Poor student shouted hysterically to himself at Hougang MRT station today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahbian said:
Actually, I brought up the possiblity of autism because I do know one who behaves like that AND studies near the Hougang area. Just hope people would not ridicule him if they chance upon him in that situation.

This is interesting, let me share a quote then

'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

source of quote? apparently Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

worse still when parents themselves spoiling the market. have experience before parents scolding their maids in front of their kids even though the maid was trying to quiet down the kids. particularly parents scolding the maids 'stupid' in front of the children. thus making the children fear no one(adult particularly).

think carefully, sometimes adult themselves are disrespectfull of their own parents. their children followed on........

well, who's the real culprit of all these mess????? ME!!!!!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Newman said:
Actually shouting helps to relieve the stress. It's those who suffer silently that we should be aware of.

Ya true. But not at an MRT STATION or public places with so many people!

alwayschampion said:
Why you never snap out your camera phone and take a video or photo and send it to STOMP whahahha !:bsmilie:

First of all, my phone has a lousy camera which makes picture really bad in low light condition.
Secondly, lousy phone means outdated phone, also means no video recording capability.

Finally, it's just not right to show this guy's face lah...

ahbian said:
Actually, I brought up the possiblity of autism because I do know one who behaves like that AND studies near the Hougang area. Just hope people would not ridicule him if they chance upon him in that situation.

'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

I know I wun ridicule him for his actions. I actually respect his ability to release his steam in public. Most will just suffer in silence..

ahbian said:

Well his school is IN Hougang. Hmm, this is actually the first time i've seen a student (or anyone at this age) doing such thing.

Other strange encounters include a middle age woman talking to 'invisible' people in Bras Basah Macdonalds 2nd level, talked SO loudly I can hear her clearly even with listening to my Ipod. I'm very sure she's not on the phone. It wasn't crowded, but everybody was staring at her. Then as she walked towards the staircase, she stopped and stared towards my direction and said a whole lot of english + mandarin which makes no sense and I almost wanted to laugh when she said "Ala Carte". I was thinking HUH???

I began to realize people like these is increasing many folds in the recent years. I certainly don't remember there are many people like these 10 years ago. It's rather a norm these days.. :( Which is a sad case.

i wonder if anyone offer this poor boy some assistance eg. a shoulder to lean on or a listening ear. or we are just too busy with our lives and have no time for others.

reachme2003 said:
i wonder if anyone offer this poor boy some assistance eg. a shoulder to lean on or a listening ear. or we are just too busy with our lives and have no time for others.
Agree.. We are just too busy with our lives and have no time for others. But then again, how many would even bother what happen to the boy? All he gets will be stares and people moving on to what they're doing...

reachme2003 said:

Sad to say, at that situation, I was rushing off to meet a client. So I just rushed into the train which is about to move off.
Otherwise I'd go ahead and help him.

G-man said:
Sorry Nisa, but other than to facilitate the education of a child and ensure the child's safety during school hours, why should the school help out in looking after your child?

As they say, education begins AT HOME. The school and their teachers are facilitators to enhance the education process. They are not the children's nanny.

I agree with you that the teachers are there to facilitate the education of a child, but not too sure about the child's safety during school hours. I think the school should help out in looking out for the kid, esp when the family had made special arrangments with the school about it, like noticing if she behave differently in a class environment, or if she is not paying attention in the class.
I am not asking the teachers to be nanny, i am just asking the school to give her a bit more attention, so we can feedback to the therapists how to better help her. Education do begins at home, and on my side, i just want to work with the school. But if the school is not able to handle her, then maybe Singapore educational system should be more flexiable to let us take her out of it and place her in another environment which would be more helpful to her. Instead of giving us empty promises EVERY time we go to the school.
I am sick and tired of hearing things like she's just a slow learner and having her promoted again and again, even when she has not passed a single test or exam, except chinese in primary 1 for the past 4 years. It is not fair to the child, when the teacher can write "She should try harder. She needs to adopt a positive attitude towards her studies". ALLO! how else more you want a kid to be positive towards her studies when she is not passing any thing? The school and I know that she can't survive in there, so just help us to take her out of it already! That's all i am asking, and i won't even bother the school anymore after this.

dkw said:
I think you'd have to be pretty brave to leave the school to raise your child for you. The teachers have 30 other students to look after, how much time do they have to get to know your kid and solve his problems?:dunno: If they do a good job teaching the academic stuff I'll be grateful already.

Ultimately its the parents' responsibility.

I don't let the school raise a child. I know they are not able to. What i am saying is, the school is where a child would learn most of her/his social skills.

Anyway, i just feel most teachers in this particular school, are not equipped to handle special cases. The school had given us so much empty promises, and it's foolish of me not to persist in doing what i felt should have been done 2 years ago. I just hope it's not too late for her.

Newman said:
Actually shouting helps to relieve the stress. It's those who suffer silently that we should be aware of.

its actually widely agreed upon, but research has shown that letting out stress thru shouting/hitting etc actually does you more harm than good :p (learnt that in psychology class)... lol~

but about the kid... i do think that living in SG is v stressful... im just back in SG for the past 2 days and I'm feeling the stress... or is Thailand too stress-free... haha

ParkertR said:
its actually widely agreed upon, but research has shown that letting out stress thru shouting/hitting etc actually does you more harm than good :p (learnt that in psychology class)... lol~

but about the kid... i do think that living in SG is v stressful... im just back in SG for the past 2 days and I'm feeling the stress... or is Thailand too stress-free... haha

Alright, I thought I saw 'past 2 years', and I read it again, it's 'past 2 DAYS'! Oh my gosh! So fast and you can feel the stress?

