Possible to shoot good images at night without a camera stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While i understand members' frustrations over TS's persistent questions and "excuses" but i think there isn't a need for word play which in other words is a not-so-nice word to describe a person. Let me share that i used to know someone to mock all landscape shooters coz he has a "state of the art" (to him) canon 5dm3 so he feels landscape shooters are "stupid" and "noob" coz they need a tripod while he can bump iso for all his scapes. I just smiled and excuses myself. You have a choice to not reply. Don't have to rally people against one person.

That said, TS, in life there are norms and ways we behave that in some cases set us apart from others. In this case, people may react badly to you, maybe it is also good to do some soul searching and look at what you have said to see if you do actually invite some bad responses?

I believe its common to meet 1 or 2 such big ego person in any types of photography.
I would have just smile at him too but laugh inside my heart..hehe
anyway my previous post on the impromptu shot of a building was on a 1Dx :p

Guys. That is enough. If you are not happy with TS or his reactions, you can simply ignore the thread and move on. No need to get riled up. Grow up please and go out and shoot more or have a coffee, or whatever.

This is newbie's corner and the rule on newbie's corner is very clear and strict on bullying.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1091136
Warnings served.

For those who gave genuine advice, thank you. Please do not feel that your advice is falling on deaf ears. Many will be reading, and you never know, some folks might stumble in via a text search and learn something. That is the beauty of a forum.

Last edited:
BTW TS.... answering your question in the title... yes it is possible. But you need to understand the basics of photography well enough, so that you know exactly what to do to get the best possible shot with the light you are given.

Shot handheld with a Nikon V1 camera (which many says are not that good). Would I use the tripod if I have the chance? Sure I will. I had 5 mins to get off the bus, run into the firled, shoot this scene and return. So decided to do it without a tripod. Is it possible? Yes.
15576691320_0494171d86_c.jpg

Shot handheld with a Nikon V1 camera (which many says are not that good)
15576074678_2a502080c1_c.jpg

Shot handheld with a mobile phone.
15737888146_d3ed6d6fd2_b.jpg

Last edited:
Usually when you turn up the iso the pictures will look more grainy so perhaps use software to reduce the graininess?

For those with dslrs you would change to a better lens, turn up the iso but the lens will reduce the graininess right?

TS, a very simple answer to your question:

1. Yes, when you increase the ISO, you'll introduce more noise / grain into your picture. This is physics.
2. Yes, you can use software to reduce the noise / grain. But only to a certain extend, after which you start to lose details. How far you can go really depend on your standard of a clean yet usable image.
3. On better lens: not sure what you mean with better, but yes, to get the same exposure with same shutter speed, lenses with fast / bigger aperture (say f1.4 or f1.2) will allow you to use lower ISO compared with slower lenses (say f5.6). And no, lens does not directly reduce noise / grain.

Other than that, the triangle rule of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture (plus depth of field) still applies. Use them according to your need, know the limit, and use tripod if you want/need to.

This is newbie's corner and the rule on newbie's corner is very clear and strict on bullying.
Warnings served.

Could you kindly explain why I have been served a warning?

I think in terms of harshness, it would not be difficult to find some of your previous posts in Newbies Corner that are equally harsh, if not more harsh.

The only explanation I can find is that you looked at the original post, not the edited post. In which case, sure, I agree that the original post was a bit too much, which is why I edited it.

Cheers.

Apparently, your modified post that still has H1-sized words "A TRIPOD" is considered (not shouting but) screaming on a thread that initially asked for advice *without a tripod*.

For me, although the general tone of the modified post is not that *screaming* but the <H1>A TRIPOD</H1> is indeed a big red flag for trolling.

I just thought of something brilliant!

You could get a night vision camera...LOL

Lighten up folks it is just a camera forum...let's move on...yes shooting good images in low light has been the bane of camera folks forever...think about what those poor b-stards with their old box cameras had to go through to get the shot with their super slow film and lenses even in daylight! No tripod was not an option in those days.

