Poll: Do you use a ball head or pan head?

Do you use a Ball head or a Pan head?

Results are only viewable after voting.

i got a benro bh 2-m brandnew at 50, from someone who didnt use it. count it as a good deal:D or else i'll just pick the cheapest alternative.

I use a simple Slik pan head. No complaints there.

foxshade, it is just a ballhead, just that got extra knob that only allows panning motion:

MH-1302-655QR.jpg

Good selection.

Two Markins balls

foxshade, it is just a ballhead, just that got extra knob that only allows panning motion:

MH-1302-655QR.jpg

Oh. I thought this is pan head. The cheapo Sirui one I'm using... looks like that also leh. What's a pan head then? :dunno: those with the long extensions, no knobs one is it?

::edit:: ignore last question.. this is quite informative

Last edited:
Ballhead.. nv a fan of pan head..

Eyeing the RRS to add to my collection :devil:

i would agree with this statement for most conventional shots.

overall, i am still thinking that a ballhead will be better - i found it immensely hard to angle the camera downwards (extreme) in the vertical position easily with my giottos pantilthead.. and shooting upwards into the sky was also impossible because of the limitations of that particular pantilthead.

of course, if there are pantiltheads that manage to overcome this, then please ignore this statement.

I'm not familiar with the head you mentioned.

I tried it with my Gitzo panhead and I can point slightly past 90 deg downwards and skywards. With additional offset of the legs, I'm sure it can go past 100 - 110 degrees with comfortable stability (relative and depending on what lenses are used).

But you're right - a panhead is bulkier than most ballheads in the same load catagories/quality.