Poor close-up focusing for Canon A40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Goondu

You can also buy a A40 teleconvertor TC-DC52 (2.4x) which is a 52mm thread lens. You will need to have the 52mm adaptor to fix it to your A40 before mounting the teleconvertor.

TC is more like adding a multiplier for zoom. For example, if the max focal point in the A40 is 105mm, adding a 2x TC will increase the max focal point to 210mm. Of course with a slight degrade in image quality. It is not useful for Macro b'cos it will increase the min focusing distance, forcing you to move further away from the subject. In the end, LPPL.

What is needed for Macro is close-up filter. If at full wide angle the min distance for A40 at macro mode is 16cm, adding a close-up filter will allow much smaller min distance....say 10cm...thus things will look bigger.

Originally posted by revenant

How to adjust DOF in macro mode?

revenant, you getting confused! ->:what:

:D

Macro just a type of photography. Just like portrait, landscape. Macro is taking pictures of objects in large magnifications. Thats all.

Depth of Field is to control blurring of background/foreground. Difficult to explain. Look here : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong2/page13.asp

Scroll down until u see 2 pictures showing sewing threads. Look at the f-stop and the effect it has on the photos.

How to adjust DOF in macro mode?

Same thing... A small Aperture will give a deeper DOF... Look at some of the insect macros people here posted... When not the whole insect is in focus, people will advice to use a smaller aperture.

But in this case, the situation is that the person is too close to the flower for the camera to focus, so the camera ends up focusing something in the background. So what to do? Step back~ ;)

Zoom in for Macro? Yes, when you zoom in for Macro, the minimum focus distance increases, so you need to be further away from the subject. But, due to the zoom, the subject will be larger.... Generally lah...

Close up filters are generally not expensive... Perhaps $20-30 for an inexpesive one. Close up filter allows your camera to focus closer (Shorter minimum focus distance) and thus, the subject can become larger.

yeah, I'm already learning a lot from you guys here. But I still have a lot more to go.

Anyway, I'm not very sure about DOP but I think I catch hold of the aperture and shutter thingy already.

yeah, I'm already learning a lot from you guys here. But I still have a lot more to go.

Anyway, I'm not very sure about DOP but I think I catch hold of the aperture and shutter thingy already.

I define DOF as "the range whereby subjects are in focus". Narrow DOF mean the range where subjects are in focus is narrow. For wide DOF, the range where things are in focus is wide.

Take for example you are taking a picture of a row of marbles (9 in a row with the 1st one nearest to you and the 9th one furthest from you and you focus your camera on the 5th marble (middle marble) to take the shot.

For narrow DOF, the range is small. Hence, your shot will show maybe the 4th,5th & 6th marble as in focus while the rest are blurred.

If you took the shot with a wider DOF, maybe the 3rd to the 7th marbles are in focus while the rest are blurred.

At infinity, e.g. fixed lenses or focus-free lense, if you take the shot, all 9 marbles will be in focus.

hope that helps to explain DOF.

Experts out there, please correct me if my illustration is incorrect. I also want to learn.

Hi may I know which lens adapter and closeup lens can I use for my A40? How much will both of them cost?

If I use something like Hoya +4 filter, how close can I get. My camera now only allows 16cm, so how much improvement will I get? 10 cm?? I need to know the margin of improvement to assess whether it will be a worthwhile investment...thanks.

Regards.

Originally posted by Eddy777
Hi may I know which lens adapter and closeup lens can I use for my A40? How much will both of them cost?

If I use something like Hoya +4 filter, how close can I get. My camera now only allows 16cm, so how much improvement will I get? 10 cm?? I need to know the margin of improvement to assess whether it will be a worthwhile investment...thanks.

Regards.

not sure about the lens adapter, but if there are 3rd party ones, they should be about $20+ each. Original Canon one will cost more. Check with Alan Photo, they have a rack near the cashier point which hangs many types of 3rd party lens adaptor.

With the Hoya closeup +4 filter, you can't decrease your focussing distance. The filter is merely a magnifying glass, which magnifies the image you get at 16cm (in this case). If you want to focus closer, you need to get a macro lens, like the Canon 250D, but that is not cheap. I think there are some cheaper macro lens, and I think Hackie owns one, maybe he can tell you more.

Strange, I was able to do a macro without the subject being out of focus. However, I'm still interested in getting a macro lense to make my marco even bigger.

flower1s.jpg

Original 1600x1200 shots here

Originally posted by Eddy777

Regards.

the hoya +4 filter is about $15~$20 I think ...
but you need to but the adaptor for it .. about $30~$40 for the lens adaptor.
but i not sure what's the improvement ... but shoud be around 10cm .... anyone can confirm ?

Originally posted by copland

Take for example you are taking a picture of a row of marbles (9 in a row with the 1st one nearest to you and the 9th one furthest from you and you focus your camera on the 5th marble (middle marble) to take the shot.

For narrow DOF, the range is small. Hence, your shot will show maybe the 4th,5th & 6th marble as in focus while the rest are blurred.

If you took the shot with a wider DOF, maybe the 3rd to the 7th marbles are in focus while the rest are blurred.

Then how do we know if the focus is sharpest on the 5th marble?

Then how do we know if the focus is sharpest on the 5th marble?

lol...then focus on the 5th marble lor!

oh, is it that whatever object in the centre will be the sharpest?

Yes, the camera will try to get objects within the autofocus window in focus.

Originally posted by cwloo

the hoya +4 filter is about $15~$20 I think ...
but you need to but the adaptor for it .. about $30~$40 for the lens adaptor.
but i not sure what's the improvement ... but shoud be around 10cm .... anyone can confirm ?

up.

I am interested to know also.

I have posted the answer above...

the +4 filter does not reduce the min focussing distance. It merely magnifies the image, so it looks like you've got a closer macro.

the macro lens is the one which will reduce the min focussing distance.

So there is a difference between the closeup filter and macro lens. For a start, the price is helluva difference already.

Wow....Misato,

How did you do that?? Your Macro Pic is very nice.... Am I doing something wrong??

How close was your camera to the flower?

Status
Not open for further replies.