Next question please... :)

Last edited:
Guys. That is enough. If you are not happy with TS or his reactions, you can simply ignore the thread and move on. No need to get riled up. Grow up please and go out and shoot more or have a coffee, or whatever.

Warnings served.

For those who gave genuine advice, thank you. Please do not feel that your advice is falling on deaf ears. Many will be reading, and you never know, some folks might stumble in via a text search and learn something. That is the beauty of a forum.

with all due respect, I find it disturbing that this particular member has been exceptionally well protected by the mods in terms of the questions he/she has been repeatedly asking, which seems to be turning around in circles with no particular showing of "improvement in knowledge". i have no idea what value this brings to any newbie out there reading.

while i understand that i may be served a warning or banned, i find it particularly disturbing that you will drop in to ban people or serve warnings without fully understanding the situation. i think what this forum needs is libertarian paternalism, not north korean style dictatorship, and possibly more people given shared power in case it is abused.

Reactions: edutilos-
Apparently, your modified post that still has H1-sized words "A TRIPOD" is considered (not shouting but) screaming on a thread that initially asked for advice *without a tripod*.

For me, although the general tone of the modified post is not that *screaming* but the <H1>A TRIPOD</H1> is indeed a big red flag for trolling.

Oh ok, if you see it that way... I just merely wanted to emphasize that if you want the best out of your camera, then sometimes, there is no getting away from it all.

But I can see why the large text to lend emphasis may be taken another way.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You could put your camera on a stable surface and prop it up with something to get the right angle. I used to do this sometimes. Worked well.

Or you could get a handy small tripod like this that can be attached to a pole or small tree.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239963-REG/Ultrapod_PD02010_2_Black.html

I have tripod but sometimes no time to set it up or the place not easy to set it.

with all due respect, I find it disturbing that this particular member has been exceptionally well protected by the mods in terms of the questions he/she has been repeatedly asking, which seems to be turning around in circles with no particular showing of "improvement in knowledge". i have no idea what value this brings to any newbie out there reading.

while i understand that i may be served a warning or banned, i find it particularly disturbing that you will drop in to ban people or serve warnings without fully understanding the situation. i think what this forum needs is libertarian paternalism, not north korean style dictatorship, and possibly more people given shared power in case it is abused.

If you go back over some of the OP's posts in this forum you will soon discover that the reason he asks all of these questions, some of them the same question worded differently, is because he is trying to expand his mind concerning photography. I recognize this in him because I operate in much the same manner. Please we need to give a little more respect to one another. Albert is just trying to keep order in the house. This is probably a hard job to do so I enjoin you to swallow your pride and go along with what he has decided. Just realize the bro is maybe a beginner that is all. Help him they are trying to do..protecting him not... :)

If you go back over some of the OP's posts in this forum you will soon discover that the reason he asks all of these questions, some of them the same question worded differently, is because he is trying to expand his mind concerning photography. I recognize this in him because I operate in much the same manner. Please we need to give a little more respect to one another. Albert is just trying to keep order in the house. This is probably a hard job to do so I enjoin you to swallow your pride and go along with what he has decided. Just realize the bro is maybe a beginner that is all. Help him they are trying to do..protecting him not... :)

I surf other forums as well, and this is one of the few, make that only, forum which serve warnings or bans so freely.

Yes, North Korea keeps order with a strict regime, but in this day, is such a system still relevant?

And judging by your join date, I guess you've missed out a lot on what Soulblade88 has been posting on ClubSnap over the past few months.

Hopefully I won't be served warning points for contributing my opinion.

again, with all due respect, i think its beyond logic why the mod can have two clear distinct styles of replying newbies, and it has been very situation depending. there were many instances where people were sent to "find answers using the search function before asking"

and, as the mod suggested, TS should be the one that should "go out and shoot more" to learn, and not asking questions to get theoretical answers

I surf other forums as well, and this is one of the few, make that only, forum which serve warnings or bans so freely.

And judging by your join date, I guess you've missed out a lot on what Soulblade88 has been posting on ClubSnap over the past few months.