I think I heard that Singapore is one of the most livable country in the world isn't it? I guess if you loaded, yes Singapore is a great place to stay. Otherwise I've experienced countries and cities that are much more livable than Singapore, even if I'm the only yellow-skin in a society of whites.

behyx said:
Alright, I thought I saw 'past 2 years', and I read it again, it's 'past 2 DAYS'! Oh my gosh! So fast and you can feel the stress?

I think I heard that Singapore is one of the most livable country in the world isn't it? I guess if you loaded, yes Singapore is a great place to stay. Otherwise I've experienced countries and cities that are much more livable than Singapore, even if I'm the only yellow-skin in a society of whites.

Yup, Singapore is "livable" country and its consider best perhaps in South East Asia...
U dun have to think, basically the government is ur financial planner, plan until just enuf for everything..:angry:

Went Australia many years back, stay for slightly more than a week oni, minute i reach Singapore, i feel stress, the pace is really different..y can't we adopt that kind of standard as World Class Living?

think tat poor student lost big money during WorldCup...more shoutings to be expected when the IRs are up..

This is the result of technological progress in any area. Soft is just a term used by the older people to show off their old battle scars...

I can say using a computer is "soft" compared to a manual typewriter.
I can say using a mobile phone is "soft" compared to a pager
etc etc

No matter who is the one saying, one generation ago is surely "harder". So basically to say that the new generation is softer, is essentially a rather non-starter to begin with.

yanyewkay said:
i see.. i do agree that kids are softer these days though.. but wasn't that what the previous generation said about my generation? :dunno: :bsmilie:

blazer_workz said:
Went Australia many years back, stay for slightly more than a week oni, minute i reach Singapore, i feel stress, the pace is really different..y can't we adopt that kind of standard as World Class Living?
Strange, I find the pace here pretty slow after coming back from HKG..........you should come to HKG or Tokyo or New York, then you know what high pace living is! Business there is done mucho higher and faster then here! :)

Also, when I was at highschool in Holland (more than 22 years ago), we had 6 languages for the first 4 years and 3 languages in the last two years (2 last years same as JC here), apart from the other subjects like maths, chemistry, history, physics, biology, sports, geography etc.....and we never complaint about the workload. And I can't remember having much homework.......I think schools here are giving their kids too many homework. And too many extra curriculum activities.........too much emphasis on memorizing things, instead of understanding how things work, but this may have changed now after the reno of the education?

Hong Sien

:dunno:
hongsien said:
Strange, I find the pace here pretty slow after coming back from HKG..........you should come to HKG or Tokyo or New York, then you know what high pace living is! Business there is done mucho higher and faster then here! :)

Also, when I was at highschool in Holland (more than 22 years ago), we had 6 languages for the first 4 years and 3 languages in the last two years (2 last years same as JC here), apart from the other subjects like maths, chemistry, history, physics, biology, sports, geography etc.....and we never complaint about the workload. And I can't remember having much homework.......I think schools here are giving their kids too many homework. And too many extra curriculum activities.........too much emphasis on memorizing things, instead of understanding how things work, but this may have changed now after the reno of the education?

Hong Sien

Agree wif u abt the Hong Kong pace..even cannot catch their normal walking pace..its like running..
Since everybody knows abt the difference in pace..why we never learn to slow down..:dunno:

It may seems that there is no war between countries..but deep within a econmomic war is fighting on..every country competing to be world class...but have they ever think of taking a breather and aid the less developed countries in picking up..economic wise NO..but when countries encounter disaster..aids are flying in..why? charity? NO! act of being world class..:thumbsd: :angry:

its the society that forces us to be wat we r, wat we have..but who is in the making of the society..policymaker and media..

Something tells me that this worldwide phenomenon will not be sustainable in the next 30 years.

I feel that we are reaching breaking point soon.

Anyone here has read Krugman's works?

blazer_workz said:
Yup, Singapore is "livable" country and its consider best perhaps in South East Asia...
U dun have to think, basically the government is ur financial planner, plan until just enuf for everything..:angry:

think tat poor student lost big money during WorldCup...more shoutings to be expected when the IRs are up..

Ah! I have to agree with you totally.

One of the cities I was talking about is Melbourne. I was there for 10 days, and I felt the pace of life there totally fits me, and I felt so comfortable after my 2nd day there. Love it so much that I don't feel like coming back to Singapore.

After I ORD from army in Aug 2005, I went for a month long trip to Scandinavia, and despite it's high cost of living (comparable to Japan), I can see that people are genuinely happy with their life. There is no status, a working executive working in Stockholm is treated equally with a railway maintenance worker. People don't look down on those who earn lesser, or those who don't have a favorable job.
However when i come back to SG, I find things to be so different! I realized why my parents were eating so fast when I dine with them, and I have to ask them to slow down... 'take your time'... (I can easily spend 2 hours just having dinner and chatting with friends in Sweden). I in fact took a few months to adjust back to SG life. It wasn't easy I must say.

reachme2003 said:

Yeh! calm him down by asking him to do some deep breathing, check to see if he require's assistant, just to be sure that he is in no danger to himself or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.