Prank

Status
Not open for further replies.
imaginary_number said:
All they need is the IP address. There has been several defamation cases on some of the other forums I frequent - the forum owner is legally obligated to reveal the IP address. Many of these offenders were fined.

Not sure what happened to the person who masqueraded as PM Goh though.

If a prankster has ill intentions for libelous acts, he can easily do it in a cyber cafe. Then there's no way anyboby can track him/her down.

u never know.... s'pore's computer CSI team is quite good. unfortunately they may consider this case to be more 'nuisance' than 'malicious' as there are no losses to property. after all, it's name-calling rather than theft. a bit like the coward/vandal who writes nasty stuff about u (inlcuding your telephone number and some graphics) on the wall of a public toilet.

vivientan said:
If a prankster has ill intentions for libelous acts, he can easily do it in a cyber cafe. Then there's no way anyboby can track him/her down.

think you need to register your particular in internet cafe before using their computer?? i've not been to any internet cafe here before....

if the police want to track, i think they have their methods of tracking.

zaren said:
u never know.... s'pore's computer CSI team is quite good. unfortunately they may consider this case to be more 'nuisance' than 'malicious' as there are no losses to property. after all, it's name-calling rather than theft. a bit like the coward/vandal who writes nasty stuff about u (inlcuding your telephone number and some graphics) on the wall of a public toilet.

its more of identity theft. nuisance or not, an offence is an offence. :nono:

When (date and time) did this happen?

Will do some forensics tonight.

oeyvind said:
no, if you login and leave a comment, the comment will track back to your own pbase gallery no email address will be shown!

Something like...

That is provided that you've got an account with PBase right? I one doesn't have an account with them, the email address will be shown.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

vivientan said:

Not no way just more difficult. Internet cafes have become more vigilant since identity assumptions occurred several times in the past. It would not be wise to assume that you escape identification via such means.

beyond criminal intentions.. I really question the motive behind such actions. No matter how much I dislike someone, I would never soil his name. It just shows how low and despicable you are as a person and the shame you bring upon those who believe in you... but then again you could be a Nazi so you believe you are "justified" to prosecute others as you deem fit

vivientan said:

I've not surfed at cybercafes before. Don't these places take down the user's particulars and time of access, etc? I would think that the onus lies on them to ensure that their customers do not misuse the terminals.

It is obviously a fellow photographer; he might even be someone Tim knows. Though there is the distinct possibility that he may have hidden his tracks so well by using a public access terminal, one fact that remains is that he might not have been smart enough to do so in the first place.

The track may still lead back to him with enough detective work and effort.

My question to the perpertrator is this: Did you use a public access terminal? If you did, good for you. If you didn't, well, you got two choices - either own up, and bring a closure to this childish prank, or get found out, and publicly shamed anyway.

The end result would be the same.

But perhaps you might not get sued if you apologized. Then again, you're a coward, aren't you?

It'll be interesting to find out who this guy is.

zaren said:

Don't quite agree with u zaren. Once you got hold of the other party's ID and use it without consent, it's already a chargeable offence.

One example may be a person discovered that someone has used his account to log in to his bank account without doing a transaction. No property lost right? Should this be a chargeable offence? I would definitely think so.

r32 said:
It is obviously a fellow photographer; he might even be someone Tim knows. Though there is the distinct possibility that he may have hidden his tracks so well by using a public access terminal, one fact that remains is that he might not have been smart enough to do so in the first place.

The track may still lead back to him with enough detective work and effort.

My question to the perpertrator is this: Did you use a public access terminal? If you did, good for you. If you didn't, well, you got two choices - either own up, and bring a closure to this childish prank, or get found out, and publicly shamed anyway.

The end result would be the same.

But perhaps you might not get sued if you apologized. Then again, you're a coward, aren't you?

It'll be interesting to find out who this guy is.

well, if he did made effort to cover his track, then for sure he's doing it with full intention to cause damages to whoever he wants to.

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

i dun think owning up/apologies are in his list of choices right now...get the IP and let the police take over....

hmm... quite jia lat... first, we got a couple of jokers posting, volunteering to be models and now this... i hope the CS forum won't be abused by such pranksters. :nono:

Sorry Tim, but if you look closely enough, there really is no legal case.

