how some pets behave when owners leave for work... :embrass:

but then i hope i am so wrong. :cool:

Hi.. err.. a bit contradicting? won't the cleaning process promote growth if using vinegar solution?

Had mould problem before but now is under-control. I find that removing the "most" jialat mould "victim" solves the problem. Isolate them. Keep them in the sun, in dry place etc if you can.

Cleaning

2. Vinegar solution (1:4 of vinegar: water). Stand 15 minutes

========== More information on Moulds ==================
• Mold growth is promoted by a slightly acid condition.
====================== END ===========================

errr.. I still think the problem is largely due to the furniture itself.

because, all my other furniture are ok, except for one shoe cabinet. because last time i stupid go and put shoedirectly inside when it's sweaty.

but because the wood is varnished, so it's easy to rid of the mould.

I got those "pledge" brand lemon wood polish, spray onto the mould, wiped dry with cloth. Thereafter, the 2nd time it grew muold was 3 months later, then 6 months later and after that, never grow mould again. Been 2 years since it never grow mould.

all the other wood furniture are very ok.
Even my old TV console i placed at where the new one is, didn't grow mould at all. The wood were also varnished.

I've read that mould grow due to the treatment of the wood not done properly, the type of wood used and the quality of the wood.

Also, my furniture has NEVER breed FLIES before. This is the first time that I've seen furniture breeding flies.
It's really making my hair stand.

Even my bathroom, which is usually wet and hot, doesn't grow mould nor flies within 3 months!!
My bathroom is not airy either. Only has a small window to air... very stuffy inside too.
But no mould leh. No flies also.

ok lah. maybe coz no wooden stuffs inside there.

looks like must install CCTV to see wads its up to when u leave for work. :sweatsm: saw on TV how some pets behave when owners leave for work... :embrass:

but then i hope i am so wrong. :cool:

OT abit.

i also want to. but waste of electricity leh.
i know he sleeps, because, when i'm home, he sleeps. When i get home, he is stretching. A very lazy fellow i have here.
yea. really so lazy that makes me think he should be a piggy, not a doggie. :bsmilie:

and those flies that are breeding from the furniture, i'm so scared they'll go into his nose. So this past one week opened my master bedroom door and let him sleep inside there.

i'm very paranoid of the flies.

hmmm... no idea liao.

if suspect its the material giving problem den may have to look for replacement. but before u actually do that i wonder how about cling wrap it with silica gel packs, see if flies breed. if it does den time to dump it.

got to admit flies breeding from furniture is far from norm. but with a pet pooch around i worry more about flies coming into contact with the delicate ear canals or anywhere near... :embrass: dogs do sneeze, a fly would be sneezed far far away!

good idea to keep ur doggie away from it for health reason alone. u may like to add a piece of cloth under the door for extra security!

for composite wood furniture, 1 will never know where the source is from- Asia Tsunami perhaps? :faint:

i would not mind observing flies grow from wood... :cool:

ho ho ho.
interested to see the flies?
I'm trying to capture the video.
But it's an impossible job for me to overturn the consoles myself.

anyway, i gt to apologize for abit of wrong info.

the furniture were paid for on 10/july 2008 but the delivery was either 19/July 2008 or 26/july 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.