Oh trust me sir this forum is most definitely not my first horse race and despite what you think there are some pretty Nazi like photography forums in the world...this one is TAME and respectful...LOL

Quite the contrary, I have read every one of his posts, and I call them how I see them...refer to statement in above post...

Look I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with anyone I'm just saying have a little heart and try to understand why the man does what he does...he is trying to learn...give the man a break you were probably at this stage once too maybe you just didn't need to have things spelled out to you several times before it sank in. I would also give you advice on Albert too but then that would probably be pretentious on my part.

Last edited:
again, with all due respect, i think its beyond logic why the mod can have two clear distinct styles of replying newbies, and it has been very situation depending. there were many instances where people were sent to "find answers using the search function before asking"

and, as the mod suggested, TS should be the one that should "go out and shoot more" to learn, and not asking questions to get theoretical answers

MOD is just human bro...he has bad days too unfortunately. It is no big deal trust me...relax let it go man! Room for everyone...

Let us cut all the argument. A mod had made his decision, and thats it. It is not about protecting, helping or habouring someone. It is about having some order in a forum.

Again. If you cannot or would not help someone, find someone irritating or think that someone is wasting your time, then ignore that someone and move along, rather than insulting him/her, shouting at him/her or generally being rude. We work hard to keep this forum a courteous and polite place to go. Everyone had the right to ask question.

And I believe most of us have already given our share of opinions and whether TS acknowledge what was adviced to him or not. Let us all move on.

Actually, the problem is solvable.
We just need to take up the proper course.
After that... wow! .... invincible...
1 min shutter speed is also possible.

Just need to learn this....

Statue-Busker-1179690.jpg

:D

TS, seriously, look at what is being used by the US Army in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc during night ops.
Just all noisy green picts from the NVD.
Thats the reality of what is possible even when money is no object.
So its a long way to go (if ever) for hand held very low light shots with the quality of ISO100.

There is also that photo stacking NR function that the Sony (probably on other cams as well) has.
Maybe you want to give that a shot too.

In the end, need to lower expectations, find the best hand holdable setting and brace, and/or use a tripod.

Last edited:
Could you kindly explain why I have been served a warning?

I think in terms of harshness, it would not be difficult to find some of your previous posts in Newbies Corner that are equally harsh, if not more harsh.

The only explanation I can find is that you looked at the original post, not the edited post. In which case, sure, I agree that the original post was a bit too much, which is why I edited it.

Cheers.

How would if you feel if I reply you in BIG FONTS BOLD?

We have time and time again reminded CSers in the past on doing this. CSers have been deregistered in the past for this.

Please read the standing order in Newbie's Corner. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1091136

If you are unhappy with TS for his questions, you can simply ignore and move on. No need to be condescending nor rude in your posts. And you sent us a report post, asking us to infract TS for posting this question. We find no fault with TS asking these questions, even though he might not like the answers. Every one learns at their own pace and style. The moment TS posts in Newbie's Corner, he is accorded the same treatment and protection as stated in the link shown above. But senior members lashing out at Newbies in Newbie's Corner is NOT acceptable.

Warning stands and don't try it again in the future.

Last edited:

All ban and deregistration is first discussed within the mod/Admin community then executed. It is not a summary decision on the spot, so you know. If other mods find that the posts and actions warrants deregistration, then it will happen.

Newbie corner has a very strict policy. Please read the sticky. By giving out Guideline reminders, we are already very lenient, as the actions can warrant a direct major infraction.

Rules are there for a reason. To keep order in the forum. And most folks here do not understand the amount of BS the mod community have to go through and take care of everyday. All most members see is the smooth flowing of the forum and the events organized. Not many will truly appreciate the hard work that goes into making this a better place. Many times we have to make tough decisions. Some folk's ego will be hurt. But sorry, we have to do what needs to be done. If you have a problem with that, please take it up with the Admins.

BTW, ClubSNAP is not a democracy. It is owned by the Admins, like it or not. If you want to participate here, you have to follow the house rules. All we mods do is just enforce the rules. Like it or not. If you feel the rule is not just, please take it up with the Admins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.