The person did NOT log into your account. He merely posted a comment, using the nick "Oeyvind" and supplied a bogus email addy in that. I don't think you can lay complete claim over the "oeyvind" name can you?

He did leave behind your HP number though (I assume that's your HP no), but I really don't think there's much of a case. He can say his name is "Tim" also, and he put in a wrong HP number.

Yes, we all know he was out to do harm. But I hardly think that authorities in sg has a case.

PS. Nice pics.

Wow, you registered just to post?

The email address is mine, my website is www.oeyvind.org, and oeyvind is the nick I usually use since 1997. The cell # is mine as well.

No case? We will see... :think:

Troll said:

The person did NOT log into your account. He merely posted a comment, using the nick "Oeyvind" and supplied a bogus email addy in that. I don't think you can lay complete claim over the "oeyvind" name can you?

He did leave behind your HP number though (I assume that's your HP no), but I really don't think there's much of a case. He can say his name is "Tim" also, and he put in a wrong HP number.

Yes, we all know he was out to do harm. But I hardly think that authorities in sg has a case.

PS. Nice pics.

Troll said:

PS. Nice pics.

Everything worth to try......I don't like to see people do evil deed and get away with it....

Troll said:

PS. Nice pics.

Well, in my opinion, this sounds like a convincing argument, but there is still a case. The odds that a person that's named Tim and uses a similar HP no. to Oeyvind on the same forum is quite impractically high. Let's just assume that this 'Tim' has entered the HP by mistake, Oeyvind can still lay claim to damages done by any nuisance calls that he receive as a result of this 'Tim's
mistake. And if this 'Tim' decline to make a public apology for his mistake, it can already be interpreted as criminal intent.

:think:

tim, update us on what happen ok? hope u get the guy soon. btw, what's your hp huh? ;p

Prismatic said:
Well, in my opinion, this sounds like a convincing argument, but there is still a case. The odds that a person that's named Tim and uses a similar HP no. to Oeyvind on the same forum is quite impractically high. Let's just assume that this 'Tim' has entered the HP by mistake, Oeyvind can still lay claim to damages done by any nuisance calls that he receive as a result of this 'Tim's
mistake. And if this 'Tim' decline to make a public apology for his mistake, it can already be interpreted as criminal intent.

sorry to hear about all these out to harm a good photographer's name.

but what Troll (who registered just to post) said has a point. and no, you cannot lay claim to oeyvind simply because you've used it for 7 years. i've used sequitur for as long but as long as you don't register it as a trademark, then it doesn't belong to you. i believe there're certain people with trademarked names... if i'm not wrong david beckham is one of them. or is it robbie williams ? something along that line.

as for catching the idiot, guess the authorities will deal with him. anyway i don't think anybody will pay money to surf net at cybercafes anymore ain't it.. ?

oeyvind said:
Wow, you registered just to post?

The email address is mine, my website is www.oeyvind.org, and oeyvind is the nick I usually use since 1997. The cell # is mine as well.

No case? We will see... :think:

Well, if the email address and cell number is your, you might have a case. But the crime is probably only marginal identity assumption. Remember, no hacking was done in this case. Having the nick for a long time still do not give you complete cliam over it. No law in SG (or the world for that matter) protects an internet nick yet (not that I know of). It aint legally your name, so :dunno:

Case? maybe... but then again, are you willing to pay the legal fees to pursue this? It might cost you plenty of money, and give u no tangible results. I'd bet the SG polis will be less than interested in your case. It makes no sense to pursue this case in a legal context (at least in monetary terms). U might spend thousands of dollars for lawyers, but might only end up getting an apology if the judge thinks this is just prank... (tracking the bugger down is another matter all together).

Face it, it isn't ecommerce break-in, not even hacking.... i seriously doubt the polis will handle it. Any SPF people in here wanna tell us otherwise?

It's a risk all internet users take when they choose to make info about them public...

All the best...

Troll,

Thanks for your "concern"... I will pursue this!

Status
Not open for further replies.