Post pictures to The Straits Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make them sign a contract with a lawyer as witness stating a single clause, "Shld the clauses on [xxx] contract be changed in anyway whatsoever that puts the photographer at a serious disadvantage to his future obligations whatsoever shall render [xxx] contract null and void, with compensations of up to [insert obscene amount here] be paid to the photographer as compensation for the mental anguish as well as any future damages which might be possibly incurred as a result of this."

How's that for business-like? :eek:

Good one.. I really feel ST is really painting themselves to be some cheapo low budget paper.

They got so many 'good' photog liao like, why they still want our amature photos???
I really dun expect such a big press will do this kind of 'cheapskate' thing!!! For me, I am not ready to giving away free pics. :nono:

Oh what a fun thread that for some reason I decided to ignore initially :)

Actually, looking at the terms, clause [6] is a pretty standard clause found in almost all competition or publication terms. I'm not saying it's good, but I can understand if the publication doesn't want to be held accountable for any trouble they get into because of the content of your image (for instance, you took the image illegally, or used it illegally).

In terms of clause [1], well it's a sad fact that more and more organisations are making cheap grabs at photographers, particularly aspiring ones who don't stop to read the fine print.

As to not expecting the Straits Times to do such a thing... I don't find it all that surprising to be honest. Singapore is a society that places a very low emphasis on artistic integrity, and very high regard for financial gain. My justification being the fact that they have done exactly what they did in this rights grab.

I would be *very* surprised if you get a response from them, Bernard. Bearing in mind ST folks might possibly come across this, I would love to hear a reply to Bernard.

SMC, the Straits Times might be the biggest news organisation in Singapore, but therein lies the problem. They have no competition, aside from TNP, which strangely enough is also owned by SPH. And while I know there are one or two other publications since I left, I also know they are not serious competitors, and are further either struggling or have folded. Not a healthy situation.

Most of the responses seem rather negative, and seem to behold a grudge and angst against The Straits Times, as though they are this big bully.

Probably their
photolog idea doesn't appeal to professional photographers like you guys. Maybe they are promoting interactivity on their website. Some form of user participation know what I mean? If you check out what they have right now, you'll see pictures that I personally find poor. But maybe sent in by some uncle or aunty delighted with their simple digital camera...

daphz said:
Most of the responses seem rather negative, and seem to behold a grudge and angst against The Straits Times, as though they are this big bully.

Probably their
photolog idea doesn't appeal to professional photographers like you guys. Maybe they are promoting interactivity on their website. Some form of user participation know what I mean? If you check out what they have right now, you'll see pictures that I personally find poor. But maybe sent in by some uncle or aunty delighted with their simple digital camera...
Haven't been to that site since seeing the clauses alone disgusts me a little.

But seeing ur comments, drew me to the site... Wad can I say?

Nice crotch, doggie and nude shots. :D I got nothing against the photographer of photo #2, and I daresay that my skills ain't really good, but...

Wun photo #2 be better IF it's shot on a tripod? :confused:

daphz said:

Probably their

No. Indeed. But there is no need for them to claim full rights to the images. Although I agree the chance of them gaining from it is remote. The fact is if you brought your dog to a dog show, you wouldn't expect the organisers to claim your dog as property afterwards.

The worst part is the uncle or aunty delighted with their simple digital camera is even more unlikely to be aware of their rights and what is being taken from them.

Jed said:
The worst part is the uncle or aunty delighted with their simple digital camera is even more unlikely to be aware of their rights and what is being taken from them.

well yeah, but to aunty/uncle (we're assuming here, of course!), a photo is a simple photo. Probably won't even think of them to gain financially. but to spread the picture of their dog/fish/son/daughter/bird/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.