Ppl who post one liner negative comments - your views?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For myself, frankly I do not mind harsh critiques but such one liner comments are not really helpful. A good critique should give a good explanation on what went wrong, what should be done to correct the pic, and other possible ways to improve the pic etc.

Like others said, certain one liners speak volumes. If the "flash is too harsh", what more do you want to say about the shot. The statement adequately describes a shortcoming. I don't think a lengthy explanation on how to use a flash is necessarily going to solve the problem at hand. And most of the time the setup of the shot is not explained, eg position of strobes, camera settings used etc... without such notes it would be impossible to give an accurate suggestion as to how corrections can be made.

I thought the one liners you quoted are quite useful what.

"Flash looks too harsh"

"Looks oversharpened to me"

"Skin tone wrong"

"Your WB (white balance) wrong"

"underexposed, need to adjust"

"horizon tilted"

What else do you expect?
"Horizon tilted at 1.2 degrees to the right. Please rotate it back using photoshop, measure tool. Then use arbituary rotate under the menu bar"

too wordy right?

Some examples:

Would you appreciate and learn from such comments in your threads?

For myself, frankly I do not mind harsh critiques but such one liner comments are not really helpful. A good critique should give a good explanation on what went wrong, what should be done to correct the pic, and other possible ways to improve the pic etc.

Your views on this?

Firstly, allow me to state this- a comment need not be a critique though a critique is a comment.

One liner comments are just comments, they are not meant to be critiques in the first place.
Moreover, no one is beholden to give detailed critiques, if every reply has to be detailed then many people may just stop commenting altogether.

I think we should all just learn to sieve the wheat from the chaff.

one liner positive comment:

"no horse run!"

"chio model!"

"real hot babe!"

"nose bleed!"

Does this sound much better to you?

may be it is easier to accept one liner positive comment rather the negative...

Some examples:

Your views on this?

I am not a writer .. :bsmilie: soemtime one liner can already pass the message across liao .. :sticktong

Some examples:

Your views on this?

Well the examples you give, I find the comments good enough. It points out what exactly the person feels its wrong.

Better than if the comment is just:
- bad pose
- something is not right
- not nice

these you cant even tell what is wrong & don't know what to improve on.

Anyway, not much people will spend so much time to type a lot of comments.

i think most of the comments u stated r more or less self explanatory...

perhaps u shud take the comment n do some of ur research/studying/revising n apply to ur image.. i guess all of us r guilty of wanting to be spoonfed once in a while.. but i think when u actually get down to learning on ur own, u will learn more..

So what he's saying is that he wants people to give him essays on his photos so he'll feel more respected and important and not like some newbies who just started to post for critique.

Haha ... .......
when DP wrote essays on photos .... he also got slammed.:sweat:
One liner, you die..... one long essay, you also die!

Haha ... .......
when DP wrote essays on photos .... he also got slammed.:sweat:
One liner, you die..... one long essay, you also die!

DP has an eye for details, his comments are honest but blunt.

IMHO one liner such as "Ur WB is all over the place" serves a better purpose than one that goes " Ur pic is horrible"

At least the former you have a lead in looking at what had went wrong.

DP wrote essays, but ppl who slam are those who are not able to accept critics

well say....
anyhow also die.. then why write so much leh.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I agree with ortega that some one-liners are as good as a long essay. Comments that are too lengthy can sometimes be penalised for nit picking.
Maybe something between one-liner and an essay lar. Short, concise sentences in a short paragraph would be good.

Anyway, there is no right or wrong in how a person reply in the thread, each person has his own style. But my point is when the comment is short and negative, perhaps the person who made it should elaborate what doesn't work and why. That way perhaps the TS can learn and understand better, and it helps in the overall learning process.

Terence has made a good point, most people do not post their picture settings along with their pictures which makes detailed critique difficult, but I have seen one e.g whereby the TS posted full technical info and yet get a short and generally unhelpful answer whereby the person just commented three words "flash too harsh" without elaborating exactly why he/she felt that way.

Well, I still find these one liners useful leh

"Flash looks too harsh" = adjust your flash compensation

"Looks oversharpened to me" = sharpen less

"Skin tone wrong" = correct your skin tone

"Your WB (white balance) wrong" = adjust yor white balance

"underexposed, need to adjust" = expose correctly

"horizon tilted" = level your horizon

Unless one is a true blue newbie, I dun think there's a need to spell out how all the rectification can be done right? In that case, each if such comment can become a tutorial by itself.

Then again if you are a true blue newbie, I'd suggest you go read up more on photography before picking up the hobby seriously la.

Kenny

Point of putting up your photo for critique is to find out what others think about it.
A one liner is better than no comment at all, which gives you no clue about what a viewer thought about your photo. I would be happier with a few one liners than no comments at all.

When you are critiquing a number of pics its just no possible to be verbose with all your comments. Being concise and to the point is the only feasible way of airing your views on a number of pics.

wat's wrong with a one liner if it gets the message across? it may serve the same function with more clarity than a 10 page review

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.